Freestyle libre sensor, causing shoulder impingement?

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
I have been using this for a year now and since have ended up with a severe shoulder impingement on both arms. Not sure if it can be related as have been assured by Abbots that it only goes into the skin and not to any nerve tissue, however am concerned. Could it be that there's a voltage current perhaps that could cause long term damage??

My symtoms are that I am unable to raise either arms nor scratch my back without excruciating pain.

Has anyone else using these encountered the same issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cragwood

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@joules . It sounds like you have rotator cuff issues in your shoulders. Doubt that the libre could be the cause.
Perhaps investigate rc causes and symptoms and see if anything is applicable to your problems/ lifestyle.
Rotator cuff injuries are very common in men of a certain age and can be caused by many varied things.
Sorry can’t offer anything specific to the libre.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Im not sure if inpingment is another name for frozen should but we are more likely to have frozen shoulder as diabetics, ive enjoyed in both shoulders, thankfully not at the same time, and did not have the libre at the time.

I hope your not talking about frozen shoulder because if you have both sides at once you have my absolute sympathy for what its worth

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I cannot say it is not the issue but only say that me, my mother and my aunt have used the same programme for over a year and not seen the same complication.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
What insulin are you taking? I had a lot of muscle related problems with lantus
I've been taking lantus for some years actually. That's interesting. What have you found and did you change to something else that works better for you?

Dicko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@joules I've had impingement in both shoulders, it was diagnosed when i was 18 (1988) I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1986.

When impingement was initially diagnosed there wasn't much they could do. I eventually had keyhole surgery in 2011. Impingement is ultimately where there isn't enough room within the shoulder joint for everything, so they need to grind bone and tendon away to make room. Its very doubtful that Libre has caused it, more that, overuse can cause it, from my perspective it was rowing at a young age for many years. The surgery worked well and I have full movement in both shoulders with no pain, I have also been using Libre for 18 months without any issues.

Cheers,

Andy.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nerve 'flow' is in the opposite direction - in theory you could have problems below the site of the Libre, but it's unlikely to be above. It would also be unlikely that the filament could be deep enough to contact a nerve, which are also very very tiny. So I think you can rule out the Libre as a cause.

That said, I hope you are able to find some resolution for your shoulder problems - joint problems can be so soul destroying :/ hugs.

ally.huang

Ok, I am a bit late to this but me! I'm currently suffering from a similar issue. I have had shoulder pain from using the Freestyle Libre 2 (from around December 2020) and I have been seeing a chiropractor, a physiotherapist since February 2021 and now a rolfer (since August 2021) to help.

All three therapists are convinced that the Freestyle Libre hit a nerve going in, and with how I sleep (side sleeper) with it in my arm, triggered now what feels like a frozen shoulder.

I started using the product in December 2020, and like the original poster, was unable to raise my arm (thankfully, only my right) nor am I able to bend my arm towards my back. All this happened within a couple of months of use.

I have seen this across a few message boards now so I don't think this is normal. I have been a diabetic since I was 11 and yes, I have read that frozen shoulders are more common in diabetics. However now as a 38 year old, my HbA1c has been consistently reading between 47-57 mmol/mol for the last 3 years (as far as I can see from my hospital records) and I also used to exercise regularly before this injury.

Not sure if anyone is still here following this thread but I am happy to have found it and not feel like I am going mad!

ellen117

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using this for a year now and since have ended up with a severe shoulder impingement on both arms. Not sure if it can be related as have been assured by Abbots that it only goes into the skin and not to any nerve tissue, however am concerned. Could it be that there's a voltage current perhaps that could cause long term damage??

My symtoms are that I am unable to raise either arms nor scratch my back without excruciating pain.

This is almost 5 years later but I recently stopped using the libre because of significant pain in my left arm and shoulder. I have a very sore pain over the sight and an excruciating pain in my upper arm and shoulder when lifting my left arm or reaching back. It's constant and it's lasted over a month now. I don't know why people say "it can't be" of course it can...it's a needle regardless of the size. Needles that are being applied to the same region. I've been told it sounds like I have phlebitis. Whatever it is it's very painful. I've never had trouble with my shoulders or arms. I've recently switched to Dexcom because of the ability to use in areas other than the upper extremity. Anyone else?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This sounds very much like Frozen Shoulder. I do not see that it is related to the Libre. As others have said, it is more common for people with diabetes but not limited to them.
My partner experienced this last year. He does not have diabetes (nor does he use Libre). After a number of physio appointments and exercises, his shoulder mobility has slowly improved. However he is still unable to use pockets sewn into side seams of his hoodie or raise his arms high enough to put wiping up away in the top cupboard in our kitchen.
He was told it is common not to be able to identify what caused it.
I recommend visiting a physio and get it sorted.

Reactions: CatsFive

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is almost 5 years later but I recently stopped using the libre because of significant pain in my left arm and shoulder. I have a very sore pain over the sight and an excruciating pain in my upper arm and shoulder when lifting my left arm or reaching back. It's constant and it's lasted over a month now. I don't know why people say "it can't be" of course it can...it's a needle regardless of the size. Needles that are being applied to the same region. I've been told it sounds like I have phlebitis. Whatever it is it's very painful. I've never had trouble with my shoulders or arms. I've recently switched to Dexcom because of the ability to use in areas other than the upper extremity. Anyone else?

The sensor just - only just - penetrates the skin. It would be extraordinary for that to cause problems in the muscles forming the rotor cuff, which what your symptoms sound like. I agree with the see a physio advice, and that it sounds like a 'frozen shoulder' If it is impingement that's a problem below the acromion so deep within the shoulder.

Reactions: In Response

richieworld

Hmmmmm. I’ve been struggling with the same thing since changing my sensor a week ago. Never thought about it being the sensor.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
and here’s me considering one! Already have head n neck pain which I think is caused by meds.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Impingement I understand is when there is insufficient spaces between the bones for tendons etc. I had one and had surgery shaving the bone to deal with it. So I’d say it’s highly unlikely to be that caused by the sensors. It might be that for some other reason. Or possibly frozen shoulders which are more common in diabetes regardless of how you monitor.

Have you had the shoulder issue diagnosed. Why do you think it’s the sensors?

rozzer73

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hiya, I am not diabetic but have recently done the Zoe plan, part of which was to wear a libre blood sugar monitor. During that time I did feel some discomfort from the monitor (I have skinny arms) and now I have frozen shoulder. I was wondering if the monitor could have caused the shoulder condition to happen as it developed at around the same time, so I was interested to find this thread.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I have a frozen shoulder and went and had an ultrasound scan which highlighted the issue.
I have since had an injection and physio.
In no way is it related to the libre and such is my ongoing delight with the libre i would rather have a libre with shoulder pain than no libre!!

Have you noticed i love my libre?
Old hack here who started on clinitest tablets 50 years ago...its all we had!

Good luck everyone

Tony

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
This is so interesting. Both my shoulders have been weird since libre. I never thought of the connection but now wonder. I don’t wear it any more because it was so incredibly inaccurate.
I lift weights, always have, and never an issue with shoulders.
so….what is that little needle made of?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've had 2 frozen shoulders and both happened before I used the libre.... am very skeptical as to there being a connection, just because frozen shoulder is a relatively common condition, specially among diabetics.

Post hoc fallacy ???

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and HSSS

Moshie16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have significant pain in my shoulder on the arm I use my sensor on I can’t rotate to the other arm as i dont have the ability to apply to the opposite site following amputation at elbow level so no hand

The pain is so bad after 18 months of using libre I can barely lift my arm anymore it’s exactly like frozen shoulder pain (had that before)

My consultant is now considering a change to dexcom as i can use that on alternate sites on the left side of my body

A physio and multiple X-rays showed no joint damage but said the needle that is in the applicator is very long despite the small flilment so could have caused nerve pain from using the same ish site for so long