C peptide reading

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All

Would be grateful for any guidance on interpreting my C-peptide result.

At the request of my consultant, I had a stimulated glucagon test a few weeks ago which has confirmed I have a c-peptide level of 0.53.

Got the result over the phone but my next consultation is not until May 2019.

From what I can glean a "normal" c-peptide is between 0.5 - 3.0.

Does this result accord with other recently diagnosed LADAs?

I was diagnosed in Jan 2018 following positive GAD and having been initially called a T2 for the previous 12 month.

A1C is 52 up a tad from 46 two months ago.

Any help much appreciated.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There doesn't appear to be any standard way of measuring c-peptide as each lab does it's own thing, but as you are near the bottom of the range and with positive GAD you will be a LADA and hopefully the consultant will change your diagnosis to T1. I had my c-peptide done privately as my GP was useless and my reading was 1.19 with a normal range of 1.1 to 4.4.

Reactions: cz_dave

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Daibell.

No doubt I am a LADA, I was just curious how much "life" my Pancreas has based on that C Peptide reading.

I currently low card and take 1500 mg of metformin per day.

No insulin as yet buts its clearly in the post, just not sure when it will happen.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Daibell.

No doubt I am a LADA, I was just curious how much "life" my Pancreas has based on that C Peptide reading.

I currently low card and take 1500 mg of metformin per day.

No insulin as yet buts its clearly in the post, just not sure when it will happen.
Hi again. My honeymoon period ran into at least 5 years or so before insulin but as my GP refused to accept I was LADA I was left on full dose Gliclazide etc until my insulin went low enough to demand insulin. Since then a few years ago my own insulin has continued to decrease so insulin is now essential. Some say that Gliclazide, which stimulates the pancreas, can burn out the beta cells so best to go onto insulin early. There is no way to tell how long your honeymoon period may be but once the HBa1C goes beyond 7.5% in old money despite low-carbing then insulin may be needed.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All

Would be grateful for any guidance on interpreting my C-peptide result.

At the request of my consultant, I had a stimulated glucagon test a few weeks ago which has confirmed I have a c-peptide level of 0.53.

Got the result over the phone but my next consultation is not until May 2019.

From what I can glean a "normal" c-peptide is between 0.5 - 3.0.

Does this result accord with other recently diagnosed LADAs?

I was diagnosed in Jan 2018 following positive GAD and having been initially called a T2 for the previous 12 month.

A1C is 52 up a tad from 46 two months ago.

Any help much appreciated.
I was diagnosed LADA a few months ago, was also diagnosed T2 for a year beforehand. Your results are similar to mine, positive antibodies and my C peptide was 0.40 I think. I'm not on insulin yet, just gliclazide and hope to stay that way as long as possible. I seem ok atm but because I declined my consultants kind offer of insulin as my last hba1c was only 42, he agreed on condition I have 3 monthly hba1c tests and agree to go for insulin once it starts to rise. He said it could be a very sudden deterioration or it may be very gradual, some people lose all their insulin production very quickly but others can manage for some years on tablets. Hope I fall into that category!

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Diagnosed almost 2.5 years ago. On 1000mg metformin a day.

Last hb1ac in August was 34, which is my highest in 2 years.

I eat low carb. I’ve had c-peptide done twice and both times in normal range.

The plan I have at this stage is that I will start experimenting with insulin treatment with my waking blood sugar is consistently at 8.

Reactions: OrsonKartt