Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a low carbing T2 I still (and intend to continue to ) eat small quantities of a variety of low carb fruits - in season when I have that option. I try to limit what I eat to under 100g weight a day, so very few carbs, and at these levels I don't get any noticeable spikes.

It seems to me that currently fruit's being demonized due to the fact that it contains fructose - but no-one seems to mention that vegetables may also contain fructose, thought generally in much smaller quantities. And yes, fructose will cause fatty livers but only when eaten in excess (which is the current situaton as compared to our consumption 50-60 years ago). Our livers can use small amounts of fructose as part of their fuel sources to create glucose when required, so it has a useful/vital function. As long as we eat low carb fruit in moderation it shouldn't necessarily be a major problem - IMO.

Robbity

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Crikey, seems like my mentioning that I wish I could eat fruit seems to have irked some people and I'm sorry if that's the case. Perhaps what I should have said is I wish I could eat MORE fruit. I could eat fruit until my belly burst but I won't because I don't want to get fat and I don't want to have to inject insulin to compensate for my greed. I'm not demonising fruit, I eat fruit but not so much. I also eat roasties and yorkshires and bread but rarely and when I do in moderation.
I noticed the question first posed by @Pinkorchid and didn't even think it was just for T2s and as it was about low carb I thought I'd join in. I wish I hadn't bothered because I thought I was adding personal stuff which might be fun/informative to others. I actually feel quite sad at the way I've been preached at it's like being attacked.
I realise a little more from reading this thread how the eating habits of T1 and T2s are different yet very similar, thanks again @Pinkorchid for raising the question

Reactions: KK123 and briped
M

Member496333

In my opinion, from a nutritional standpoint, fruit is overrated. It doesn’t contain anything that I can’t get from another source, except sugar. But we are all different and enjoy different things. Whatever works for the individual :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But most of us do continue to do it even if we don't enjoy it if we want to keep our BG levels under control. That is the price we pay for that but that does not stop us wishing we could go back to eating whatever we liked...and we didn't all have a bad diet.
Can many people say they really would not like to eat a proper pizza, a pasta dish or real rice with their curry instead of cauliflower rice substitute or even a really yummy dessert instead of plain greek yogurt and a few berries
I can honestly say the idea of eating any of those things very rarely crosses my mind.

I guess I'm basically a boring person - I tend to eat the same thing day in day out for breakfast and enjoy it the same each time. For example, my breakfast always includes berries, nuts and plain Greek yoghurt, plus always starts with protein and usually that's chicken. I occasionally get sick of the chicken and will swap to cold cuts and cheese for a few weeks, but I never ever get sick of the berries. I honestly thought I'd get sick of it by now, but it's never happened.

I don't understand the need to make food anything more than fuel - and with the strength of my feelings about controlling my diabetes and belief in the healthfulness of low carb for avoiding adding to my list of health conditions, keeping to this way of eating is pretty much second nature now.

I'm also not a person who has any foodie or amateur chef aspirations, so my basic meals are just that - extremely basic. Again, it's just fuel and as time goes on I find I don't even want spices etc. beyond plain old salt and pepper.

If I had to live my life being miserable about my food choices, I don't think I'd cope very well, so just as well I'm a boring person :D

Reactions: maglil55
M

Member496333

[...]Can many people say they really would not like to eat a proper pizza, a pasta dish or real rice with their curry instead of cauliflower rice substitute or even a really yummy dessert instead of plain greek yogurt and a few berries

Speaking only for myself, most definitely. I prefer my feet to be attached to my ankles, over a bloated stomach and the glucose/insulin fairground ride.

Not being snarky, that’s just the mindset that I instill in myself in order to stay motivated :D

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey, seems like my mentioning that I wish I could eat fruit seems to have irked some people and I'm sorry if that's the case. Perhaps what I should have said is I wish I could eat MORE fruit. I could eat fruit until my belly burst but I won't because I don't want to get fat and I don't want to have to inject insulin to compensate for my greed. I'm not demonising fruit, I eat fruit but not so much. I also eat roasties and yorkshires and bread but rarely and when I do in moderation.
I noticed the question first posed by @Pinkorchid and didn't even think it was just for T2s and as it was about low carb I thought I'd join in. I wish I hadn't bothered because I thought I was adding personal stuff which might be fun/informative to others. I actually feel quite sad at the way I've been preached at it's like being attacked.
I realise a little more from reading this thread how the eating habits of T1 and T2s are different yet very similar, thanks again @Pinkorchid for raising the question

Don't assume comments are personal, I was making a general comment regarding fruit from my own T2 point of view and that includes my take what appears to be general feelings at present regarding fructose - I don't have a clue what your opinion on the subject might be.

And since @Pinkorchid posted in the Discussons section of the forum the topic's not necessarily specific to T2s although it may perhaps slightly more relevant due to the fact we need to rely more on our diet for control.

Robbity
****** off

Reactions: briped

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking only for myself, most definitely. I prefer my feet to be attached to my ankles, over a bloated stomach and the glucose/insulin fairground ride.

Not being snarky, that’s just the mindset that I in still in myself in order to stay motivated :D
That was just examples of the food that most people do like pizza and pasta are two of the most eaten foods, children especially love pasta. Look in trollies in the supermarkets and most people will have one or both of them in it. They are not my choice I never liked them but for people who loved them and have given them up I am sure sometimes they wish they could eat them again after all we are only human

M

Member496333

That was just examples of the food that most people do like pizza and pasta are two of the most eaten foods, children especially love pasta. Look in trollies in the supermarkets and most people will have one or both of them in it. They are not my choice I never liked them but for people who loved them and have given them up I am sure sometimes they wish they could eat them again after all we are only human

I did say that I was speaking only for myself :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure if you are serious (think John Mackinroe)- really 'proper pizza'? a wodge of bread with some nasty almost like cheese, some who knows what else and red sauce. Yech - pasta? Bleagh. 'Real' rice? Bring on the fantasy veges, please.
As for yummy dessert - you mean those sickly sweet stodges which make me feel that I have been hit in the midriff and need to lie down?
Yes - me - I really do not want 'normal' food, if that is what normal means.
I mean the foods you used to eat that you loved and that did not make you feel bad before diabetes

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Don't assume comments are personal, I was making a general comment regarding fruit from my own T2 point of view and that includes my take what appears to be general feelings at present regarding fructose - I don't have a clue what your opinion on the subject might be.

And since @Pinkorchid posted in the Discussons section of the forum the topic's not necessarily specific to T2s although it may perhaps slightly more relevant due to the fact we need to rely more on our diet for control.

Robbity
****** off
Hi @Robbity I didn't take your comments as personal. In fact I didn't know anything about the workings of fructose so that was really interesting and prompted me to do some reading around,thanks

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a big fruit eater loved it all and giving that up was hard. I ate greek yogurt and berries for months after diabetes diagnosis until I was sick of them and I never touch them now

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do use herbs and spices and I eat fish ,Quorn and tofu cheese is almost my addiction but it is still not the same because it is what we can't eat that takes the pleasure out of eating now. I said to my doctor once.. not about diabetes.. that everything we really enjoy eating is bad for us and she agreed with me
I can absolutely relate to what you are saying. Everything we enjoy is bad for us, I just think all we can do is our best, after all, if diabetes doesn't get us, something else will for sure. x

Reactions: briped
M

Member496333

I mean the foods you used to eat that you loved and that did not make you feel bad before diabetes

I think a big factor is that many people develop a different pallete after abandoning carbohydrate. Speaking again only for myself, I know that I wouldn’t ever go back to the foods that I once loved, irrespective of my metabolic health now. I just don’t desire those food types anymore. I understand what you mean though, as I’m sure everyone is different.

Perhaps a key element might be the difference between people who negotiate with carbs (count them and still want them) and those who choose to completely abstain. Besides overground vegetables, I’m in the latter group and it’s a revelation. Zero desire for bread, pasta, puddings etc. I’m sure I may not feel that way if I was still allowing myself meagre portions of them :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who knew an apple could be so scary.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just love Low Carb food. We eat out often and are usually the only low-carbers there, and I always think our plates look so much nicer that the plates of stodge our friends are eating!

And cooking at home, vegetables never see water (maybe a tablespoon added to the pan, to steam for the last couple of minutes) but all veggies are cooked in butter or bacon fat, Brussels sprouts are just yummy cooked like that and my cauliflower rice is to die for, way better than ‘real rice’. We make extensive use of double cream based sauces, the one that was in the old Atkins book with chopped shallot, lemon juice and zest and a slug of double cream, is still a favourite and it works brilliantly with the juices in the pan from any meat, fish or chicken dish. And a carton of ‘seriously strong cheese spread’ melted with a bit of double cream makes a superb strong cheese sauce as an alternative.

Just about to tuck into bacon, eggs, Low Carb sausage, tomato and mushrooms, what’s not to love?

Last edited:
M

Member496333

I just love Low Carb food. We eat out often and are usually the only low-carbers there, and I always think our plates look so much nicer that the plates of stodge our friends are eating!

And cooking at home, vegetables never see water (maybe a tablespoon added to the pan, to steam for the last couple of minutes) but all veggies are cooked in butter or bacon fat, Brussels sprouts are just yummy cooked like that and my cauliflower rice is to die for, way better than ‘real rice’. We make extensive use of double cream based sauces, the one that was in the old Atkins book with chopped shallot, lemon juice and zest, is still a favourite and it works brilliantly with the juices in the pan from any meat, fish or chicken dish. And a carton of ‘seriously strong cheese spread’ melted with a bit of double cream makes a superb strong cheese sauce as an alternative.

Just about to tuck into bacon, eggs, Low Carb sausage, tomato and mushrooms, what’s not to love?

Agree entirely. Your experience exactly mirrors my own. A bounty of delicious real food. Carbs are like eating paper in comparison. I ate a potato crisp not so long ago and it tasted like a sugar-coated bathroom tile :hungover:

Reactions: maglil55

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate a potato crisp not so long ago and it tasted like a sugar-coated bathroom tile :hungover:
I've never tried one - are they very high carb too??

Robbity
(said with a completely straight face...)

Status
Not open for further replies.