Omeprazole capsules

SimonCrox

The SPC for omeprazole doesn't mention problems with low glucose. Commonest side effects in practice are diarrhoea, and it might give folk more wind. If it is causing problems, then ranitidine may be an alternative - an older drug which is not quite as good at acid reduction, but less side effects. Swings and roundabouts.
Best wishes

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I've been on them for years now, at least six and I've never had any problems at all.
I am on Asprin so have to have them, to protect my tummy. I have been taking them now for 14 years and have never had any problems with Omeprazole either

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all for your replies.

I have spoken to pharmacy and purchased a pack of Ranitidine. Tried taking with water they are very bitter tasting I find. Pharmacy said they are smaller dose than the other med. I had a better night's sleep in between hypo prevention. I still drop 10 levels each night.

Have moved Tresiba to earlier in day currently 1.30pm starting to feel whatever time I take will still experience night lows.

Wondering with Tresiba overlap profile whether I should be taking at different times of day. Really hard trying to understand insulin behaviour pattern..

Thanks

DAC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swede
Hi is anyone taking Omeprazole capsules and how are you getting on with them?

Prescribed today for acid reflux pharmacy said they slow down indigestion. I asked if would affect diabetes type 1 he said not.

I am however concerned that as I have night time hypos this could delay hypo treatment Ive taken one but yet another thing to worry about overnight.

Thanks
I've been taking Omeprazole for about 8 years and never experienced any problems with my type 1 diabetes.

Bridie9408

Hi is anyone taking Omeprazole capsules and how are you getting on with them?

Prescribed today for acid reflux pharmacy said they slow down indigestion. I asked if would affect diabetes type 1 he said not.

I am however concerned that as I have night time hypos this could delay hypo treatment Ive taken one but yet another thing to worry about overnight.

Thanks
Hi have been taking omeprazole for years am type 1diabetic never any problems.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
There could be interactions with other medication you are taking. Several years ago I was put onto Omeprazole for the constant heartburn I was getting and it worked for a few months and then didn't make any difference. I was getting many short bouts of heartburn throughout the day, 20 or more of dry burning with no acid reflux and eventually had an endoscopy where it was found that I had gastritis and oesophagitis. For several years I had been taking an osteoporosis drug (Alendronic Acid) that you have to take once a week and sit up for half an hour after taking it with a full glass of water. After I very easily broke my femur I was told it was caused by the alendronic acid and I was not to take it again and discovered that stopping it also stopped the heartburn! While I was taking both medications I was also taking calcium tablets to help with my bones but read that in order to absorb the calcium you need stomach acid and what was Omeprazole doing - it was suppressing the stomach acid, meaning that taking the calcium was a waste of time. I have had diabetes since 1995 and went from Metformin to insulin but didn't find that Omeprazole affected my sugar levels and so far have given up Metformin, Omeprazole and Alendronic Acid and I feel better for it so it might be worth reviewing what other medication you might be taking to see if there are any problems with them.

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all.

I started taking iron tablets same day but don't think that would make levels drop Apart from acid reflux meds use Novorapid and Tresiba insulins.