does anyone have a break from LCHF KETO ?

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean such as holidays where you treat yourselves to cake or puddings ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I will be having a couple of treats on Christmas Day. At the end of this year's gorgeous summer I had a real treat, a Devonshire Cream Tea and a Clotted cream ice cream cornet. When treats come far and few between I appreciate them even more.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll certainly be having some pudding on Christmas Day :) but will otherwise stay pretty low carb.

Reactions: Charis1213

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, most certainly. We have a couple of hols in Greece each year and get plied with lovely sweet treats by locals. I try to just 'sample' them and they don't half just taste great and as long as I limit myself I reckon I can get away with them and they taste all the better for being rare treats.

Reactions: Charis1213

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I have cake or puddings they have to be low carb, as the amount of sweetening in a 'normal' one would be overpowering for me.
I can happily eat an icecream made with cream and eggs, or a trifle made with real custard, cream, no sugar jelly or even gelatin, usually with yogurt of some kind mixed in and then whisked just as it gets to room temperature so it is all frothy - sometimes I mix in some berries before the whisking to colour it, and then more afterwards, and sometimes I make almond sponge biscuits to put into it, soaked in rum or brandy for special occasions.
There seems to be the illusion that the low carb diet is somehow second best - but when I take my food out to a social gathering I know how fast it vanishes, or I do now, having found only my empty dishes by the time I got to the table. They always seem to be the first ones washed up.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean such as holidays where you treat yourselves to cake or puddings ?

I tend to agree with @Resurgam, and for the most part most of my "treats" are low(ish) carb anyway, so there's no need for me to take any sort of a break! For example I can eat low carb cake whenever I feel the inclination to bake it, and there are plenty of low carb puddings I can indulge in on a regular basis if I choose. So it very much depends on what you consider to be a treat - most of mine fit happily into my low carb lifestyle anyway. There are one of two higher carb items I might eat occasionally, and in general I'll try to fit small quantities of these into my normal diet, but I much prefer to choose my treats as something I can enjoy without any worry about high carb content.

For the last five Christmasses, I've not found any real need to eat very much differently carb wise to the rest of the year, and most of my main meal on the day is low carb anyway. I've eaten one mince pie in that time because it looked so nice, but I found it actually tasted completely revolting so I've never been tempted again.:yuck::yuck:

I much prefer eating a low carb diet, and see no need to revert to high carb food just because it's a particular time of the year... But if you indulge in any sort of carb fest - at any time - you should also consider how you might need to deal with any possible consequences of ending up "addicted" to carbs again: some people can manage such dietary diversions, some may end up back where they started.

Robbity

M

Member496333

No. My diagnosis was so late that I suffered peripheral neuropathy, retinopathy and macular edema. Only dietary ketosis has enabled me to fix all these issues and set me on the path to a full recovery. I intend to do nothing to jeopardise that. My idea of a “treat” is keeping my feet and eyesight.

I do of course appreciate that other people are in a different position, and I would never judge their choices, but for me it’s very much a case of “I prefer eyes over mince pies”.

:D

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister comes to visit me once a year and I usually splurge a bit then as we always eat lunch out. I still eat my usual breakfast and don't eat dinner, so I'm trusting that the 18:6 eating window sorts out any BG excursions for me. I don't weight myself, but my clothes still fit after her visit last month.