Starting Omnipod

slbarron23

I am due to start on the omnipod tomorrow.

I was just about to take my background insulin tonight (Tresiba) and wondered if I am meant to take it?

I haven't been told either way and would presume I would still take it as normal? Tresiba lasts about 3 days so surely this will impact on the pump?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there--- you should have been told to reduce your tresiba-- when i started on omnipod i was told to take half my lantus dose the evening before starting.......

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
either way -- you will have a few weeks getting used to pumping compared to MDI-- important thing is to try and be kind to yourself -- there are a lot of adjustments moving to a pump-- both dosing and psychologically

D

Deleted Account

It is common to start pumping with saline to get you used to the pump.
This is often for about a week.
I carried on injecting during this time and made no changes to my basal until I started pumping insulin.
I would guess (although it is only a guess), you will learn how to fill and attach your pod tomorrow and do this with insulin for a few days.
You should then get instructions about reducing or changing your basal.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It is common to start pumping with saline to get you used to the pump.
This is often for about a week.
I carried on injecting during this time and made no changes to my basal until I started pumping insulin.
I would guess (although it is only a guess), you will learn how to fill and attach your pod tomorrow and do this with insulin for a few days.
You should then get instructions about reducing or changing your basal.

hi @helensaramay
i went live from day 1 and was told to reduce basal the night before

if this op has saline as you suggest hopefully will get better and further insrtuction when going live

slbarron23

I had my intro to it 2 weeks ago and we were shown how to fill the pods and use the handset then - it was a bit weird as the new company had sent their reps and the nurses said it was different to when they had done it before.

Don’t think we will be doing saline - I got the impression we were starting tomorrow!

I might just take my background as normal and see what happens tomorrow ‍♀️

Reactions: porl69

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
The old school method from changing from a long acting insulin to a pump used to be we had to not inject the basal insulin 24 hours in advance. They used to like to start the pump’s basal rate right away. There’s a trend away from that- now they set the basal rate to 0 and let the new person do bolusing. Then when they should be doing a basal injection, then turn the basal rate on.

So if they told you to stop long acting insulin, okay. But if they didn’t, that might not stop you from starting. Temp basal rate at 0% is the workaround.

Last edited:

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hi. I just started with omnipod about two weeks ago. Since I injected lantus in the morning, my trainer told me just to skip it. I love, love, love my pump and hope you will, too. The only problems I've had are trying to use the rest of my insulin from my pens (trainer had a problem, too) and adjusting for illness. The temp basal option works really well for that! I just didn't know I would need 30% more. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Reactions: porl69

slbarron23

It all went good :0

It turns out they do recommend that we half the background insulin the night before/morning of, they just forgot to tell us!

All set up and just got reduced basal on until I think the Tresiba is out of my system! Think that is going to be a bit of a guessing game for a couple of days!

Reactions: Jollymon

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It all went good :0

It turns out they do recommend that we half the background insulin the night before/morning of, they just forgot to tell us!

All set up and just got reduced basal on until I think the Tresiba is out of my system! Think that is going to be a bit of a guessing game for a couple of days!
thanks for the update...........this sort of thing irritates me though--- d they not realise it is our lives we are dealing with here

anyway---- keep testing and be safe
x

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Ask about tresiba as it stays in the system much longer than lantus or levemir

slbarron23

I know! The guys from omnipod were a bit annoyed that the nurses hadn’t said anything!

I did say I was on Tresiba - my reduction finishes at 10pm so I’m going to do thy for another 12 hours to take me to 10am. And then after that I will do a reduction again until 8pm which will be 48 hours since my last tresiba!

If I see I’m rising in that time I will ‘reduce the reduction’

D

Deleted Account

Ask about tresiba as it stays in the system much longer than lantus or levemir
When I transferred to a pump, I was told (and experienced) Lantus can stay in your system for 4 days.
Sure, the peak had gone but I experienced some lows due to some Lantus “residue” for the next 3 days.
This was not a one off. My pump broke earlier this year and I had to return to injections for a few days. When I got my replacement pump, a came off Lantus and had a few days of hypos again.

So, don’t assume, just because the peak of your long acting insulin has gone, you have none in your system.

slbarron23

I have just done my first pod change and all seemed fine.

I still had to reduce my background all day today but it is back to normal now. I have also just eaten 2 hours ago.

My bg has been sat at 17 for just over an hour now.

Could this be to do with the pod not working? Or more likely to just be a backlog from not having any bolus/ Eating?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Well, can you try to do a correction dose with the pod? If it doesn’t move your number in an hour, use a syringe for the correction dose and see if that moves your number.

slbarron23

It eventually went down and seemed to be fine the next day! Got a bit of dried blood under it now after a shower but my blood has still been sat at 5 for the last few hours so seems to still be okay

slbarron23

I have just changed pods again and when I snapped the needle cap off it seemed like it was wet in that section! Is this normal?