letting off steam

pebbles22

Need to let of a bit of steam. Was chatting with another mum at the school, she asked how my son was with regards to his type 1 diabetes, told her he was doing really well, and said that another girl at the school had just been diagnosed. She replied that it would get more common what with all the obesity and bad diets. didnt have the energy to educate her a bit, but feel angry now that I didnt. Cant go back now.

Vikki2

That youtube clip really made me laugh thanks!! But so true !!!

Aah, anyway, yes I really feel for you. The comments people make are SO infuriating and upsetting. It's shocking that with this condition some people automatically blame you the parent. If you told someone your child had asthma they wouldn't automatically think, Oh it must be the parents fault. When I tell someone for the first time I really emphasise the word type 1. I may even ask them if they know the difference between type 1 and type 2. Or depending on the mood I'm in I just tell them that my daughter has 'pancreatic malfunction' - it's great - you actually get genuine sympathy!

I know how it makes you feel when someone says something like that but try and keep calm and try & educate them!

XX

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
awww, don't feel angry with yourself about not educating the other person. It's difficult to get a response out when you're taken off guard. There will be other times that you'll hear comments like this and with practice you'll get more confident about kindly explaining that the person is misinformed about why your daughter has T1.