HbA1c of 5.6 T2

DazG

Hi

Just had my recent 6 monthly check and my sugars are 5.6 - T2 for just over a year.

What does this mean? Is this the high end of normal for a non diabetic?

I know I will always be diabetic, but if I keep doing what I am doing am I more likely to stay out of the danger zone when it comes to complications?

Also, do I still need to test so much before and after eating if I am achieving these numbers?

Thanks.

Daz.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Daz,

A remarkable achievement, you should be proud of yourself. :p

Nothing is going to change your diagnosis of diabetes, you are and always will be a diabetic. The difference is that you are a well controlled diabetic. (Unless a cure comes along).

As for complications, you are doing all you can to prevent them and that is all any of us can do.

The testing issue is different for different people. You probably know now what causes high blood sugar numbers for you but you have to allow for variables, illness, stress, exercise and medications you may have to take for other ailments. I was on steroids for 6 weeks which meant I had to keep a close eye on my levels. I test for new foods and occasionally have a day where I do the tests that I did in the early stages. Some people continue testing even though their levels do not alter. Some cannot afford to as they are supplying their own. There is no answer to this one, you may need the reassurance or you may be happy to lessen the amount of times you test.

DazG

Thanks for your reply Catherine. I appreciate it!

Your HbA1c is fantastic.

I am very pleased with my results, I just hope its enough to keep things in check.

I will keep up with the testing then I think, but maybe lessen it a little when I am eating my known safe foods.

Lets hope a cure does come along at some point, then we can all have a great big cream cake and a glass of cherry coke to celebrate :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daz,

Well done on a fantastic result! :D....... this sort of control will hopefully go a long way to prevent future complications.

Nigel

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thats a brilliant result Daz,
keep doing what your doing, well done :D
Sue

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great progress and result, and an excellent answer from Catherine.

May I ask what actions/diet changes you have taken/made over the last couple of years to achieve these results?

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
Hi daz,
well done you should be proud.
Rob... :D

DazG

Thanks Rob.

Welshtony - I walk everyday, about 3.4 miles, plus I do still have carbs but a greatly reduced amount, so I try to eat a normal meal, but have maybe a quarter of the carbs I used to have, and for me this works, but I also test my blood sugar 2 hours later to ensure I am not having too many carbs, just in case.

For snacks, I get a lot of cheese and pickles in, plus small packs of meat, like chicken tikka, or chicken bites, I use seafood as well, like cockles and fish sticks. It isnt always easy to stick to it, and I have had the odd jam donut, but Im pretty good most of the time and this doesnt seem to cause too much harm.

DazG

A delicious, sugary, jammy donut Nigel :lol: Only on the very odd occasion mind, but I have to be honest, it doesnt make my sugar jump very high at all, after 2 hours its never gone over 7.6, which isnt great, but a lot better than you would think eh.

I have to assume its because Im an angel at all times so im let off with the odd donut :wink:

Edit to say: I cant eat pasta at all, the last time I did, a small bowl with some spicy seafood my sugar was 13.8 - 4 hours later, forgot to test it at 2 hours, which was probably a good thing really :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
DazG said:
A delicious, sugary, jammy donut Nigel :lol: Only on the very odd occasion mind, but I have to be honest, it doesnt make my sugar jump very high at all, after 2 hours its never gone over 7.6, which isnt great, but a lot better than you would think eh.

Now your showing off.............! :)

I have to assume its because Im an angel at all times so im let off with the odd donut :wink:

That's two of us then!

Edit to say: I cant eat pasta at all, the last time I did, a small bowl with some spicy seafood my sugar was 13.8 - 4 hours later, forgot to test it at 2 hours, which was probably a good thing really :shock:

Well I ate pasta last night with a chicken breast and stir-fry veg, highest bg was 7.1....... :D

Your doing great Daz, long may it continue!

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
DazG said:

Your not alone Daz, I get exactly the same sort of result when ever I eat pasta which is a shame as I love pasta, but now it is only on the Bonkers menu as a very occasional treat and usually takes the form of a chicken and broccoli pasta bake, my personal favourite. :cry: