New to all this

Geoffno6

Hi I’ve not posted here in nearly three weeks. I’ve been on metformin and found out today I’m pregnant, I’m scared but happy because we’ve been trying for 10 months without success and wasn’t going to continue till I got this under control and lost about 4 stone. I think the metformin has played a part in me getting pregnant. Maybe it helped in some way I don’t know. Now I’m hoping I can get advise so I can have a healthy pregnancy

Woo hoo,congratulations!

K

Knikki

Hi I’ve not posted here in nearly three weeks. I’ve been on metformin and found out today I’m pregnant, I’m scared but happy because we’ve been trying for 10 months without success and wasn’t going to continue till I got this under control and lost about 4 stone. I think the metformin has played a part in me getting pregnant. Maybe it helped in some way I don’t know. Now I’m hoping I can get advise so I can have a healthy pregnancy

Fantastic congratulations

Emma3627G

Thank you. I’ve just seen the nurse and she’s booked me in with the doctor tomorrow morning.

Had a sneaky peek at my records on her computer screen and my last bloods were 63 mmol ? Is that good, bad ok ?

Geoffno6

Hi Emma, 63 isn’t scary. I got my Hba1c down from a scary 126 to 57 in 3 months and it’s now 51 after another 2 months so I’m in the same territory.
63 is diabetic but if you get on the case you’ve a good chance of getting it into the sub 48 non diabetic level.
How was the doctor?

Emma3627G

Hi Emma, 63 isn’t scary. I got my Hba1c down from a scary 126 to 57 in 3 months and it’s now 51 after another 2 months so I’m in the same territory.
63 is diabetic but if you get on the case you’ve a good chance of getting it into the sub 48 non diabetic level.
How was the doctor?
Sorry for the late reply. I’m 5 weeks pregnant now so have to test 5 times a day. I have to get my levels to that of a non diabetic person. 5.5 before meals and 7.5 two hours after. If I can’t manage it they are going to put me in insulin..

Reactions: Geoffno6

bchabfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So this has been a whirlwind for me. I’m a38 year old female already suffering from Ulcerative colitis .

The last few months have been very weird but the last 24 hours have been very worrying

On and off for maybe 3/4 months have been having some symptoms of cystitis/UTI on and off. been constantly thirsty, none stop urinating and getting hot and sweating at night.

Last Friday the UTI symptom just got too painful and I went to my GPs walk-in clinic with a urine sample.

They tested it and gave me 3 days course of nitrofuratonin. They did my bloods too because I was overdue them ( I have regular bloods for my colitis)

Anyway the UTI symptoms returned on Wednesday night and I was up all night peeing, drinking in discomfort in my bladder. So took a new sample of unine to my doctor and they tested it and called me to say they had found high levels of glucose in my urine and did I have diabetes in the family, which I don’t. She asked me to return the next day with a new urine sample so I said ok. Off I popped to work. As soon as I got to work I just didn’t feel ok, my bladder was aching so I went to the toilet. I then popped into the staff canteen for a drink of water and a colleague who has diabetes was in there so I decided to ask her some questions about her symptoms when she got diagnosed. She was really nice and told me how she got diagnosed and then out of the blue offered to test my blood there and then. She tested it and my blood sugar was 15.6. I’d not eaten in 5 hours and only drank water.

I immediately rang my doctors and left a message. She rang back shortly after to tell me they were very concerned. Not only was the urine they tested high in glucose, it also had high levels of keytones ? Blood, protein and leucocytes so I should go to A&E straight away. By this time my mouth was like sandpaper. I didn’t feel unwell other than feeling like I had a bladder infection.

At A&E they did two further glucose tests 13.6 and the last being 12 . They said I need my GP to confirm diabetes and which type.

I’m back at the GP today for another urine test. I have no idea what’s going on. This has all happened over a few weeks and I’m in shock. They said my ketone/Keytone level was 3 or 4 I have no idea what it all means and would love some guidance from you guys as to

What my numbers suggest. I know absolutely nothing about diabetes

Thank you xx

Hope you are feeling better, have they found anything else out? I have type 2 and have at least stopped the spiking of my sugars

I hope to lower the pills i take to control it

Emma3627G

they are putting me on insulin tomorrow. I’m just not able to meet my targets despite 1g metformin twice a day and changing my diet drastically.

I will be back on here tomorrow for more advise. I’m going to have Lantus at bedtime and novorapid with meals.

I’m concerned about how much to give myself. My levels post meal are usually under 9.5. Very very rare I’m over 10mmol. But obviously being pregnant makes me more anxious

Reactions: Knikki

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope things go okay tomorrow. Your DSN will give you guidance on the number of units etc.
Keep in regular touch with them for support.

They will start you on low doses which will be adjusted depending on your bloods.

Keep coming back here for advice and ask as many questions as you need.

Emma3627G

So I have my lantus and my novorapid insulin pens. I’m to start the lantus first for 2 weeks at 2 units before bed. If that’s not doing it then I will have the novorapid at meals.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there

That sounds right. A small dose may be enough to get your levels under control. Keep monitoring your blood sugar.

Hope things go okay