A few asking for low carb food lists....

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Which bread is best to eat for type1?
I found Ciabatta bread delicious and it has no added sugar. Of course it is full of carbs. but at least the sugar is absent.
Then there are whole wheat brown breads, but check the labels to see if they are really what they claim. Many types are just ordinary bread with colouring.

Reactions: Lincka01

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found Ciabatta bread delicious and it has no added sugar. Of course it is full of carbs. but at least the sugar is absent.
Then there are whole wheat brown breads, but check the labels to see if they are really what they claim. Many types are just ordinary bread with colouring.
Bread is full of carbs but I don't think savory bread has added sugar apart from about a teaspoon full per loaf that is consumed by the yeast.

Bobbles 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I just wanted to say I've see people mention the Carbs and Cal's book and wondered if people knew they have an app for your phone or tablet.
You can also keep track of what you've eaten and it calculates how many carbs etc... You've eaten.
Just thought it might help people, I know it's helping me.....I was diagnosed with type 2 a month ago.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going on the Low carb diet so i decided to buy some Broccoli and Sprouts to put with my Minced Beef.I. now read Sprouts are high in carbs!!!

Reactions: Redarrows

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going on the Low carb diet so i decided to buy some Broccoli and Sprouts to put with my Minced Beef.I. now read Sprouts are high in carbs!!!

Not massively - where are you getting that information from?
Brussels sprouts generally contain 4g~ carbohydrate per 100g as sold.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll take a wild assumption you mean the ones from Asda - that value is boiled per 100g as opposed to as sold per 100g hence the slight difference as they take on weight from the water they're boiled in.

I prefer as sold values as they will take on a different amount of weight when boiled depending on various factors.

Regardless, if you have a pack with that value written on it why do you believe that they are not low carb? Are you aiming for extremely low to zero carb?

Reactions: sloppymare

daisy22

Ok so I'm off to visit relatives in UK tomorrow.

I've made a shopping list of things I can't buy here (france). Any other suggestions for low carb foods much appreciated:

Coconut flour/oil
4 seed mix
Multi seed mix

Thanks

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Cornflour/starch? no no. Try gums like guar (better for sauces) or xanthan (better for baking)
Oatmeal has a lot of carbs by weight.

For a "list" (actually a database) of 1000+ core foods (basic foods, not so much "products", but does have common condiments and such) combined with carb-counting (as well as other macro counting) check out the free demo at gly-control.com and see if it works for you.
It is more for cooking at home but helps with shopping as well, I find. I found out that hemp flour has the most protein and lowest carbs, and lowest GI of all the nut/seed flours. It has meal planners for each meal and a recipe designer -- I have been using this to design/plan glycemic-friendly snacks and meals with great results. You'll find it has low-carb/low-GI foods/ingredients you never heard of. Has all the common meats, and lots of game meat as well -- from alligator and alpaca to kangaroo, moose and snake. It does, however, require a full version of Excel, so it can work on desktops and notebooks... not iPhones.

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Which bread is best to eat for type1?

Depends on what type of insulin you are using. IF you are using humalog then you might be able to get away with certain whole grain breads, though limited quantity. Ezekiel bread is quite low glycemic, but check the carbs. Might be too slow for humalog. You'll have to figure that one out. Pretty sure you should avoid white breads.

Ciabatta -- NO! "No sugar" doesnt make a smidgen of difference if you are counting carbs, and in a non-sweet bread so little is used, it's not really the issue -- the white flour is the issue. Sugar is actually lower GI (glycemic index) than white flour (GI of 65 for table sugar, white flour is about 72-75). Although sugar is 100% carb, wheat flour is roughly 75% carb. So a teaspoon or two of sugar compared several cups of wheat flour in a bread recipe... yeah, a drop in the bucket.

Whole wheat doesnt make much of a diff either, as the fiber is non-soluble and so doesnt lower the glycemic index very much, still coming in at about 67. Most your white breads have a GI the same as the flour, 72-75. A croissant has GI of 67 (due to butter slowing things down a bit).

High quality fermented sourdough (the more sour the better) has a lower GI than other white breads, at 60, due to the bacteria action -- but is still loaded with carbs.

Chapati has a GI of about 62
100% rye bread, pumpernickel, has a GI of about 55.
100% teff bread "Injera" comes in at about 45.
Ezekiel comes in at 36

If you are using regular insulin, then you might find paleo breads more appropriate -- breads made with almond flour, coconut flour, etc. A regular insulin user might be able to get away with Ezekiel bread, if generously loaded up on the meat (to buffer), and count those carbs.

Example of paleo bread:
https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-sandwich-bread/

KTNIC

This has cheered me up no end! Can't get my round mayonnaise & heavy cream! I have found advice on what to & not to eat very confusing & somewhat contradictory. Just have to try and get my other half off potatoes as he does all the cooking!
How can I safe this list on iPad?

Getaldine6310

I'm a relatively newly diagnosed T2. And I'm utterly confused as to what I can and cannot eat, the more I read the more confused I become. On top of the confusing info out there, there are no afro-Caribbean based recipes! Does anyone have any recipes that are Caribbean based.

I used to love my fruits and 5 a day...!!

KTNIC

I'm a relatively newly diagnosed T2. And I'm utterly confused as to what I can and cannot eat, the more I read the more confused I become. On top of the confusing info out there, there are no afro-Caribbean based recipes! Does anyone have any recipes that are Caribbean based.

I used to love my fruits and 5 a day...!!

Has anyone used the Carbs & Cal app & books?

Seems my light-headedness etc could be down to no eating enough! Have cut out all the sugary stuff now for the next step.

Do you think I need to get a blood sugar monitor???

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone used the Carbs & Cal app & books?

Seems my light-headedness etc could be down to no eating enough! Have cut out all the sugary stuff now for the next step.

Do you think I need to get a blood sugar monitor???
I've got the book and app and have found them quite handy, particularly for judging quantities. I don't use them often now as I've gained a pretty good idea about carb contents. The app is particularly good - very handy when away on holiday or eating out.
A glucose meter would be a wise investment as it would let you know how different foods influence you blood glucose.