Healthy eating

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning Does anyone have any tips for healthy eating whilst low (ish) carbing please?! I try and stick to below 150g carbs a day but I've slipped into bad habits over the years. I sometimes don't eat anything green for days and feel quite run down like I need a big vitamin boost I know it's common sense but I struggle to find the time / motivation to eat healthily these days... x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you know the answer to your question already but need a bit of motivation. Lots of fish, meat, green veg. Nuts, berries. Full fat natural yoghurt. Wholewheat grains. Brown rice and pasta. Perhaps start off tackling one day at a time. Get yourself a day of food planned out and enjoy being in the kitchen making it. Take some notes about your results and how you feel after eating it.
I personally have cut out potatoes and pasta, and feel much better for it. Rarely eat anything sweet apart from my square of 90% dark chocolate after lunch. It is a life style change that works for me but won’t suit everyone.
The time factor is always an issue. Make stuff in batch and freeze if possible. When shopping have a list that you made when feeling positive about sorting your diet and stick to it.
At the end of the day use that common sense to tell yourself that better health and control will ultimately give you more time. Healthy mind healthy body etc!
Also, don’t beat yourself up if you have a bad day. Let’s face it we are all human and boy is it good to rebel occasionally. Just don’t do it everyday.
Good Luck!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd agree with becca59 and add that if you think of 'healthy eating' as something time consuming, difficult and not tasty then this is is a self fulfilling prophecy and you will remain in your familiar groove of eating food you love (or find easy?) that does not love you back!
There is a whole world of tasty low carb, high fat and yummy real food out there. Are yo one of those who are tying to do low carb whilst remainng fearful of fat perhaps?
My suggestion would be to set yourself the challenge of 1 new recipe to get the hang of each week so shake you our of your food doldrums. Maybe start with some veggie soup ...

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for taking time to reply. It's definitely a time / organisational issue with me, I love to cook and have good intentions, I really just need a kick up the bum! Baby steps may work for me, one new recipe a week like you say. Might start with a soup or 2!

I'm happy to eat a high fat diet, sometimes feel like that's all I'm eating though! And chocolate

Off to write a shopping list...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jessie My tip is to get inspired, pick up a cook book and look for ideas, eating low carb and healthy is easy when you have the ingredients already and it's quick and easy to put together, I sometimes fall into the rut of cheese and nuts as they are convenient, but always do a supper packed with veges at night time to get my dose of green stuff, my daughter hates the greens, but she also get's pasta and potatoes which I don't eat, what do you consider unhealthy ?

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jessie My tip is to get inspired, pick up a cook book and look for ideas, eating low carb and healthy is easy when you have the ingredients already and it's quick and easy to put together, I sometimes fall into the rut of cheese and nuts as they are convenient, but always do a supper packed with veges at night time to get my dose of green stuff, my daughter hates the greens, but she also get's pasta and potatoes which I don't eat, what do you consider unhealthy ?

Hi Juicyj! I have loads of cookery books looking pretty on the shelf! I do find it hard to find recipes we all like and end up comprising quite often. Also sometimes don't get round to cooking until 8pm by which time I just need something quick. I know I need to be more organised

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS - I guess I view anything too carby as unhealthy. I do avoid potatoes, pasta, rice etc. x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @jessie

I think you're doing better than you give yourself credit for, ultimately it's the meter which tells me if i'm eating too many carbs or not, so I follow my meter and try and keep in range as much as I can, I also fall off the wagon from time to time like eating out late at night which leaves me high all night, but I don't let it get me down, just start again the next day. I know if I eat lots of carbs that I will end up high and it can take a number of hours and correction doses to get me in range so just avoid them for this reason, sometimes if I plan ahead I can count the carbs and cope but these events are pretty rare.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jessie

I think you're doing better than you give yourself credit for, ultimately it's the meter which tells me if i'm eating too many carbs or not, so I follow my meter and try and keep in range as much as I can, I also fall off the wagon from time to time like eating out late at night which leaves me high all night, but I don't let it get me down, just start again the next day. I know if I eat lots of carbs that I will end up high and it can take a number of hours and correction doses to get me in range so just avoid them for this reason, sometimes if I plan ahead I can count the carbs and cope but these events are pretty rare.

My DN always says I give myself a hard time, as my HBA1C is quite good. My lifestyle is quite hectic, there's always party food, drinks, eating out so I give in to temptation quite regularly! I tend to have a few 'good' weeks then a few 'bad' weeks which is probably why my HBA1C evens out ok. x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We are our own worst enemy sometimes @jessie Don't beat yourself up, my favourite saying when the meter's telling me i've got it wrong is 'next' just learn to understand, accept and move on, your only human but don't dwell on when things go wrong, as long as your HbA1c is good - which it is, then no worries ;)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think the best way to try and eat healthily is to cut out the 4 main badish carbs, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. Replace these with plenty of veg.

This is what i have done for past 6 months or and have also managed to lose almost a stone. I am not too strict, I will maybe eat a roll and sausage or rice, with a curry, but maybe only 2 days a week, mainly at weekends.

I have also reduced my carb intake from around 220g--250g to about 100g -- 120g

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think the best way to try and eat healthily is to cut out the 4 main badish carbs, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. Replace these with plenty of veg.

This is what i have done for past 6 months or and have also managed to lose almost a stone. I am not too strict, I will maybe eat a roll and sausage or rice, with a curry, but maybe only 2 days a week, mainly at weekends.

I have also reduced my carb intake from around 220g--250g to about 100g -- 120g

I agree, although I find it difficult to cut out bread so stick to the lowest carb stuff