Day 1 no carbs and no suger...HELP

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
I feel like poo at moment because ive not eaten any carbs (starchy, oatss etc) and no sugar.

Should i keep on this or just do a low calorie diet with carbs?

All im haveing at moment is fish,eggs,veg,chicken etc and loads of water

Any advise gladly received

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It sometimes takes our bodys a few days or weeks to adapt to a big change in diet. How are your blood glucose levels looking?

Reactions: Ponchu

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Around 8mmol mark but still dropping

Take heart in the improved bg levels. I felt the same way for a few days when I first made the changes but I made the mistake of not increasing healthy fats enough so in came the higher fat snacks to help, cheese has been my go-to.

Reactions: Ponchu

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Take heart in the improved bg levels. I felt the same way for a few days when I first made the changes but I made the mistake of not increasing healthy fats enough so in came the higher fat snacks to help, cheese has been my go-to.
Its actually rising lol now 10.1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Around 8.4mmol before and 10.1 later
Veg and some pork chops
That's alright then, no increase over 2.0 mmol/l. You might want to go for bonebroth and coconut milk... If you're feeling rough, you're probably going through carb-flu (or keto flu). Your body adjust to less carbs, and it's really a bit of detox... And it feels like the flu. Achy muscles, headaches, weeing a lot... It'll last a little while, but it does mean that what you're doing is working. Carbs hold on to water, and as you're not eating those you're shedding water-weight. That's a good thing, but it does leave you a little dehydrated and low in electrolytes/salt. Hence the broth and coconut milk. It'll make you feel better. It's no fun, but this will pass and I promise you, it is worth it. I had more energy, less panic attacks, and beautiful bloodsugars on the other end. And no carb-cravings. Hang in there, don't give up!

Reactions: Chuckannuck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - I was a bit worried when you said no carbs, as that can be rather a shock - veges have carbs, so as you can test, limiting the difference pre and post meals to two whole numbers is a good idea - once I got used to serving sizes I tried to keep to under 8mmol/l after meals and my numbers dropped, bounced around like crazy for a few weeks and then went on down again.
I think the bouncing about is quite a common thing, maybe indicating the emptying of energy stores, maybe something else, but it seems to be just a passing phase and it soon comes right.
I got down to normal levels of blood glucose eating 50 gm of carbs a day from low carb foods.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
So it looks like the Keto Flu, which is like an alcoholic coming off of the booze. Your body has to build new mechanisms for a different way of eating. What I did if I was hungry was to preference white fish, especially after a walk. The bone broth advice is good, otherwise some salt perhaps on meat or fish (your electrolytes could be out of sync).

Don't forget you can have every type of tea or coffee (recommend black). Sparkling water is great as well (make sure it is sparkling not soda). The ribeye advice above is just perfect, I had this this afternoon - local farm Ribeye Steak, Chips, Mushrooms, Onions, Broccoli, Cauliflour (the chips are made from butternut squash roasted with olive oil and some salt, I promise this is unbelievably tasty) with home made flaxbread topped with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and, local farm butter and marmite:

upload_2018-12-7_22-14-35.png

I had this at 16:00 and even after a walk I am still stuffed 6 hours later. As you can see potato chips and bread have been replaced. The chips were just as easy to make as the ones that raise blood sugar and the bread took 1.5 minutes in the microwave then a further minute under the grill (the picture doesn't convey but this is around 4 inches of bread at around 5 grams of carbs).

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So it looks like the Keto Flu, which is like an alcoholic coming off of the booze. Your body has to build new mechanisms for a different way of eating. What I did if I was hungry was to preference white fish, especially after a walk. The bone broth advice is good, otherwise some salt perhaps on meat or fish (your electrolytes could be out of sync).

Don't forget you can have every type of tea or coffee (recommend black). Sparkling water is great as well (make sure it is sparkling not soda). The ribeye advice above is just perfect, I had this this afternoon - local farm Ribeye Steak, Chips, Mushrooms, Onions, Broccoli, Cauliflour (the chips are made from butternut squash roasted with olive oil and some salt, I promise this is unbelievably tasty) with home made flaxbread topped with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and, local farm butter and marmite:

View attachment 29892

I had this at 16:00 and even after a walk I am still stuffed 6 hours later. As you can see potato chips and bread have been replaced. The chips were just as easy to make as the ones that raise blood sugar and the bread took 1.5 minutes in the microwave then a further minute under the grill (the picture doesn't convey but this is around 4 inches of bread at around 5 grams of carbs).
looks great .