Type 1.5 Very Dry Skin

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with type 2 for 4 years and been on insulin for 2 years. I am 70 years old and always had greasy or combination skin. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the skin on my entire body had suddenly become exceedingly dry. When I take my socks off there is a thick layer of bits of skin, and when I came to bed tonight my husband noticed there were lots of loose patches of skin on my body and chest. I have been using moisturiser which is not really helping but wonder if this is anything to worry about. Do I need to see a doctor?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey there, @gillytee31

It could be a whole bunch of things, including showering more frequently because of the heat or even the moisturiser you use (crazy as that sounds). Could even be that you're slightly dehydrated (again, in this heat...). Try switching to a really basic aqueous cream (which can also be used as a soap in the shower and an emollient in the bath) which comes in HUGE tubs and costs very little:

https://www.boots.com/boots-pharmaceuticals-aqueous-cream-b-p-500ml-10115225

If that doesn't work there's no harm at all in going to see the doctor. But you don't mention any other symptoms like redness, itching or a rash, so it's probably just a combination of things collaborating to worry you.

Let us know how you get along, and good luck.

Sock xx

Reactions: DavidK59

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I would get it checked as you do nto wnat any breaks in the skin I am given cream for my skin which have had for years as have a thyroid complaint which can affect the skin ie dry it in places , hope you get it sorted hugzzz

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if it is actually a good sign - that your skin is renewing itself faster than usual and so you are getting rid of old layers to reveal a fresh surface.
As long as your skin is not getting red or sore, or cracked - any of the usual danger signs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gillytee31 - If your dry skin is botherring you it could be worthwhile mentioning it to the Doc and maybe just having a few bloods run. Things like the thyroiod being a bit off kilter can cause dry skin.

Please don't think I am suggesting your thyroid, or anything else, is amiss, but just mentioing it as an aside.

On an aside, looking at your thread title, you have the prefix "Type 1.5", but your opening post confirms you're T2. Would you like the title tweaked to show T2, just for completeness?

Tooth_Fairy

There are too many reasons of why skin is irritating. You should go see a doctor anyways.. At least for now I can recommend you a nice 100% pure recipee for skin soothing lotion containing emulsifying wax. Here's an example . Hope you get well soon.