Freestyle Libre sensor allergy?

Have you experienced allergy with the sensor?

• No allergy, still using it

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Allergy response from e.g. 5th sensor, still using it though, e.g. via workarounds

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Immediate allergy response from 1st sensor, still using it though e.g. via workarounds

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Allergy response from e.g. 5th sensor, stopped using it

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Immediate allergy response from 1st sensor, stopped using it

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Stopped using it, for other reason...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent experience exist among fellow forum posters around the Freestyle Libre meter and its sensor. Worrying though to hear what appears to be many users battling with allergy of some form or other at the sensor placement site on the skin. Wanted to get a bit better insight on how prevalent that problem really is and what that may have meant in their decision to keep trying to use it or give it up all together. Sad certainly if some fellow diabetics decide to give up an excellent monitor that could help with optimizing their daily care and therapy just because the manufacturer may casually have chosen one type of adhesive glue versus another. Depending on results we also gain visibility and have a case to discuss next we meet our local Abbott rep.
Choice of adhesive or ability to customize before insertion could/should be possible.

Look forward to seeing your results and comments on subject !

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Tim,
Sorry had not found it when using forum search tool. :bag:

Think though its also important to hear if it was immediate allergic reaction (tells what type of allergy) and if they as result stopped using the meter (commercial and quality of care aspects for both Abbott and the patient). This would provide ammo to go back and challenge Abbott if prevalent patterns emerge.

hols07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting to see I'm not the only one who has been experiencing issues with this. I have phoned the company to ask if they would send a replacement. They will also send out a biohazard bag for you to return the problematic sensor. It would be helpful if people could do this, so they can look into the issue more closely and change whatever chemical is causing the issue in the adhesive.

I have also had similar problems with the omnipod, with the issue arising after about 8 months (Dec 2013). The GP prescriped me a barrier spray called Cavalon, it works with the Omnipod, but it seems as if a 14 day time span is too long for it to prevent allergy with the sensor for the freestyle libre.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There is a lot of discussion on Facebook on this point. The issue seems not to be with the adhesive that stick the sensor to the skin, rather the adhesive that is on the other side of the pad holding it to the sensor, and bleeding through.

If you look at most people's reactions, they are not where there is only the sticky pad.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot of discussion on Facebook on this point. The issue seems not to be with the adhesive that stick the sensor to the skin, rather the adhesive that is on the other side of the pad holding it to the sensor, and bleeding through.

If you look at most people's reactions, they are not where there is only the sticky pad.

Tim - I've noticed a few references to the Facebook group. What's it called?

Seeps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has there been any recent updates regarding skin reactions to using Sensor? I've been on the freestyle libre sensor for over 9 months and over the last month or so, been developing a reaction to it. Any advice on what to do? The sensor has changed the way I manage my Type 1, as an active cyclist, it has been a game changer so I'm reluctant to stop wearing it.

What have others done?

Has anyone had any success in getting in touch with Abbott?

Any info would be useful.

Thanks