Hello all Newly diagnosed.

ChrisSkin

Warm greetings to all. I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 on the back of soaring cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar readings. I feel mystified by the whole business. Shopping has become tricky! My Safe-Accu meter goes from LO to around 15-18 mmol with not much in between. Is that unusual? I see the diabetic nurse soon. I can’t get my head around whether I am seriously ill or not. And will 1,000mg a day of Metformin make me feel peculiar with side effects?

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi and welcome - you have come to a good place to learn about your diabetes and what you can do to improve your blood sugar readings. It comes as a bit of a shock at first, but the important thing to realise is there is a lot to learn and Rome wasn't built in a day. Diet and exercise are the two key things to concentrate on, but no need to rush in and overdo things. Watch carbs in particular - cut back on rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and cereals. Check what your body can handle by testing with your first mouthful and then again two hours later - blood sugars should return within 2 points in that time. Don't be overwhelmed with all the information you receive - it's a marathon and not a sprint. Metformin can affect the digestion a bit to start with, but if it continues over weeks get back to your doctor and ask for a slow - release type which can be better tolerated. Hope you soon settle in here - you are not alone!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi chris.

have to agree shopping does get more difficult, particularly early on when you just don't know WHAT to buy or look out for,

I have to be honest and say i'm not that experienced in the ways of the meters/measures, so if you don't mind i'll leave that to others more qualified.

As to that 'am i sick' question..personally i say yes.
that's why it's important to be diagnosed and THEN to take some actions.

The actions you take will impact on your health now and in the long term, that's why i was so grateful to arrive at this site.

I've read others stories, i seen the testaments from members of their own journeys back towards better health, and i've taken the opportunities given to read up on some facts i was not aware of re diabetes and food.

That is the jewel of the crown here, that chance to make your own decisions based on the facts and stories of real people
that i and possibly you can relate to.

Those first weeks were ever so gloomy, but now i've made those first steps, life's not so bad, my health and mood has improved dramatically from where i was when diabetes was first mentioned by the doctors..

Metformin can produce wind and diarrhea... as far as i know, but so far any issues for me have been pretty minor, but we all react differently to medication.

Hope you find the same help and comfort from the forum as i did.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Warm greetings to all. I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 on the back of soaring cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar readings. I feel mystified by the whole business. Shopping has become tricky! My Safe-Accu meter goes from LO to around 15-18 mmol with not much in between. Is that unusual? I see the diabetic nurse soon. I can’t get my head around whether I am seriously ill or not. And will 1,000mg a day of Metformin make me feel peculiar with side effects?
Hi, and welcome!

Let's see... Those measurements are a little all over the place, and when a meter reads LO, you'd probably feel it... So I'm going to ask the standard questions: did you wash your hands immediately after and tried again to confirm the reading? Are your teststrips out of date maybe? Because LO indicates a severe hypo, and you don't seem too concerned about those.

Are you seriously ill...? Well, short answer is yes. Longer answer: You have been diagnosed with a condition that can cause a whole world of trouble, IF you don't tackle it head-on. And since you're here, I'm guessing the tackling-it thing is in the works. I can tell you all about various diabetic complications, but I'd rather tell you you can avoid them all together. It's possible, so if you've been googling medical disasters in the meantime: you're not doomed, you just have to re-learn how to eat, as your body isn't the usual standard-issue bod, and other rules apply. It really is, for the most of us, that simple.

With T2, you have trouble processing glucose out of your system. Carbohydrates, almost all of them, turn to glucose once ingested, so that includes not just straight sugar, but, for example, starches and fructose too. If you cut the carbs, your blood sugar levels go down accordingly. Your liver will try to compensate at first by dumping extra glucose into the bloodstream, but it'll get used to the "new normal" soon. And since carbs are one of the three macro-nutrients, you up the other two, (fat and protein) to still get all the nourishment you need. (Minerals, vitamins etc.)

The things you mention, high cholesterol, T2, high bloodpressure (and which you didn't mention, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) are all part of what's called Metabolic Syndrome. If you start eating in a new way, all those other issues can improve greatly too. So that's the big perk. I was off statins for cholesterol and medication for the T2 in a matter of months, and it could've been quicker because I made mistakes at first. (I didn't discover this place until later, otherwise it would've gone better and faster, I'm sure.). Things that are carby and should be avoided if you don't want spikes: Bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal, corn and fruit (save for avocado, tomatoes and berries.). Stuff that won't spike you: eggs, meat, fish, above-ground veggies/leafy greens, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, nuts, olives, butter, extra dark chocolate (85% or over), that kind of thing... Loads more info on sites like dietdoctor.com , which is free for the most part (It's been invaluable and I never even joined.).

Metformin is a strange beast.... It's got loads of benefits. And if you're sensitive to it, rather nasty side-effects. And if you do experience those and they don't abate after a week or two, then metformin isn't for you. You can try the slow release kind if that should happen though. And it seems like a lot of people avoid tummy-issues when they take it with food. For me, metformin wasn't an option, so that's why I found low carb eating early after diagnosis: I needed to do something to feel in control again as it was,, and as it turned out, a change in diet reduced the risk of complications more than just meds would. T2 is different for everyone, and you might do absolutely perfect on metformin. No way to tell beforehand. Some people go diet only, others need metformin or other meds to keep control of their bloodsugars, others are medication/insulin only... And I have to add that metformin reduces hunger and tells your liver not to dump too much glucose into your bloodstream: it doesn't do much about ingested carbohydrates. Anyway... It's all quite personal. But this is a marathon, not a sprint: you have time to find out what works for you. Your meter will help. If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, you shouldn't, ideally, be up more than 2.0 mmol/l. If you stay at 2.0 or under then that meal was perfect.

I hope this helps.
Jo

ChrisSkin

Hi, and welcome!

Let's see... Those measurements are a little all over the place, and when a meter reads LO, you'd probably feel it... So I'm going to ask the standard questions: did you wash your hands immediately after and tried again to confirm the reading? Are your teststrips out of date maybe? Because LO indicates a severe hypo, and you don't seem too concerned about those.

Are you seriously ill...? Well, short answer is yes. Longer answer: You have been diagnosed with a condition that can cause a whole world of trouble, IF you don't tackle it head-on. And since you're here, I'm guessing the tackling-it thing is in the works. I can tell you all about various diabetic complications, but I'd rather tell you you can avoid them all together. It's possible, so if you've been googling medical disasters in the meantime: you're not doomed, you just have to re-learn how to eat, as your body isn't the usual standard-issue bod, and other rules apply. It really is, for the most of us, that simple.

With T2, you have trouble processing glucose out of your system. Carbohydrates, almost all of them, turn to glucose once ingested, so that includes not just straight sugar, but, for example, starches and fructose too. If you cut the carbs, your blood sugar levels go down accordingly. Your liver will try to compensate at first by dumping extra glucose into the bloodstream, but it'll get used to the "new normal" soon. And since carbs are one of the three macro-nutrients, you up the other two, (fat and protein) to still get all the nourishment you need. (Minerals, vitamins etc.)

The things you mention, high cholesterol, T2, high bloodpressure (and which you didn't mention, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) are all part of what's called Metabolic Syndrome. If you start eating in a new way, all those other issues can improve greatly too. So that's the big perk. I was off statins for cholesterol and medication for the T2 in a matter of months, and it could've been quicker because I made mistakes at first. (I didn't discover this place until later, otherwise it would've gone better and faster, I'm sure.). Things that are carby and should be avoided if you don't want spikes: Bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal, corn and fruit (save for avocado, tomatoes and berries.). Stuff that won't spike you: eggs, meat, fish, above-ground veggies/leafy greens, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, nuts, olives, butter, extra dark chocolate (85% or over), that kind of thing... Loads more info on sites like dietdoctor.com , which is free for the most part (It's been invaluable and I never even joined.).

Metformin is a strange beast.... It's got loads of benefits. And if you're sensitive to it, rather nasty side-effects. And if you do experience those and they don't abate after a week or two, then metformin isn't for you. You can try the slow release kind if that should happen though. And it seems like a lot of people avoid tummy-issues when they take it with food. For me, metformin wasn't an option, so that's why I found low carb eating early after diagnosis: I needed to do something to feel in control again as it was,, and as it turned out, a change in diet reduced the risk of complications more than just meds would. T2 is different for everyone, and you might do absolutely perfect on metformin. No way to tell beforehand. Some people go diet only, others need metformin or other meds to keep control of their bloodsugars, others are medication/insulin only... And I have to add that metformin reduces hunger and tells your liver not to dump too much glucose into your bloodstream: it doesn't do much about ingested carbohydrates. Anyway... It's all quite personal. But this is a marathon, not a sprint: you have time to find out what works for you. Your meter will help. If you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, you shouldn't, ideally, be up more than 2.0 mmol/l. If you stay at 2.0 or under then that meal was perfect.

I hope this helps.
Jo
Many thanks for that!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

ChrisSkin

hi chris.

have to agree shopping does get more difficult, particularly early on when you just don't know WHAT to buy or look out for,

I have to be honest and say i'm not that experienced in the ways of the meters/measures, so if you don't mind i'll leave that to others more qualified.

As to that 'am i sick' question..personally i say yes.
that's why it's important to be diagnosed and THEN to take some actions.

The actions you take will impact on your health now and in the long term, that's why i was so grateful to arrive at this site.

I've read others stories, i seen the testaments from members of their own journeys back towards better health, and i've taken the opportunities given to read up on some facts i was not aware of re diabetes and food.

That is the jewel of the crown here, that chance to make your own decisions based on the facts and stories of real people
that i and possibly you can relate to.

Those first weeks were ever so gloomy, but now i've made those first steps, life's not so bad, my health and mood has improved dramatically from where i was when diabetes was first mentioned by the doctors..

Metformin can produce wind and diarrhea... as far as i know, but so far any issues for me have been pretty minor, but we all react differently to medication.

Hope you find the same help and comfort from the forum as i did.
Huge thanks fir that!

ChrisSkin

Hi and welcome - you have come to a good place to learn about your diabetes and what you can do to improve your blood sugar readings. It comes as a bit of a shock at first, but the important thing to realise is there is a lot to learn and Rome wasn't built in a day. Diet and exercise are the two key things to concentrate on, but no need to rush in and overdo things. Watch carbs in particular - cut back on rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and cereals. Check what your body can handle by testing with your first mouthful and then again two hours later - blood sugars should return within 2 points in that time. Don't be overwhelmed with all the information you receive - it's a marathon and not a sprint. Metformin can affect the digestion a bit to start with, but if it continues over weeks get back to your doctor and ask for a slow - release type which can be better tolerated. Hope you soon settle in here - you are not alone!
Many thanks!

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you’re new I’m tagging @daisy1 for her informative welcome post - if you’re testing with a meter, you’ll know a bit of it already but it’s always a useful guide.

I’ve never been on Metformin so can’t help there, but just to say welcome! There’s lots of useful advice and friendly people on the forum, and we’ve all had similar experiences one way or another so all questions are good and someone is likely to have a helpful response.

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

How often does your meter read LO and is that before you eat or some time after you have eaten?

What was your HbA1c when you were diagnosed?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ChrisSkin
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.