Plant based diets

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same for me with meat consumption, its also the same when I cut dairy out - I have a diagnosed intolerance to dairy. Been dairy and meat free for the last 10 days resulting in nice flat sugars - when I eat both then I get more peaks and troughs in my sugars
I would suspect that the meat / dairy diet will include more saturated fats, and these take longer to metabolise. I note that this effect has a name - The Pizza Effect, and it is a problem for Insulin users on MDI or pumps who find difficulty in getting a good bolus dose, Anecdotally I am told that they need to sometimes split the dose,. So the fat tends to delay things, and personally I do see sometimes that my 4hr PP reading is up from the 2hr PP reading which is unexpected.

The other thing that I have seen reported (again attributed to insulin users) is that they need to adjust their bolus to allow for protein. There is a body process called neoglucogenesis where the body converts protein into blood glucose if sugar levels are lower than it wants them to be. This is a slow and inefficient process, and again occurs later than expected. It seems pizza is a perfect storm.

Reactions: Seeps

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also curious if there's a vegan pizza effect. Figure on pizza basically being a large slab of carbs + toppings. Decent dough needs some form of fat, and if butter or lard is out, some other oil may be substituted, plus any that may be added to toppings. Then zip through a hot pizza oven that probably alters the structure due to the heat. But generally something that'd be tricky to make 'healthy'.

There does seem to be an upsurge in vegan promotion. Some seems to be based on the idea that going vegan will save the planet because cows fart, and vegans don't. Lobbying groups have been floating the idea of making a meat sin tax. Those seem to have come back into fashion since flogging papal indulgences got stopped. It's not a sustainable proposal though given the amount of land that would be needed for everyone to go vegan, especially if processing, transportation and waste gets included.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Tannith

BANNED
I used not to care one way or the other about vegans until I read that a vegan woman got the editor of Waitrose magazine forced to resign from his job because he made a joke, admittedly in poor taste about vegans. The poor man had a family to support. How cruel was that? Quite disproportionate to what he did. Obviously vegans don't mind being vicious to human animals. Now read this to hear about how the other vegans then threatened to kill the poor man's baby!!! What do YOU think of them now? https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...tor-william-sitwell-threat-baby-a8651821.html

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used not to care one way or the other about vegans until I read that a vegan woman got the editor of Waitrose magazine forced to resign from his job because he made a joke, admittedly in poor taste about vegans. The poor man had a family to support. How cruel was that? Quite disproportionate to what he did. Obviously vegans don't mind being vicious to human animals. Now read this to hear about how the other vegans then threatened to kill the poor man's baby!!! What do YOU think of them now? https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...tor-william-sitwell-threat-baby-a8651821.html
I think PETA followers are similar.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTENow read this to hear about how the other vegans then threatened to kill the poor man's baby!!! What do YOU think of them now? https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...tor-william-sitwell-threat-baby-a8651821.html[/QUOTE]

Personally I think anyone who behaves in such extreme ways is a self indulgent, somewhat deranged w*****, and thankfully such people only form a tiny minority within whatever community they claim to belong to - every community, particularly those based around belief systems, have their share of nutters

Reactions: Feldy_B and Seeps

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think PETA followers are similar.
Even as a vegetarian I loathed PETA. Cheap shots, grubby tactics, tasteless advertising & frequent outright dishonesty aren't all that ethical. To be fair they are only calling for the ethical treatment of animals so people be damned I suppose.

Reactions: Seeps