Camping food

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dear God.....:eek: Were they ever ???

Signy

My daughter swears they did. She read it in the ingredients years ago before they became the vague '150% pork' they are now.

It wasn't the outer case @Ian DP although I can see why you thought it might be!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Haven't been camping since diagnosed, so really made me think, some random suggestions - not full meal ideas!

sugar free peanut butter
flaxseed mixes (from H&B, add hot water and get instant breakfast 'cereal')
Sugar free jelly in ready made pots

Olives and jar of peppers (or fresh as they keep a while even in sun) to eat antipasti style with your peparami

do you have a power socket in your car for a plug in coolbox?

I am so glad I posted this question. Yet more brilliant ideas! Unfortunately my car socket is broken so coolbox option not possible. But if I do eventually upgrade to a campervan I won't need either.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Warning!
Don't dangle food items in Welsh streams.
All welsh watercourses are at least 10% sheep widdle*.

On the list of camping foods that don't need refrigeration:
Baby bels
Snack portion cheeses
Jerky
Wee cartons of UHT milk or cream
Blueberries will keep a day or two

* I can say this because I lived in Wales for over 20 years and camped in Wales for every one of those years. I am very familiar with sheep widdle, sheepnuts and sheep blundering into guy ropes in the darkest hours of a moonless night.

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Memories of a great campsite at St. David's on a cliff top with way down to the beach.

Hey, you might need a few extra carbs to match all that outdoor fresh air living! Especially if you climb into the mountains.

Have a lovely lovely time, the weather has been summery and fantastic.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We used to take a bucket and fill with cold water to put cartons of milk etc in to keep cool
Hope the weather is good for you!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small sites can have fridge/freezers these days. Give them a ring. I freeze milk and small bottles of water, you can take frozen food as well. Keep the coolbox in the shade and place a wet tea towel over it. I am camping at the end of the month, can't wait.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Memories of a great campsite at St. David's on a cliff top with way down to the beach.

Hey, you might need a few extra carbs to match all that outdoor fresh air living! Especially if you climb into the mountains.

Have a lovely lovely time, the weather has been summery and fantastic.
Ooh! I know that one!

Possibly my favourite EVER campsite.
Sublime views.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a fab time, hopefully going camping again for the New Year. We had a BBQ last time.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh! I know that one!

Possibly my favourite EVER campsite.
Sublime views.[/QUOTE

Stunning campsite with green credentials which meant dingy light, sparrows and luke-warm showers in the wash block, but I still loved it. I can hear our little blue tent yelling at me from the loft.

It's a 4-man tent, not that little, but 4-man means 2-man really. (Though my son has used it with 5 mates :eek:) . You can stand up in it, and you can look through a window in its roof at the stars! Plus, I don't even mind if it rains - a bit. It sounds loud and dramatic and you're snug and smug.:D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to go camping again SOON.
Rain on canvas.
Gulls shrieking.
Crows stalking for crumbs.
The smell of the wind and other people's bacon...

Mr B has very few failings, but one of them is that he doesn't appreciate sleeping in tents.
Weird, eh?

Reactions: 6 people

Anniesart

Hi all! In a manic fit I have bought a little tent and plan to go camping next week. I won't have a fridge or coolbox so meat, cheese, cream, yoghurt, berries, salad etc. are out as they are not going to keep in this warm weather. Eggs and nuts will still be OK and anything I might be able to buy and eat straight away - if I can get to a shop before it closes at 5pm. But are there ideas that I'm missing here? What can I have LCHF that

doesn't need to be kept cool
can be cooked in a single pot over a Triangia
isn't just wilted vegetables and some nuts or eggs

?

Plus what can i take into the mountains to eat?

At this rate I'm going to have to live on omelettes (hot and cold).
We do a lot of camping and if you take a cold bag and some ice packs most camp sites will have a freezer that you can freeze the ice packs in when they thaw so take enough that you can swap them each day. If you write your name on them in felt tip pen you won't lose them.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
We do a lot of camping and if you take a cold bag and some ice packs most camp sites will have a freezer that you can freeze the ice packs in when they thaw so take enough that you can swap them each day. If you write your name on them in felt tip pen you won't lose them.

I'm back. Bit of a disaster though. I did buy the packs etc. but the campsite didn't do the freezing thing. And I got bored of the food I had so lived off peanut butter and some dark chocolate - not very healthy. I hadn't taken butter, just olive oil, so my mushroom scrambled eggs tasted slightly, and unpleasantly, Mediterranean and unfortunately the Peperami pulled out a filling! I should have planned better.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. I think I'm actually just too much of a lazy cook, especially since I only have to feed me. It's much harder to bother when you are on your own!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need to go camping again SOON.
Rain on canvas.
Gulls shrieking.
Crows stalking for crumbs.
The smell of the wind and other people's bacon...

Mr B has very few failings, but one of them is that he doesn't appreciate sleeping in tents.
Weird, eh?
Are you sure it isn't the smell of the bacon and other people's wind he doesn't like?

Reactions: 4 people

carolcamper

My feet freeze when I go camping these days :(

Although I do love love camping, try and heat water up into hot water bottles, that and I tend to cook unprocessed meat straight on my trusty camping grill from https://tubegrill.co.uk. Great little gadget.