Caesarean vs Induction

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I’ve tried searching on this section but I can’t find anything which is a mystery as I am sure it has come up before but...induction vs caesarean experiences/stories gratefully received, please!

Thank you x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was induced (with epidural in case they had to C-section). Nothing to compare it to. All that matters is that you and baby are safe.

Reactions: eeb123

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately as diabetics we don't get much say on this, it's down to the doctors to decide what's best for baby, as diabetic babies generally have a higher birth weight they prefer to induce and a Cesarean may be required too depending on how the delivery goes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Once you have had 1 x sun rooof job then the following births will need to be this way too. They will not induce against a previous scar (or didn't when I did all this 11 years ago..).
It is great to have plans about the birth but be prepared for having to go the emergency c section route if your induction doesn't work or baby starts to get distressed. The advantage of being diabetic here is that you will get closely monitored during pregnancy and delivery.
There are no medals other than for you both being well at the end of it all.
Having had 3 sections, I would advise a) getting up and about as soon as you can although you will be sore b) taking all the pain relief offered to enable this. My baby ended up 1 floor below in NICU so it was important to be able to make that journey and bond with her as soon as possible.
Finally although as I understand natural childbirth to be overrated, I quite get that it is a faster recovery process and may make a better birth experience for you and your partner! Good luck with your birth!

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was induced with my first but after it failed and baby got in distress I had an emergency c section. For baby number 2 18 months later I was offered the choice of trying for natural again or an elective c section.

For the second, they only allow 1 step of the induction process and if that doesn’t work you go off to theatre. Mine didn’t work after 4 days with my first so thought there is no way it would work after 1 so opted for an elective!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my sister, not a diabetic, had a cesarean with her first,but went on to deliver her other two children (single births) naturally. I dont know if that helps?

newtonj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was advised to have c section because baby was a bit big but i opted to be induced. I ended up having c section after numerous horrible failed attempts(3 days of it) and with a baby who struggled to breathe because she didnt have the drugs they would have injected into her during pregnancy to help her lungs develop early of it had been a planned c section.
Definitely going to go for an elected c section if theres ever a next time.

Is your baby too big?

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all of your responses!

Baby wasn’t too big at last scan, but I have just read so much about failed induction (I appreciate this doesn’t happen to everyone!), I am just not keen to go through what in effect would be two labours.
Plus with my earlier miscarriage they induced me and it didn’t work, hence the concern!
X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone,

I’ve tried searching on this section but I can’t find anything which is a mystery as I am sure it has come up before but...induction vs caesarean experiences/stories gratefully received, please!

Thank you x

Hi, my daughter was induced a couple times at the end of May this year, she had gestational diabetes and the hospital said babies weight was low, but baby didn't want to make an appearance, so they gave her a caesarean and baby Cleo, my granddaughter, was born safe and sound.

Last edited:

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was advised that diabetics generally end up going via the caesarian route, but I wanted to go down and try the natural route first. So they attempted to deliver me 2 weeks before my due date (saying diabetic mums have big babies etc so best get them delivered a bit early). Induced me for 4 days and nothing happened, was getting contractions but no dilation and baby started getting distressed so ended up having emergency C-section.

Second time round ended up with another emergency C-section as the waters broke 3 days before I was due to go into hospital for delivery (again 2 weeks before due date) and baby was distressed.

Other than having emergency caesareans, all was well with the baby's on both counts.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello :)

I’m pregnant with my 3rd 36+6 weeks ... been diabetic basically whole life so pregnancy has always been diabetic and all I know as with births etc induction

Anyways 1 st born who’s now 8 and a half I was induced at 38 weeks I was already 3 cm when I went in though unbenign to me at the time ... induction was quick and successful
7lb 3 oz

Second induction was at 35 weeks for my second born May last year suspringly didn’t end with an emergency c section ..... baby boy 6lb just a longer labour 2 pessary s later but no drip yay

Both of my boys though measured perfectly as my sugars were always too low so no diabetic cause for big baby’s

This time however I’m 37 weeks tomorrow but according to scan ( not very accurate in my opinion) baby’s estimated 8 lb at 36 weeks ... consultant yest tried to push for c sec but I’d rather try to be induced again I’m hoping as induction was successful twice before it will be again and result In a healthy baby :)

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

I've had type 1 for over 30 years. Had 2 relatively uneventful pregnancies and 2 inductions, resulting in 2 normal births. One with epidural and one without. Neither baby needed to go to SCBU, but I was fully aware that it was a possibility. I had expressed colostrum antenatally, so had a great supply established and loads of syringes of frozen colostrum should they be needed.

Normal birth is absolutely possible for diabetics but each delivery should be planned for best outcome for mum and baby. There are lots of things to consider, including baby's estimated weight, previous deliveries, stability of blood sugars, other medical conditions, etc.

Obstetric/midwifery team should take the time to lay out all the options and possible outcomes. They can't make you have a c section, neither can they force you to try for a normal birth. You and your birth partner need to consider the options and be supported in your decisions.

Hope that helps x

Reactions: kitty55 and eeb123