Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, have had high BS some time now [meds isnt working] and from time to time I can suddenly smell strange strong smells and shout out to hubby or parents "what IS that smell" after they have a good sniff round it's ONLY me that has the convinction of strange strong smell about. Ennded up interogating the hubby with did I pong??? he says only of sweet perfume!! [guerlains insolence!] Last night it happened again, visting my parents and could smell strong eggy smell resulted in mum asking dad IF he had dropped one? after extreme thorough investigation my parents n hubby are convinced it IS JUST ME. Am left wondering can? do? high BS change your sense of smell? even woken up from my nice nights sleep with it too, shouting at my hubby for either burping or the other one! n when he hasnt done either then tell him to take a shower as he stinks! weirder after half hour the smell fades n dissappears! Is it my high BS or am I going doo lally lally? Anna.

pheobe

I have noticed I can smell strange smells where others cannot , bg's are not that high anymore they range between 5 & 6. most of the time.
Last week I could smell burning in work so 3 of us crawling round the floor checking computer wires but in the end came to the conclusion it must be me.
I have no idea if it is diabetes related or just me.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Thank goodness its NOT just me then!!! I too have smelt burning rubber smells and burning rubbish smells as well as pongs like strong eggy smells... I have only had this since the last 10months and it comes and goes. I do wonder if ? it is linked with the diabetes.... ? Anna.x

iHs

Hello Anna

Just how high are your bg levels going. My friend's bg when it was up in the 20's also said that she smelt of rotten eggs.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hiya, thanks for the thread catherine, had a mooch on the thread too n oddly HAVE had 2 sore throat plus 2 sinusitus infections plus ear infection n I thougt it was toothache!!! following on from a head cold [got from my 2yr old granddaughter] all upper respiratory, had 4 lots of antibiotics to help shift them... and during these times my strange strong smells kicked in with a vengance! During these times of illness n infection my BS rose higher. is it normal for immune system to be weak ? Will mention it when I see the endocrinologist on weds. Many thanks for your help. Anna.x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello, ihs yep... BS been in the late teens n up to 26 n get the burning rubber n rubbish n rotten eggy smells... even been peeping out of back door n over fences looking for the smoke!! As the smell is always quite strong so am convinced it must be close... Hubby used to me now n long suffering, poor sweetheart as he is really good with me. Anna.

iHs

Hi

Not sure what bg lowering med you are using but if your bg levels don't start dropping then it's going to be more of a hard fight to get rid of the infections I think.

Try to reduce the carb you eat a tiny bit to see if that starts to make your bg levels a bit lower. It's true that infections can cause bg levels to rise but as a Type 1 I usually increase my insulin or eat slightly less carb.

Have you got keytones at all?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. thanks for your reply, have n am on victoza top wack dosage 1.8 and its only made a small 'dent' in my high BS levels tried numerous tablets to lower it prevous to the victoza and they too failed to get it under control. Am tiny in body frame and only eat a little amount of food, tiny snack sized meals low carb , protein fresh salads n homemade foods with few veg n bit of meats. Make own soups too... Never have or can eat a lot due to my diverticulitis bowel disease. React badly to certain foods [the beige foods] white bread pasta cake ice cream plus onions are a no no with me. Am now having to accept going onto insulin as last hba1c was up to 9.7% and have been told my beta cells arnt making enough insulin in my pancreas.[insulindeficient] Its a huge major step for me to start a new journey with using insulin, they have suggested starting me on levemir. In fact today my hubby sat down with me and we discussed my fears n hopes with a future on insulin therapy. Anna.x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
p.s had keytones a couple of times, use the urine dip sticks. To be honest I dont know a great deal about these. Am not experienced or with knowledge of these, am just starting to move from meds to insulin for the 1st time ever next week. Anna.

iHs

Hi

I think you'll be far better off on insulin really. Don't even think twice about it. If you've neuropathy in your feet you need to get your bg levels much better controlled.

You can always ask on the forum for help calculating insulin to carb ratios if it's decided that you also need to use a bolus insulin in addition to Levemir. A good DSN should be able to help you though. As long as you can test your bg levels frequently, write down the amount of carb you eat, work at getting your bg levels at healthy levels by using insulin, you'll be ok.

Take care