low carb high fat mayo question please

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a problem with the mayo because the keto mayo is made with avacado and I cannot eat avacado or banana as they have natural latex in them and I get very ill if i eat them ,

Any suggestions where I can buy mayo or what brands can i use , is Aldi full fat mayo okay or is it going to be full of rubbish ?
Also how about full fat milk can I use this in my coffee during the day ?
thank you x

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Hellman's full fat. Check the ingredients.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most of the online reviews say the Aldi mayonnaise is better than Hellman's, a matter of personal taste I guess.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use both Aldi and Hellmans depending on where I shop that week. The Heinz version appears to have double the Carb value compared to these. I watched a 'How it's made' type program a few weeks ago and the European preference is for a sweeter mayo so I tend to double check now and not just assume it's low in Carb, although relatively they are all reasonable on the Carb front.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Reactions: catinahat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree as above Hellmans

I third that.

My hubby recently bought a Sainsburys real mayo in error. (The jars are similar.) I didn't notice it was Sainsburys until I took my first taste and thought how sweet it tasted, and wondered if they had changed the ingredients. It was replaced quickly with a Hellmans.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends if you like "rapeseed oil" which is an interesting term...and which Hellmans is 78% composed of...

"How it’s made
Rapeseed oil is made by both small and large-scale producers and comes in two forms: artisan cold-pressed and refined. Cold-pressing simply involves using a press to squeeze the oil out of the seeds, retaining all its natural flavour, before being simply filtered and bottled. Refined oil on the other hand, is extracted from the seeds under high temperatures, before being cleaned to create a flavourless oil"

I wonder if Hellmans use the artisan cold pressed .... hmmm probably not or the refined.. more likely which is also known as canola oil in the USA

" Canola oil, or canola for short, is a vegetable oil derived from a variety of rapeseed"

"Canola oil is made at a processing facility by slightly heating and then crushing the seed.[22] Almost all commercial canola oil is then extracted using hexane solvent which is recovered at the end of processing. Finally, the canola oil is refined using water precipitation and organic acid to remove gums and free fatty acids, filtering to remove colour, and deodorising using steam distillation."

You pays yer money....

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends if you like "rapeseed oil" which is an interesting term...and which Hellmans is 78% composed of...

"How it’s made
Rapeseed oil is made by both small and large-scale producers and comes in two forms: artisan cold-pressed and refined. Cold-pressing simply involves using a press to squeeze the oil out of the seeds, retaining all its natural flavour, before being simply filtered and bottled. Refined oil on the other hand, is extracted from the seeds under high temperatures, before being cleaned to create a flavourless oil"

I wonder if Hellmans use the artisan cold pressed .... hmmm probably not or the refined.. more likely which is also known as canola oil in the USA

" Canola oil, or canola for short, is a vegetable oil derived from a variety of rapeseed"

"Canola oil is made at a processing facility by slightly heating and then crushing the seed.[22] Almost all commercial canola oil is then extracted using hexane solvent which is recovered at the end of processing. Finally, the canola oil is refined using water precipitation and organic acid to remove gums and free fatty acids, filtering to remove colour, and deodorising using steam distillation."

You pays yer money....

Admit you score a point here...
You are probably right, that they do not use cold-pressed oil...and then not so healthy at all...:(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Rapeseed oil gets bad press in some quarters, but it is full of Omega 3, more than in Olive Oil.. It is the best of an otherwise bad bunch of vegetable/seed oils.
The American version (Canola) is Genetically Modified. Not so with rapeseed grown in the UK.

Reactions: mike@work

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rapeseed oil gets bad press in some quarters, but it is full of Omega 3, more than in Olive Oil.. It is the best of an otherwise bad bunch of vegetable/seed oils.
The American version (Canola) is Genetically Modified. Not so with rapeseed grown in the UK.

THX ! - that saved my night sleep :)...

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like I said you pays yer money...
I wouldn't consume it !

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if Hellmans use the artisan cold pressed .... hmmm probably not or the refined.
Allow me to clear that up for you @bulkbiker you use Rapeseed oil because it's flavourless so it will be the refined oil. True story I miss read it and thought it said Grapeseed oil so I used that and realy made no diffrence in flavour I think it's a Chef thing. :D

@Charis1213 making your own Mayo is easy its only egg yokes, oil and mustard (add carnation condensed milk and you have salad cream.) with a squeeze of lemon at the end to stop it splitting.:bookworm:

You will want a good quality bottle of Rapeseed oil which will set you back at least £6 this has about enough oil in it to make to 2 tubs of home-made mayo. If you like making your own food it's easy once you know how.

But its much easier to buy a jar of Helmens only 1.3g of sugar per 100ml.

Full fat milk should be ok with coffee or even full fat cream loads of people swear by it on hear. ;)
:bag:

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One should not nearly always trust Mr Google, but I think this is not too far from the truth, as Hellmanns are trying to keep their products "natural"...

Hellmann's Organic Mayonnaise is made with only the finest organic ingredients, like organic cage-free eggs & organic expeller-pressed oil, and contains no artificial flavors or preservatives

Edited to add: If someone wonders...expeller-pressed oil - Basically, it means that it gets literally squeezed out of the item in one single step through the use of an intense force.

Last edited:

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another alternative is walnut oil, which is about half the price of avocado oil. As a matter of fact, I made my first batch of keto mayo last night, using walnut oil, and the result tastes just as good as shop-bought stuff. Here's the method I followed: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Healthy-Home-made-Mayo-Three-Ways

I also wonder if one of you could help me understand this issue of vegetable oils. I have read that rapeseed oil should be avoided on keto, but my limited understanding is that it's because of the way it's processed. If I use cold-pressed extra virgin rapeseed oil, is that any better? Like the way extra virgin olive and coconut oils are better than their heat-extracted counterparts? Is it the extraction method or the source of the oil that's the problem?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

"How it’s made

You pays yer money....
Oh - yuk. Quite puts me off hellmans. So back to spraying extra virgin olive oil over my salad.

Reactions: mike@work