Travelling to China

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I am looking for advice for anyone who has traveled to China carrying insulin and needles. I am a little worried about it, as online it says they allow "a ration of 7-days worth of medication", but I am going for work for approx. 6 weeks! And I will obviously be carrying extra (I usually try and take 1.5 to 2 times as much in case of problems for large trips like this!)
So does anyone have any experience with Chinese customs (I will most likely be flying to Beijing) and what I might need to explain my medication (should I take a doctors note translated into Chinese?!)
Thanks,
Becky

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mike D
We haven't actually booked it yet as still in the planning stages but likely to be either Hainan Airlines, or an American one (e.g. Delta) as I will be transferring in Seattle (WA). Its not the airline I am worried about (I have lived and worked abroad for a number of years in North and South America) and have never had any issues carrying it onto the plane. Its the Chinese customs at the other end that I am worried about as there is very little information regarding what it entails online.
Thanks,
Becky

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It is the airline that interfaces with customs so work that out first. The last carrier on a multi stop op publishes terms and conditions and those are the rules you must comply with ...

gog1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I travelled to China for 3 weeks a few years ago and had absolutely no issues. I am on a pump so had a plenty of insulin and also pens in case of equipment failure! Customs were more than fine nad even did a few internal flights with no issues. Also learnt that insulin pump in Chinese is...... Insulin pump

Pol_Ie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Broccoli
Hi there....I went to China for a 3 week holiday 4 years ago and nobody questioned me about the medication or pens. I had the usual note from my hospital to say I was ok to travel with all the bits and pieces but wasn't asked for it at any stage. We travelled Air France. I flew to Beijing and then went to Tianjin with no issues at all. The Chinese airport police look like a SWAT team but they're very polite and would have seen diabetic medication a hundred times so I wouldn't let it spoil your trip.

Good luck

slbarron23

I travelled to China and Vietnam last year and had no issues what so ever - cant even remember being asked about anything! Had my drs letter anyway and got a free extra hand luggage bag through Etihad (think most airlines will do this though)

No one knows how much insulin you use so just take extra anyway - most people know so little about diabetes they wouldn't even question the amounts!