Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

camparisoda

Just got mine yesterday - 6.1% (not sure what that is in the new money!). Really happy with this - I'd expected it to be much worse, but my consultant said that we often tend to focus on the 'bad' results at the expense of our good ones.

Loraines

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not having dessert, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread ....
For people without diabetes, the normal range for the haemoglobin A1c level is between 4% and 5.6%. Haemoglobin A1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% mean you have a higher chance of getting diabetes. Levels of 6.5% or higher mean you have diabetes.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
my last was 53 previous 78
worst when a teenager - roughly 127 if I remember - in old money it was 13.8.
what a long way we have come in treatment and the Libre

Reactions: Diakat

limmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.2% / 33. I am happy with the results. Took me 2 years to transition from a high carb diet to my current diet of below 100g net carbs a day. I also have some beta cells leftover so this helps a bit. After the honeymoon is over things might change.

Reactions: michita

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi, just been told that my H test shows I have poor uncontrolled diabetes! The result was 6.9 and it was higher last time. Really confused! I think the GP who made the comment didnt know I am a brittle Type 1 and have been for 48 years. Is that a poor reading?

Reactions: Jollymon

James_Donnelly

The last time I was measured was the 4th of July. I was 52 (6.9%) which I'm not happy with. That means I'd be about an average of 8.4 day to day which is too high. I've totally changed my diet and the way I look after myself since that measurement though. At that point I really wasn't testing much at all, I was overweight as well and just eating lots of junk food etc. Since then I've lost about 25 lbs and went from 210lbs to 185lbs now and have another 15 lbs to go. I measure my blood 5 or 6 times a day now. I generally wake up between 4 - 5 and run at about 6 throughout the day I think so when I next get tested, which I think isn't until February I think I should see a drop to under 40(5.8%) which I am perfectly happy with. Under 40 is my goal.

When I got tested after 18 months of being a T1 my HBA1C was 36 and I would like to get back to that but anything under 40 is my goal.

Reactions: michita

gcalder

Some of these numbers are astounding! Getting my treatment just right has not been going well, based on those who handle it better. My HBA1C last was 56, and my clinic was jumping for joy (previously, it had been 76).

D

Deleted Account

Don't feel bad. Most people are flailing after diagnosis, mainly because most docs aren't up to speed with latest methods and just fall back on metformin, leaving it at that.
This thread is in the Type 1 sub topic.
I hope most doctors would not fall back on metformin for type 1.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

xxgeorgiexx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just going to jump in here then wander back into the background, diagnosed type 1.5 (LADA) 2nd july this year, hba1c on 1st August was 89, retested last week and now down to 51 now the hard job of trying to maintain that

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just had mine today, 46. Slightly up on my previous two readings of 44 and 42, but a lot better than the 103 I was diagnosed with 17 months ago.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Nice work @tomrose - big pat on the back !

Jonlennon

I was diagnosed in October and I had a appointment with dr last week mine was 131. They said they aim for 49. Is this because I've only been type 1 for 6 weeks? Dr was a bit rude to be fair, saying how I need to exercise more.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 17% end of July 2018 when first diagnosed. 3 months later it was down to 4.5% thank goodness !

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in October and I had a appointment with dr last week mine was 131. They said they aim for 49. Is this because I've only been type 1 for 6 weeks? Dr was a bit rude to be fair, saying how I need to exercise more.
An HbA1c reflects blood sugar levels over the previous 12-13 weeks on average, with the results adding more weighting to recent weeks.
If you had high sugars on diagnosis (well obviously you did), and your insulin has been slowly titrated to bring them down, then 'normal' levels won't have been around for long.
How's your testing coming along ?
Geoff
p.s. what a croc of a doc you've got. I'm guessing you felt pretty rough before diagnosis.

Reactions: Jonlennon
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi im type 1 diabetic, i had my hba1c results back today and it wasnt good im 9.3%. I am completely out of control with my blood sugars and nothing is working to fetch them down. Im constantly tired i sleep upto 16 hours a day i even miss college some days because i dont have the energy to get up. I have background on my eyes when i get tested in august. Im really struggling i dont know how to rectify it or what to do. Can anyone recommend anything