What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Debandez...Thanks for posting that up.....made so much sense..Loved it.:D

and to update my BS from this morning is was..
8.5 going to bed last night...(succumbed to the lure of 2 slices of sourdough bread, in the mistake of thinking i could eat it without repercussions :banghead:)

Woke very refreshed this morning, though..a great nights sleep, will do that for me.
was 6.2...in and around my 'normal' morning marker.

Then had a bright idea taken from here, i believe...

I was craving a burger yesterday, McD's or similar..THEN i remember how much i enjoyed a PROPER burger
so hit the stores, bought some decent meat quarter pounders, grilled, hit it with tomatoes, red onion, dumped a blob of heinz's reduced ketchup..and slung it in between some lettuce leaves...Deelicious.

had errands to do so no 2hr post meal test, but 6 hours later i was feeling a little meh and hungry and was at 5.8 when i tested before food.

Never had to diet before, but i have cut out beers and take aways.
eaten reasonably well, more so since coming on here and hearing lots of good advise..
gone from over 16.1/2 stone if not more before augusts 2018 diagnosis, now running at 14 stone 7lbs....

Have done some but no where near enough running/exercise.

From the doom and gloom i felt on those first few weeks, i'm now seeing a glimmer of light in my not too distant view of getting back to a better state of health.

and if i'm honest...felling rather chuffed with myself.

i've applied myself to learning the good bad and ugly of diabetes and a new one to me...

Food. is it Friend or Foe ?
i've now realised it's not all 'The Enemy'.

and i also put that steely determination of mine (as i like to call it ;)) to good use
or as my missus and family more properly name it ...my sheer bloody mindedness..:D

At first it was hard..i felt alone and in the dark, regardless of how much the family rallied with good, meaningful advise.
But now i feel the doors have been cracked open and slightly ajar, and light is beginning to creep back in..and i'm no longer alone..:)

Thanks to all you good people.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Or burger in your case :) this made great reading. Well done you.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely showed 5.1 but it will be a very long time before I ever again have trust in a meter. Have a great 1st Sunday in Advent. I might try to find the outdoor lights for the hedges and trees facing the road.
@Chronicle_Cat fantastic effort on the weight loss - scales seem to be the most accurate of all the tools for data.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nice scores, Mr Lahey, Harrison & Ian..:)

and thanks debandez..( so inspiring.:bookworm: )

went to bed with a 6.2
this morning got a smile provoking 5.8

bloods done, weight done
breakfast sorted, morning rituals over,
off to work,

ya all have a good day..

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all
5.0 bg
Looks dry out there - hope it continues as we have youngest sons dog cooper on sleepover tonight. He’s arriving this am so lots of walks on agenda - yay I love country walks and more importantly for me no Project work on pc today on the agenda. Wonder if he’ll bring his doggy advent calendar with him.
Have a good day all hope it’s a good one for all and bgs behave.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all, 6.2 today. Missed a week of posting, for no good reason. Just fed up with the whole thing.
Hba1c back at 39, just 1 point up...prefer if it was going in the other direction.
Home gym for me today, looking at the storm clouds outside.
Hope everyone is well, your BG ia a winner, have a great Sunday.

M

Member496333

Good morning all, 6.2 today. Missed a week of posting, for no good reason. Just fed up with the whole thing.
Hba1c back at 39, just 1 point up...prefer if it was going in the other direction.

That’s still within safe, non toxic limits, but I know how you feel. I used to regularly score morning numbers in that range until I figured out that gluconeogenesis doesn’t work so well if you keep your glycogen stores depleted and don’t consume too much excess protein. Once I figured out this final piece the puzzle my fasting glucose plummeted. Hope that’s of some use to you. Sorry if I’m teaching you how to suck eggs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Canvaspic welcome back glad you’re posting again you’ve been missed and hope your mum is doing ok. You’ve had some stress which in my opinion messes with readings and in my case more than food.
One point is no great concern it could just be accuracy of test or they round up or down if below 0.5 or above so may be little difference. Thinking of you and hoping those storm clouds stay away.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s still within safe, non toxic limits, but I know how you feel. I used to regularly score morning numbers in that range until I figured out that gluconeogenesis doesn’t work so well if you keep your glycogen scores depleted and don’t consume too much excess protein. Once I figured out this final piece the puzzle my fasting glucose plummeted. Hope that’s of some use to you. Sorry if I’m teaching you how to suck eggs etc.

Thanks jim. I shall look into what you have said.
I dont want anyone to think i am fed up with the hba1c, that only came Friday. Its more to do with ongoing chest pain ( pleurisy) which is buging me, specifically the lack of action. Anyhow, enough said. There are many worse than me....cheers.

M

Member496333

Thanks jim. I shall look into what you have said.
I dont want anyone to think i am fed up with the hba1c, that only came Friday. Its more to do with ongoing chest pain ( pleurisy) which is buging me, specifically the lack of action. Anyhow, enough said. There are many worse than me....cheers.

I’m very light, so you may be different, but I try to limit my protein intake to no more than around 20-30g per meal. I don’t count it as such, more just that I’m aware of it. This, and weight training to keep glycogen stores depleted has pretty much completely eliminated the dawn phenomenon :)

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Canvaspic welcome back glad you’re posting again you’ve been missed and hope your mum is doing ok. You’ve had some stress which in my opinion messes with readings and in my case more than food.
One point is no great concern it could just be accuracy of test or they round up or down if below 0.5 or above so may be little difference. Thinking of you and hoping those storm clouds stay away.

Thanks Shelly, mum is fine, She sailed through all her treatments and is doing very well. The last hurdle is the hormone tablet, which doesnt sit well with her. Hopefully she can get along with it as it offers valuable protection.

I don’t think i am stressed in the conventional sense of the word, but exasperated with the docs, everthing takes a lot of time. I just want to bang heads together. I have it in my mind that I would like to be well for Christmas... we shall see.

Thanks for your kind words and valuable input.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Debandez...Thanks for posting that up.....made so much sense..Loved it.:D

and to update my BS from this morning is was..
8.5 going to bed last night...(succumbed to the lure of 2 slices of sourdough bread, in the mistake of thinking i could eat it without repercussions :banghead:)

Woke very refreshed this morning, though..a great nights sleep, will do that for me.
was 6.2...in and around my 'normal' morning marker.

Then had a bright idea taken from here, i believe...

I was craving a burger yesterday, McD's or similar..THEN i remember how much i enjoyed a PROPER burger
so hit the stores, bought some decent meat quarter pounders, grilled, hit it with tomatoes, red onion, dumped a blob of heinz's reduced ketchup..and slung it in between some lettuce leaves...Deelicious.

had errands to do so no 2hr post meal test, but 6 hours later i was feeling a little meh and hungry and was at 5.8 when i tested before food.

Never had to diet before, but i have cut out beers and take aways.
eaten reasonably well, more so since coming on here and hearing lots of good advise..
gone from over 16.1/2 stone if not more before augusts 2018 diagnosis, now running at 14 stone 7lbs....

Have done some but no where near enough running/exercise.

From the doom and gloom i felt on those first few weeks, i'm now seeing a glimmer of light in my not too distant view of getting back to a better state of health.

and if i'm honest...felling rather chuffed with myself.

i've applied myself to learning the good bad and ugly of diabetes and a new one to me...

Food. is it Friend or Foe ?
i've now realised it's not all 'The Enemy'.

and i also put that steely determination of mine (as i like to call it ;)) to good use
or as my missus and family more properly name it ...my sheer bloody mindedness..:D

At first it was hard..i felt alone and in the dark, regardless of how much the family rallied with good, meaningful advise.
But now i feel the doors have been cracked open and slightly ajar, and light is beginning to creep back in..and i'm no longer alone..:)

Thanks to all you good people.

That's a massive well done from me mate, I was in that boat last April when I was diagnosed type2, it is a life changer not a life ender, not if you adapt to it, and your "bloody mindedness" is what will get you through.