Disappointing Evening

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I believe he is right in saying it's a progressive disease as I have been type two for just two years a little overweight at the start but have followed a low-carb diet from the outset and in the past 10 weeks have been unable to stabilize my sugars through no fault of my own - my Dr upped my medication every two weeks to no avail and as of last Friday am now insulin dependant
I'm sorry to hear that. In explaining type II he seemed to concentrate on the pancreas and how the beta cells die off and not really mentioning insulin resistance too much. I was always curious as to why my GP would never give me a c-peptide test just see what the pancreas was actually doing. I started low carb 5 years ago but it became less effective about 2 years ago and my GP assumed my insulin resistance had worsened and didn't even suggest my beta cells were dying off and no suggestion I should have a blood test to see. So I went and had a C-peptide and insulin resistance test off my own back and have had another two since then. My insulin production has stayed in the normal range although this may not take into account the fact that less beta cells may have to work harder to produce the same amount of insulin. My insulin resistance has interestingly worsened and then improved. I have been able to avoid extra medication, I usually keep below 50gms carb a day but I did find that the more protein I eat the more difficult stable BGs are to maintain. What seems to work quite well is a virtually vegan diet Monday to Friday and then "meat and two veg" at the weekend. It can be a pain in the butt, however not having to make too many decisions about what to eat has strangely made my life so much easier, because I just don't have too many options.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm happy injecting insulin, I wish I didn't have to buts hey that's life!
When I was discussing insulin with my GP 5 years ago I was prepared for the change from oral medications. I'd seen my father and a cousin go from oral meds to insulin so I was well prepared. The fact that I then went low carb to lose weight and the "side effect" was my BG dropped dramatically, as did my total cholesterol, so a real bonus. Even now I'm prepared for my condition to maybe necessitate the introduction of insulin.
My main concern would be the effect of extra insulin, Rosiglitazone which makes you produce more insulin had a disastrous effect on my weight, not helped by the GP giving me Citilapram for the anxiety of gaining weight. When I had to stop taking the stuff because my liver function was worsening I lost weight without trying, until I was presribed Gliclazide when not only did my weight loss stop but I gained 10 kgs. So, I'd be very nervous about taking more insulin, it doesn't seem to agree with me, but that's just me. We are all different, what works for me doesn't work for everybody.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Jamie Oliver talks the talk, but it doesn't seem to affect his recipes.
https://www.jamieoliver.com/christmas/collection/christmas-desserts/
This is where I am not keen on the advice of JO..I can remember him going around the schools preaching of what he calls healthy meals, then on an advert he was promoting his sausage rolls for a supermarket and pies. He was preaching about overweight children yet I noticed that he was putting on weight. He has lost some weight since then, but its creeping up again. Low carb Jamie maybe? lol

Reactions: mike@work

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The title of his talk was lacking in detail. That being it was specifically for type II.

It's quite strange that the likes of Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall can campaign against sugar and everybody is on board with that. Even last night people were interested in whether they should be looking at sugar content, not even considering carbs.
Endos are not interested in diet in spite of its evident effect on hormones such as insulin so I am not surprised by your experience.
Sugar is something everyone can agree on. In our carb centric food culture, it is harder to demonise these since for people (albeit a minority) they are well tolerated and demonising carbs will involve increased consumption of the demon saturated fat! The public debate is still very much
Interesting about the insulin though and a sad indication that if you carry on doing what you have been doing to get you to be diabetic in the first place, then ultimately you will need insulin. Apparently supplies are due to run very low by 2030 based on the projected growth in diabetes so a good time to invest in NovoNordisk and Eli Lilly OR if a type 2 to keep doing whatever you're doing to stay off the stuff as it can only worsen insulin resistance and body fat composition!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . demonising carbs will involve increased consumption of the demon saturated fat.
I know what you mean but I believe that's a personal choice. I remember my GP questioning my decision to go low carb but only because of the extra fat she assumed I'd be eating. I did say that I was trying low carb not low carb high fat. Personally I was keen to cut calories and my tolerance of fat isn't great, or wasn't.

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I struggle with low carb as I often go to bed hungry, which I know isn't right, any tips?? I am also terrified I will end up on insulin

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I struggle with low carb as I often go to bed hungry

Do you keep a food diary? Do you eat more of anything else to replace the missing calories? Something I have done in the past is eat something like strawberries and 0% yogurt (any yogurt will do) late in the evening.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not saying you shouldn’t have berries before bedtime, but I do wonder if you have actually tried LCHF with very low carbs, maybe less than 30 a day, virtually all of them coming from above ground vegetables / salad. The reason I ask is that it is well reported all over the Low Carb forums (many of which are nothing to do with diabetes) that the most striking thing about eating this way is it is a massive appetite suppressant. I always have a ‘good breakfast’ with protein and fat - so bacon and eggs, smoked haddock and poached eggs, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or an omelette, minimum 2 eggs, and I don’t eat again till I am hungry and that is usually evening meal, and after that I don’t eat again till breakfast next day, and I am never hungry! Sometimes I get ‘bored’ and might have a few nuts or a chunk of cheese, but never hungry. I think it’s to do with lowering insulin levels and lowering blood glucose levels, the drivers of hunger.
I’d never have 0% yoghurt, only full fat unsweetened Greek Yoghurt, I think that artificial sweeteners drive hunger / cravings in many people and I prefer to only eat ‘real food’.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t have berries before bedtime, but I do wonder if you have actually tried LCHF with very low carbs, maybe less than 30 a day, virtually all of them coming from above ground vegetables / salad. The reason I ask is that it is well reported all over the Low Carb forums (many of which are nothing to do with diabetes) that the most striking thing about eating this way is it is a massive appetite suppressant. I always have a ‘good breakfast’ with protein and fat - so bacon and eggs, smoked haddock and poached eggs, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or an omelette, minimum 2 eggs, and I don’t eat again till I am hungry and that is usually evening meal, and after that I don’t eat again till breakfast next day, and I am never hungry! Sometimes I get ‘bored’ and might have a few nuts or a chunk of cheese, but never hungry. I think it’s to do with lowering insulin levels and lowering blood glucose levels, the drivers of hunger.
I’d never have 0% yoghurt, only full fat unsweetened Greek Yoghurt, I think that artificial sweeteners drive hunger / cravings in many people and I prefer to only eat ‘real food’.

Is that a Portobello mushroom I spy on your avatar? Yumdenomnom! I had them for my tea last night stuffed with spicy minced beef and topped with loads of cheddar, I right enjoyed them.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
but I do wonder if you have actually tried LCHF with very low carbs, maybe less than 30 a day, virtually all of them coming from above ground vegetables / salad.
I'm eating less than 50gms of carb a day. I have weighed what what I eat and use PC software to inform me of up to 10 nutrients including carbs, calories and fat. Those vegetables are all grown above ground, vegetables grown below ground definitely cause BG to rise. Unfortunately so does more protein. Low carbs hasn't been the whole answer to keeping stable BGs for a few years, it's a pain in the backside.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
or even reverse some of the horrible stuff that was happening to my eyes and feet. In fact he said that things would just get worse and worse.

How wrong can someone be. Thank goodness for this forum.

what a TOTAL muppet...:***:

how could any one, particularly a doctor, strip away any hope ....until ALL hope was indeed lost..
(Where's the FURIOUS emoji, when you need one.:banghead:).

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what a TOTAL muppet...:***:

how could any one, particularly a doctor, strip away any hope ....until ALL hope was indeed lost..
(Where's the FURIOUS emoji, when you need one.:banghead:).
You are so right but thank goodness for this forum - it certainly gave me hope. There are so many inspirational and supportive people here.

Gore Vidal said "the four most beautiful words in our common language are - I told you so". How I wished I could have said them to that doctor - but I never saw him again.