What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aww bless you, it’s so hard missing people on special occasions isn’t it? This time of year also adds to the pain, I lost my mum on Christmas Eve 15 years ago, she was only 57, it does make you realise how precious life is though.
In both our cases too young and, there's never a good time but, Christmas Eve & just before a birthday it kind of cements it in the memory.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gee I'm way behind. Been popping in and out but forgetting about food.
Wednesday - Bed 6.2 FBG 6.7 - it got worse over the last few days although daytime is stable.
B. A bit of Mattesons chicken sausage and 2 scrambled eggs. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Air fried drumstick and air fried chicken thigh with cheese and onion dip. Didn't really feel like anything else although I did have a small low carb "Baileys".
Thursday - Bed 5 FBG 6.4 so OK

B slice Tesco High Protein bread toasted with pate pate. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing - was on was back from Aqua Zumba.
D. Again not really looking for anything much so took a portion of my spinach and broccoli soup out of the freezer. Must make more of that as I only have one portion left and it is so tasty.
Few raspberries and cream

Thursday evening - Got a weird late night surge to 8.3 but it dropped back again to 6.4 going to bed. No particular reason for it. FBG 6.7 on Friday.

B. Physio today So a quick Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream, slice of Tesco high protein bread with pate pate.
L. Too busy sorting out lunch for the boys. Had a quick coffee while entertaining them.
D. Things went drastically wrong here. Stir fried beansprouts - no problem but Hubby got me a chilli chicken with peppers and onion which I've always been fine with but they must have changed the recipe - BGs shot up to 14.2! But plummeted just as quickly. Could not keep my eyes open so gallons of water was consumed. Was down to a more realistic 6.4 going to bed and an FBG of 6.7 this morning although still getting some variation this morning but nothing too severe. I guess what had been a "safe" chicken dish is now off the list.
Boys are staying tonight so I need to get a cake so they can have birthday cake for my birthday. According to them a birthday is not a birthday unless there is cake. They are well aware I can't eat it but there still had to be cake. I can't be bothered making one as I realised today is the day my cards would have appeared from my brother and sister and of course they're not there. We're going out tomorrow but tonight the boys will eat cake!
Ive had the same problem with a takeaway recently - Saag paneer that I’ve had loads of times with no ill effect, tasted quite sweet the last time, and sent bgs skyrocketing. Whether it was a new chef, new recipe or an accident I dont know but not prepared to chance it again.
I’m glad the boys had their cake in your honour and I hope tomorrow has some happy moments as well as the inevitable sadness at the 2 missing people. You have such amazing strength, I know you’ll manage but my happy birthday thoughts as well as my compassion are with you.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive had the same problem with a takeaway recently - Saag paneer that I’ve had loads of times with no ill effect, tasted quite sweet the last time, and sent bgs skyrocketing. Whether it was a new chef, new recipe or an accident I dont know but not prepared to chance it again.
I’m glad the boys had their cake in your honour and I hope tomorrow has some happy moments as well as the inevitable sadness at the 2 missing people. You have such amazing strength, I know you’ll manage but my happy birthday thoughts as well as my compassion are with you.
Has to be the recipe changed. Shame as it was the one safe item. Still I can easily reproduce a safe version at home but perhaps with slightly less chilli!
I agree saag paneer shouldn't cause problems either. Methinks the carry outs are on need of a low carb outlet - now wouldn't that be good?
Boys enjoyed their cake. The wee one wanted 65 candles but settled for 6 individual candles and a Number 5 when I pointed out 65 candles could burn the house down. He was tickled with the musical candle that played Happy Birthday though. Oddly not being able to eat cake didn t bother me at all. Guess my tastes have changed.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: keto pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner, takeaway night! 1/4 crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smudge of sauce with cucumber, spring onions and crispy seaweed followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Hugs, @maglil55. Losing brother and sister in the same year must have been really hard on you.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Three scrambled eggs with okra and gouda. Some calf-tail soup. A little piece of flat bread with butter.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner (out at the French tapas place): Half a small serving of sweet potato fries, a small serving of mussels in white wine sauce, one and half glasses of red wine.

Later at home: Half a small bowl of mushroom-zucchini-cream soup, half a flatbread with butter and gouda. Four squares of 85% chocolate.

Last edited:

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not what I have eaten but it's the something I plan to make. Just seen an episode of Secret Eats with Adam Richman. He had a pizza style steak at one place. Grilled steak acting as the base of a pizza with tomatoes, herbs, whatever you fancy and cheese on top. It looked fantastic, has anyone tried it?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not what I have eaten but it's the something I plan to make. Just seen an episode of Secret Eats with Adam Richman. He had a pizza style steak at one place. Grilled steak acting as the base of a pizza with tomatoes, herbs, whatever you fancy and cheese on top. It looked fantastic, has anyone tried it?

No but I make ‘meatza’ sometimes - same principle but using a good quality burger - roll it out thin and use as a pizza base. Everyone in my household loves it, you dont need to cook the burger first.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No but I make ‘meatza’ sometimes - same principle but using a good quality burger - roll it out thin and use as a pizza base. Everyone in my household loves it, you dont need to cook the burger first.
That sounds great :) It would be good on those weird minute steaks we used to eat in the 70s/80s too ! :)

Reactions: DJC3

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - my usual protein peanut and chocolate bar with a cuppa
Lunch - roast pork, celeriac roasties, cabbage, green beans, broccoli, a Yorkshire pudding and some gravy
Won’t eat again today as heading cinema now and will be too late once home

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering @Brunneria, do the Oomi noodles taste (and/or smell) of fish? :bored:

If you ate them by themselves, then yes, there is a fishiness about them.
But if you add a flavoursome sauces (garlic butter, bolognese, stir fry, or similar) then the sauce completely dominates.

Of course the perfect solution is to do what I have done a couple of times this week - serve them with fish. I have used prawns, tuna and salmon, with garlic, cheese and cream. Not all at once ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. A bit behind.

@maglil55 sending hugs - take care, you’ve had quite a year.

@DJC3 that lemon sole and aioli sounds amazing.

Two OMAD days this weekend (although I did have a little snackette before dinner yesterday. Snackette was a single serve portion of Pip&Nut almond butter (sold in Holland & Barrett) mixed with extra thick double cream. Dinner was beef short rib with a dessert of 5 Hotel Chocolat 80% supermilk hazelnuts (they lied, they were in stock at my local) and 1 Hotel Chocolat 80% praline chocolate. Latter was too sweet - rest of pack to work! The hazelnuts were good. Can see why the reviews complain about bitterness but tasty for those keen on very high cocoa chocolate.

Today’s dinner was roast beef followed by a new dish from a recipe posted on another thread - cheesy Keto skillet bread. https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-cheesy-skillet-bread/ (Pics attached). Looks like cake and also looked a bit heavy but tasted great with a decent amount of butter slathered all over it. Very, very filling. Will need to see if it freezes as I’ll never get through it. Dessert was a Hotel Chocolat mini hazelnut buche with extra thick double cream.. Very good not too sweet and just the right size.

Attachments

• 810E4C7E-2986-4A0E-870A-86404F098578.jpeg
    810E4C7E-2986-4A0E-870A-86404F098578.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 336
  • C83CC21A-97A2-4B6E-ADE4-D0AA631BEB8D.jpeg
    C83CC21A-97A2-4B6E-ADE4-D0AA631BEB8D.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 314

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. A bit behind.

Two OMAD days this weekend (although I did have a little snackette before dinner yesterday. Snackette was a single serve portion of Pip&Nut almond butter (sold in Holland & Barrett) mixed with extra thick double cream. Dinner was beef short rib with a dessert of 5 Hotel Chocolat 80% supermilk hazelnuts (they lied, they were in stock at my local) and 1 Hotel Chocolat 80% praline chocolate. Latter was too sweet - rest of pack to work! The hazelnuts were good. Can see why the reviews complain about bitterness but tasty for those keen on very high cocoa chocolate.

Today’s dinner was roast beef followed by a new dish from a recipe posted on another thread - cheesy Keto skillet bread. https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-cheesy-skillet-bread/ (Pics attached). Looks like cake and also looked a bit heavy but tasted great with a decent amount of butter slathered all over it. Very, very filling. Will need to see if it freezes as I’ll never get through it. Dessert was a Hotel Chocolat mini hazelnut buche with extra thick double cream.. Very good not too sweet and just the right size.

Good news about the hazelnuts. I think they opened a new branch in Truro this weekend which is good news for me, only about 20mins away so I’ll make a trip this coming week.

Your cheesy skillet bread looks just like the blog - Ive seen it and thought it might be good. I’ll definitely put it on my list of things to try. Thanks foe the recommendation.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news about the hazelnuts. I think they opened a new branch in Truro this weekend which is good news for me, only about 20mins away so I’ll make a trip this coming week.

Your cheesy skillet bread looks just like the blog - Ive seen it and thought it might be good. I’ll definitely put it on my list of things to try. Thanks foe the recommendation.

It is good. Couple of pieces in the fridge for this week - thinking it will go well with some bacon. Rest in freezer - hopefully will freeze ok. Good news about the new HC.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. A bit behind.

The skillet bread looks good x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, good day at the fair even though it was a bit chilly, tired now.
Coffee with cream, fried egg, bacon and mushrooms for breakfast
Chorizo sausage with salad while I was at the fair, the smell of them cooking was a temptation that I couldn’t resist.
D gammon and celeriac fries glass of red wine