‘Baileys’ alternative

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
wonder if anyone else was a Christmas baileys addict before they went low carb? I’ve been experimenting and have mixed a third espresso coffee cold, a third double cream and a third whisky in a container with a lid so it can be shaken on mixing and also after it’s been stood in the fridge. I also added a few drops of sweetner to make it more to mums taste although I’m not convinced it needs this. It def made Christmas there’s something about baileys in coffee that makes Christmas for me and mum couldnt tell the difference! It’s so good finding ways round difficulties!
Edit Christmas 2018 new recipe this year from forum member @maglil55 its wonderful would recommend see
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1017#post-1926207

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your recipe sounds like an Irish coffee. Before becoming teetotal I would have an Irish coffee after a couple of draught Murphy's when visiting Droghedda, ah the good ol' days ;)

Reactions: shelley262

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I LOVE baileys but can’t do cream. Boo. Maybe it would be worth a tummy ache lol. Now I’m drooling

Murphy’s is right up there with Guinness but too carby for me. I just steal the thick rich foam off my hubbies. Lol settles my stomach too!!

D

Deleted member 308541

Murphy’s is right up there with Guinness but too carby for me. I just steal the thick rich foam off my hubbies. Lol settles my stomach too!!

3E5E821900000578-4324238-image-a-15_1489763193737.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your recipe sounds like an Irish coffee. Before becoming teetotal I would have an Irish coffee after a couple of draught Murphy's when visiting Droghedda, ah the good ol' days ;)
Yes suppose it is like an Irish coffee but I also like it as a tipple with ice. Just must make sure habit dosent continue after new year - mum and I have usually emptied baileys bottle by then so it was self limiting!

Reactions: 1spuds

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.baileys.com/en-us/flavors/baileys-almande.html

That's dairy free gluten free baileys, made with almond milk and sugar. Myfitnesspal says its 4g carbs per serving. I'm going to assume a serving is one shot. I think normal baileys has ~11g carbs per shot? Apparently it only had limited pre-Christmas availability and its launched in 2018.
Oh yum!!! In coffee, in whiskey, in French toast. Oop. I don’t eat that haha.

Hmmm...wonder how much to bolus for that.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I will definately give this a go.

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
If the makers of Bailey's could ever come up with a sugar free diet version, along the lines of diet coke (yes, I know alcohol contains calories but the sugar levels could still be massively reduced), they'd be on a winner.
I love the stuff (my sweet tooth only developed after I was diagnosed 32 years ago) but sadly, have to limit myself to the most miserable little shot, rather than by the wineglass full. :(

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Add cocoa powder to the coffee for the Baileys taste