Do Diabetics bruise more easily?

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
I went for my 3-monthly check-up with the Nurse yesterday, not looking forward to it as the last time she took blood I was sitting in a local cafe about 10 minutes later and noticed blood running down my arm!
My mother (a retired nurse) reckons it's because the nurse didn't strap down the bit of cotton wool tightly enough - but I can't help wondering if it was connected with the fact that for the first time ever I had blood taken from my right arm and I'm right-handed - or is this just coincidence?

Also, is it "normal" to bruise afterwards?
I took off the plaster/cotton wool just before going to bed and noticed purple bruising around the needle site - inside the elbow - about one inch by two - and realised that this has always happened since diagnosis, but I don't remember it happening before - even when I spent 3 weeks in hopsital and had blood taken every day, the sites never bruised. Is this down to the skill of the blood-taker, or is bruising easily yet another complication of Diabetes? Like taking longer to heal from cuts etc?

Or is it all just my imagination? Or can I blame the menopause? It seems to get blamed for anything and everything! ;)

imalittlefishy

Hmm...I too bruise like a peach and from every blood test! But I've been diabetic since I was 11 so I don't really remember if I did beforehand...interesting thought though! xx

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi dorcas, I used to be needle phobic but I've had so many blood tests and injections of one sort or another over the last 4 or 5 years that I now offer to do my own blood tests :lol:

Sometimes I bruise but mostly I dont, I'm not sure what causes it but I have had a few that ache as the blood is taken and they are always the ones that bruise, as for right or left I've had em both, sometimes together when having blood taken from a vein and an artery at the same time and it seems to make no difference to whether it bruises or not.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Dorcas,
I sometimes bruise, the last test i had the man taking the blood told me id have a bruise (dont know how he could tell, but here is the result,
002-4.jpg

Sue

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
Looks line mine, Sue - thanks!
Needle site at one edge, bruise spreads away from it... doesn't actually hurt, just intrigues me!

Wonder how he knew??

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I bruise easily and bleed a lot too and I think it is since I have been taking a daily aspirin.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all. I never used to bruise at all, n now I do... purpley black on injection sites despite changing my needles to 5mm n new needle each n every time! I find arnica cream aids healing n disppearance of the bruised area faster. Now massage n rub site area well to disperse drug better n find still bruise but not as severely. Anna.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I always apply firm pressure to the area with a piece of cotton wool and wait 2-3 minutes, this normally works and stops any leakage of blood which causes the bruise.

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most of the phlebotomists at my local lab are brilliant, it doesn't hurt and they hardly leave a mark but there is one lady who has twice left me with a bruise... I just cross my fingers I don't get her.
I think it does depend on how 'good' your veins are. I've watched the nurse try to take blood from my mother and the veins keep collapsing so my poor Mum is always left with horrible bruises.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I have deep veins, even an A&E consultant had trouble finding a vein once, so usually I have some blood seepage resulting in a bruise. The last test I had though was a different nurse she tried my right arm first, with little luck, then my left arm (the one that was injured in an accident) and with some difficulty got the blood from there-but no bruising to either arm! I can only conclude it's the nurses skill.

jopar

After being diabetic for over 20 years and verious other reasons for having blood taken, I dread to think how many pints so far have been tested...

If you taken something like a apsrine yes this can make the changes of brusing slightly higher etc... And if pressure isn't put on the cotton wool to stem and aid sealing then yes you bruise more..

But technique of the phlebotomist, nurse or doctor which really determines if and how much you might bruise..

The only time I've it painful is when the nurse or should I say the health care assistant that doing it, missed the vein and stuck the needle into my tendon (you have a tendon that runs through your elbow behind the main vien) and take my word it hurt not only when she did it but for a week or so afterwars...

Strange thing is though when I first started having bloods taken I used to hate it, scared the hell out of me.. But it was the old fashioned method of drawing off a syringe of blood, then squarting it into sample vials for the lab, (left overs squarted down the sink) so it was a relieve that the new system came in, where the clip sample bottle onto the end of the syringe.. What ever it's called..

But a couple of years ago at the main hospital, the phlebotomist tried my right arm, but my vien had gone into hidden, but instead of trying my left arm, she decided to wack me with the old fashioned syringe method, boy did feel fainted after that..

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I rarely bruise - didn't even bruise when I broke my leg - I must have veins like iron, but last time I had a blood test it appeared that while the skin sealed the vein didn't and I got leaked blood under most of my lower arm giving me a 8" x5" bruise.

Cheers
Ailz

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have to have my bloods taken with a syringe as the newer way is too powerful and i was told the needle on those is thicker than a syringe, i am hard to bleed and dont always manage to find my viens in the elbow crook, so usually have it taken from half way down the arm and if that fails ive had blood taken from hands and worst of all my feet :( now that really does hurt , i always try and drink plenty of water before, it does seem to make a difference in getting a good vien .

Sue

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
Many thanks for your replies :) I'm beginning to think it's mainly down to the skill (or lack of it!) of the person taking the blood... so I needn't worry about any serious underlying cause... and it doesn't hurt, just a mild numbness for a few days... but I'll try the tip about arnica cream, thanks for that :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dorcas61 said:
PS - is it ok to drink lots of water before a fasting blood test?

I can't see why not (provided it's water) but others may correct me here.

Nigel

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
Ok, thanks :)

Next time I shall drink lots of water and have a tube of arnica cream ready!

lucyunited89

I got told to drink water even before a fasting blood test because it makes your veins more prominent and therefore easier to get blood from. With regards to the bruising i think i have always bruised easily because i have fair skin but last week i had two hypo related fits and am now covered in bruises. I think diabetes definitely plays a part in easy bruising.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can drink as much as you like as long it IS only water. I was told this by my nurse so hope it is correct.