glutinous/sticky rice (ball) replacement?

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm looking to make a local (Filipino) dessert called "ginataang bilo-bilo". basically it's a warm dessert stew with cubed tubers like sweet potato and purple yam, then tapioca pearls, jackfruit pieces, bilo-bilo (sticky rice balls, kinda like japanese mochi, but more chewy than sticky, and no sugar added), and a base of coconut milk. it's normally a high-carb dessert, but for us it will be sub sugar for the milk base and maybe less tubers than normal.
i do want to find a good replacement for the sticky rice balls though (it's high-carb, uses rice flour + water). maybe i can get some suggestions? i'll have to pick though if it'll fit the dish lol, but anything of the same consistency would be considered. thanks! :)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you play about with konjac (shiritaki) rice? Its not naturally sticky but I would think adding some psyllium or Glucommanon ( Konjac) powder might give the texture - I don't know, but doubt you could use either of those alone to replace the rice flour. As long as you rinse the Konjac rice for a couple of minutes prior to use, its tasteless and could act as a low carb vehicle for carrying flavours of the dish. Tapioca flour is another option

Last edited:

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Boo1979 thanks for the those suggestions! i have encountered shirataki noodles but didn't know there's also a rice version :O maybe i could mix it with tapioca flour, half of both, hmm. this is interesting. thank you! :)

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please try psyllium husk powder.. Ive seen low carb mochi recipe using this. I use this to substitute corn starch. It works well to make batter thick and sticky. Good luck :)

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you @michita! i will research about psyllium husk powder. have seen it in a healthy options shop but haven't tried yet. thanks again :)

Reactions: michita