Eurostar security

joanne75

Hi I’m trying hard to find an answer to this. I’m travelling on the Eurostar in a couple of weeks (never done before) now with the Omnipod can anyone tell me what the security set up is like and what I need to do with my pod’s and pdm this is my first time through any sort of security with the pump. Thank you and help would be appreciated

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @joanne75 ,

I'm not a pumper. & I can appreciate you are essentially a "pedestrian."

I've driven many times using the tunnel crossing. & it's nothing like using an airport.
All in all fast, relaxed, & easy..
Security can pull a car over for spot checks from time to time. But they tend to just keep you waiting for a short while & "swab" the car door handles.. Presumably for explosive residue? (Lol, in my experience.)
Never been through a metal detector or X ray'd my posessions either.. Regarding these security checks..

You just need your booking & passport.

The last time I went in September was with a dog. The only scanning was with the chip in the hound's neck to verify his pasport regarding his vaccination was upto date on the way back. ;) He didn't even have to get out the van? They handed me the scanner to do the job so the animal wasn't upset by a uniformed stranger..

I actually find it all quite civilised.

I hope someone with the experience of traveling via the actual Eurostar comes along soon..

Reactions: ringi

joanne75

Hi @joanne75 ,

I'm not a pumper. & I can appreciate you are essentially a "pedestrian."

I've driven many times using the tunnel crossing. & it's nothing like using an airport.
All in all fast, relaxed, & easy..
Security can pull a car over for spot checks from time to time. But they tend to just keep you waiting for a short while & "swab" the car door handles.. Presumably for explosive residue? (Lol, in my experience.)
Never been through a metal detector or X ray'd my posessions either.. Regarding these security checks..

You just need your booking & passport.

The last time I went in September was with a dog. The only scanning was with the chip in the hound's neck to verify his pasport regarding his vaccination was upto date on the way back. ;) He didn't even have to get out the van? They handed me the scanner to do the job so the animal wasn't upset by a uniformed stranger..

I actually find it all quite civilised.

I hope someone with the experience of traveling via the actual Eurostar comes along soon..
Thank you Jaylee I’m hoping someone comes along as well

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Jaylee I’m hoping someone comes along as well

No problem, it's the best can do in the interim. Oddly, ferry crossings are pretty much the same regarding the security set up.
It's just the wait seems longer before setting sail. The crossing is always painfully slow too...

It's a long shot. Have you thought about phoning Eurostar customer services?

joanne75

No problem, it's the best can do in the interim. Oddly, ferry crossings are pretty much the same regarding the security set up.
It's just the wait seems longer before setting sail. The crossing is always painfully slow too...

Yes true I could do and try to explain myself, but of all the members on here someone must have travelled in the Eurostar as a pedestrian it would just have been easier to get advice from someone who has done it I’ll keep my fingers crossed

Reactions: Jaylee

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use the Eurostar fairly regularly. I don't use an omnipod, rather a tubed pump. I don't know what the Omnipod instructions say about xraying the pods, so I'd check those out, but with a tubed pump, I occasionally get asked about it, I've had to have it swabbed once, but normally I just go straight through security with no issues and no-one bats an eyelid at the pump.

joanne75

I use the Eurostar fairly regularly. I don't use an omnipod, rather a tubed pump. I don't know what the Omnipod instructions say about xraying the pods, so I'd check those out, but with a tubed pump, I occasionally get asked about it, I've had to have it swabbed once, but normally I just go straight through security with no issues and no-one bats an eyelid at the pump.
Thank you can I ask is it a walk through security and or a hand held scanner and do your bags have to go through a scanner like at the airport? Will also ring insulet for advice just wanting to know what the set up is at security?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Same as an airport, just no full body scanners. The usual metal detector arch and an xray machine for bags.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I tell them I have an insulin pump so am taken aside and patted down and sent on my way. It is far less traumatic than I ever expected to be honest.

D

Deleted Account

Thank you I have told by my DSN that non of my equipment can go through the X-ray so I’m confused now
What are you confused by?
The metal detector arches are not x-rays so you can take your pump through them.
But you can't put it on a convey belt and, if asked to go in the full body scanner you cannot do so with a pump attached.
As others have said in this and other threads, airport (and I expect Eurostar) security are familiar with insulin pumps and will pat you down.

joanne75

What are you confused by?
The metal detector arches are not x-rays so you can take your pump through them.
But you can't put it on a convey belt and, if asked to go in the full body scanner you cannot do so with a pump attached.
As others have said in this and other threads, airport (and I expect Eurostar) security are familiar with insulin pumps and will pat you down.
I’m confused because people had said they have put their supplies in their bags that have gone through the X-ray so from an Omnipod point of view can my spare pods and PDM stay in my bag and go through the X-ray or not?
Thanks

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I traveled by Eurostar in October and had no problem. They swabbed it at the British end, and couldn't have cared less at the French end. I set off the metal detector at the French end, the security person saw I had a pump and waved me through.
Security at Disneyland Paris were more of a pain, they didn't seem to know what it was.

D

Deleted Account

I traveled by Eurostar in October and had no problem. They swabbed it at the British end, and couldn't have cared less at the French end. I set off the metal detector at the French end, the security person saw I had a pump and waved me through.
Security at Disneyland Paris were more of a pain, they didn't seem to know what it was.
Was that with an Omnipod pump (as the OP asked) or a tubey pump?
I thought it was unusual to place the Omnipod somewhere the security guys could see.