Ketogenic diet for type 1 DM

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I’m trying to follow the low carbs high fats diet to lose weight and control my BG since my readings are very high (Hb1C=9%)..

Any recommendations? Or anyone can help me to set a daily plan (what to eat and so on)

Thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I’m trying to follow the low carbs high fats diet to lose weight and control my BG since my readings are very high (Hb1C=9%)..

Any recommendations? Or anyone can help me to set a daily plan (what to eat and so on)

Thank you

Hi Dod - I'm not a T1, so wouldn't feel comfortable to have too much input into any dietary suggestions, bearing in mind my body, still producing natural insulin, will react differently to yours.

What sort of levels of carbs/fat are you consuming at the moment, and are you happy to adjust your insulin doses on a meal by meal basis?

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dod - I'm not a T1, so wouldn't feel comfortable to have too much input into any dietary suggestions, bearing in mind my body, still producing natural insulin, will react differently to yours.

What sort of levels of carbs/fat are you consuming at the moment, and are you happy to adjust your insulin doses on a meal by meal basis?

Dear DCUKMod,
Thanks for your reply,
Currently I’m not following a specific diet, however my daily consumption of carbs considered to be high ( I love pasta, potato, rice etc...),
for insulin doses, I don’t have a fixed regimen, actually I’m changing the doses on daily basis, so this won’t be an obstacle for me

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear DCUKMod,
Thanks for your reply,
Currently I’m not following a specific diet, however my daily consumption of carbs considered to be high ( I love pasta, potato, rice etc...),
for insulin doses, I don’t have a fixed regimen, actually I’m changing the doses on daily basis, so this won’t be an obstacle for me

When you say you change your doses daily, do you mean you carb count, to match your food/insulin doses?

This site is soon to launch a T1 Low Carb Program for T1s who would like to use a LC diet as part of their diabetes management regime.

I know @Mel dCP is a low carb fan, but I'm not sure if she's around at the moment.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also check out Dr Keith Runyan's blog
https://ketogenicdiabeticathlete.wo...7-september-2018-update-on-my-t1d-management/

He has been on Keto for a number of years and is meticulous with keeping track of his glucose stats...
upload_2018-11-27_0-2-36.png

Reactions: Colin of Kent

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
\the godfather of keto for type 1s (though he hates to use that term) is Dr Bernstein (the Diabetic Solution). Along with the other good books recommded I like Adam Brown's Diatribe e book (google it) Bright Spots and Landmines.
Personally my basal rate hasn't changed that much (was not aiming for weight loss so this is why) but the surprising thing is that I still need to bolus for protein but about half what I'd normally bolus.
My approach as not been to dive straight off the high board into a very low carb diet but to reduce one meal at a time. I did it to help manage weight and to avoid the hassle of counting carbs and the bolus errors that inevitably follow.

Good luck!