Diet Type 2

meghom

My recent partner has type II Diabetes. He was having trouble keeping his BG levels down even with high twice daily doses of Metformin. I did some diet research and found a breakfast mixture in a diet called the "budwig diet" . This diet related mostly to cancer treatment but also talked about what it can do for type 2 diabetes. I have only got him to do the basic budwig mixture so far and it has pulled his BG levels down a huge amount. It worked within 2 days. It consists of flax-seed oil mixed with cottage cheese in a blender. I then added some frozen rasberries and chopped nuts to make a really yummy breakfast. I'm sure you can find it by just googling Budwig mixture. It has been amazing

hallii

You can make porridge with flax seed, just blitz it in the blender and add soy milk (lower carbs than cow's) and microwave.

Make bread using flax seed and sprinkle toasted flax seed on salads. All yummy!

H

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Not everyone considers soy products to be good for you hallii, have a look at this link and make your own mind up, personally I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole but many do.

reasons-to-avoid-soy-milk/ Just put the www. in front of the link :D

(Blog link removed. Google as above)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
halli,

Lactose free milk has half the carbs as normal milk and tastes no different.

Nigel

hallii

Hello Sid, veg.ca/content/view/139/110/
gives the other argument against cow's milk, I think that soy milk IN MODERATION is fine for me, and I agree that lactose free cow's milk is OK if used in moderation.

But I would always choose soy over normal cow's milk, after all I only consume about 100 ml twice or three times a week.

Like many things in life, it's all down to personal choice.

Now a discussion on non meat protiens VS meat would need another topic, and could take up a lot of forum space :D

H

CMichael

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Meghom, just going back to your post about the Budwig mixture, I honestly think this diet is a load of rubbish. I Googled Budwig as you suggest and found websites that tick all the boxes for dodgy science, such as talking about a 'cure for cancer' and a 'cure for type 2 diabetes' and stating that conventional doctors know nothing about these conditions.
If your partner's blood glucose went down after two days on this breakfast it could be because it is composed of fat and protein rather than carbohydrates, or there could be many other coincidental reasons. If the Metformin isn't working for your partner the best thing he can do is go back to his doctor and ask about a change in medication and/or further diet advice.
This is just my opinion of course and I don't mean to criticise you for wanting to do the best for the partner, but I strongly believe this flaxseed oil/cottage cheese mixture is not it.