Need help ASAP

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve managed to catch a sickness bug, last time I was physically sick was yesterday but I feel absolutely horrendous I’ve not been able to stomach even my medication for other things. I feel so dehydrated despite managing to keep water down. I’ve tested for key tones and fir the first time since having the pump I’ve got 1.2 key tones. Now I know I have to take a 10% correction of total daily dose but is that of your background insulin?
I’m starting to panic and got stop crying

Reactions: youngl31

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
10% of the total daily dose so both bolus and basal,

what were your BGs and was the test on a meter or pee stick?

Reactions: kitedoc

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @LauraR88 Sorry to hear your poorly, try not to panic these bugs are temporary and will pass. Sounds like your doing everything right and drinking fluids too, which is good.

High ketones along with high blood glucose readings 15mmol/l + need to be monitored carefully, if you're high-ish but have insulin on board try not to panic too much, it's when you're running high, insulin isn't touching the sides then time to call to 111 or get checked out at A&E.

How are your BG readings ?

Reactions: Dodo and kitedoc

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just going through similar (UTI but zero appetite) with the pump and m amazed at how high my blood sugars get despite not eating for 5 days . I hope you can put a call into your DSn for reassurance at least. Also it is unlikely to the problem but change the tubing and insertion gear) if your blood sugars are high to rule that one. Your ketones will be high even if your blood sugars are not simply because you are not eating but do keep an eye on both readings and seek help from here or the DSN to make sure you haven't missed anything. Hugs and hope you are back to full strength soon.

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry for the delayed reply. I ended up in hospital
My bloods were fine if not on the low side, it turns out my keytones were due to not being able to keep anything down.
After being on copious amount of drips and given anti sickness I’ve been allowed home. Where I still feel ropey but have stopped being sick.
Thanks again for all your messages

Reactions: Dodo and himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @LauraR88 glad your ok - I know it’s not great being in hospital but very often it’s the best place to be, hope you get well soon x

Reactions: Dodo

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh the joys of being sick with Type 1 Diabetes! Glad to hear you are all better, I was sick in August with a sickness bug I was doing rather good in terms of control but in the end, my poor body couldn't take it anymore, my nurse suggested it'd be better for me to go into hospital to have fluids as I hadn't eaten or drank anything for a fair while. My ketones were surprisingly not too bad and my sugars never really went above 15. Ended up on fluids but other than that I got to keep my pump on and no additional support was needed except for some TLC and rest :hilarious:

Reactions: Dodo and kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @LauraR88, Glad to heat you are out of the woods!! And having to go to hospital is not a defeat, it is commonsense and a matter of putting safety first. I hope your recovery is swift !!
On a pump I must admit that I need at least a 20% increase in both basal and bolus doses to start to have any effect on BSLs during illness.
In conjunction with my DSN I have even resorted to some small doses of short-acting insulin into muscle to get my BSL lower.
I appreciate that it can be scary having insulin when nothing appears to be staying down. I personally take sips of normal, not low cal or sugar-free soft drink or one of the chemist/pharmacy brands of rehydration salts which are used for children with gastro-enteritis from the chemist to try to keep sugar going in if I feel nauseous.
I either set out glasses with the sugary soft drink 1 part to 4 parts water in them to allow the bubbles to come out or heat a glassful for 10 seconds in the microwave to drive out bubbles or reconstitute the packets of the rehydration salts.
I find that sugar in + insulin helps to ease the ketones due to starvation.
Lots of finger pricks to keep track of BSLs and yes, checking ketones and it can take maybe 5 days or so for my insulin doses to approach normal levels.
With feeling poorly the only compensation I can think of is that it probably gets you out of washing up and other household duties!! (The excuse has not always worked for me, though !! Best Wishes. :):):)