levemir and lumps

I am a 40 year old LADA - diagnosed a year ago. I have been injecting since September and until recently have been on a novamix30 and novarapid regime. However, as of last week I have been on a novarapid-levemir regime, giving myself 12 units of levemir per nocte. I am getting hard, painful lumps at the injection site that are red and raised. Has anyone else had this? Is it transient?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Stephen,

Check out the links in the thread Catherine provided.

Nigel

Catherine,

Thanks for all your trouble. I found that article really interesting. i'm newer to forums than I am to diabetes and I am really pleased to have discovered people to ask questions. A big thanks to you and Nigel.

Stephen.

calisto51

I had a similar problem with Levimer I got raised areas on the injection sites which were red and very sore, after a few days the soreness went and they became very itchy. I had to stop using it and switched to Lantus which I don't think is as good but did not give me any skin problems

flux

I also had been getting sore, red and itchy lumps when I was doing Levemir injections into my thigh. I don't think this was down to lipohypertrophy, as the lumps would appear within an hour or so of injecting, and would gradually disappear over about 24 hours. I tried injecting the Levemir into different places over a few weeks, and the lumps only ever appeared on my thighs. I put it down to some kind of reaction, perhaps noticeable on my legs because I have barely any fat there.

I think the solution, whatever the cause of the lumps, is just to move your injection sites to another area. That works OK for me (although it does mean two less injection sites for me to rotate through).

Thanks, Calisto51 and Flux. What you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll try finding other sites. I don't have much fat on my abdomen and this might be a contributing factor. I was going to try the buttocks but am not much of a contortionist! Might have another go. Failing that, I'll see about Lantus.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi. funnily enough yesterday I recieved some bumpf in the post from novo nordisk about levemir as I will be using it from 1st june. It actually states that levemir "can" give a reaction at the injection site, n usually disappear after a few weeks of taking it. causes some redness,swelling, and an itchy feeling at injection site.... Lumps however can be caused by injecting too often in same site. If they do not disappear you must return to your doctor or diabetes nurse. I myself wont be able to inject in thighs or arms [top of] or my bum as too little fat there! Will have to be my belly only.... I am bruising severly lately on the victoza despite changing my needles to 5mm however am now rubbing-massaging my site areas after injecting to help disperse the drug evenly under my skin n hopefully that will stop my bruising? n have been told to choose new sites well away from the bruising [am using arnica cream to aid healing] as they do end up quite purpley black n large. The brochure from novo nordisk clearly explains that levemir can have this effect on injection sites n clearly explains it should only be a temporary thing when starting on levemir injections. Anna.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
stephenrowland said:
Thanks, Calisto51 and Flux. What you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll try finding other sites. I don't have much fat on my abdomen and this might be a contributing factor. I was going to try the buttocks but am not much of a contortionist! Might have another go. Failing that, I'll see about Lantus.

Buttocks are fine to use Stephen and I inject my basal insulin there more than any other area, it does take some getting use to but with practise it gets easier.

Nigel

Thanks, Anna and Nigel.

I'll try the buttocks - as if injecting isn't enough of a pain in the backside!

Sorry to hear about the bruising, Anna. I hope that goes soon. The Novo Nordisk bumpff seems right as my lumps are not nearly as red as they were. Things are definitely settling down.

Stephen.