Exhausted

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone adjust their back ground dose regularly? My tresiba dose is 20 but pushing me into 3 lows overnight 8 hour period. I am exhausted. If I adjust to 19 don't feel well as in chest tightness and end up waiting for next fast acting injection for much needed insulin.

Saw endo yesterday who said to stick with current dose unfortunately it was a very quick appointment. I got to ask him about half doses of Tresiba but apparently there is no proof these work. However I am taking half doses of novorapid.

Referred for a number of blood tests.

As advised by endo injected in abdomen pinched up, even double checked online for technique then left with feeling insulin travelling through my body felt unwell for quite sometime. Constant tingling in face, arms, hands and weakness. I'm going back to painful left leg injection today.

I am trying to move tresiba injection to lunchtime currently at 2.30pm.

Endo wants me to try vitamin D and iron tablets.

Back to see him in 6 months.

Thanks

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 1/2 unit pen for tresiba - it was given to me when they changed me over from lantus.

Glad they've referred you for blood tests. Are they including B12 in those?

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tracie1212,
to answer your question quickly: yes, I do adjust my Tresiba dose regularly, otherwise I have lows like crazy… Of course I let my endo know; however that kind of decision is up to me (have been T1 for 30 years and my endo trusts me).
As for half doses: could you perhaps try and inject one unit less on alternate days? E.g.: if you normally inject 8 doses, you could choose to inject 8 on Monday and 7 on Tuesday, then 8 again on Wednesday and so on. I hear it is often done to substitute for half doses.
As for injection site, my endo advised me to use the upper part of the body for Tresiba (however I always choose the upper body for any kind of insulin: found it works better on me). But no special reason given.
I hope you will be feeling better soon, let us know!
A hug!

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you so much for your replies.

Yes they are looking at B12, vitamin d, bone profile and gluten tolerance

I think I will try adjusting daily by one unit to 19 then next day try 20. I am currently eating through night hypo preventing as dropping between 6 and 9 levels but levels are OK during day.

I am injecting at 2pm want to get it to midday but to be honest don't feel its going to make a huge amount of difference unless I alternate the dose. Strange as it may sound I always feel better on transition days.

Tonight I find I'm struggling with lows after
Taking new meds for acid reflux. It's helped with reflux but hard trying to keep levels up..

Its going to be another very long night.

Take care.