VICTOZA users

CaroleDaycare

Re: VICTOZA

Hello all, I'm new here. I started victoza Last Friday May 6th. No huge side effects unless extremely tired is a side effect. Bood sugars went down that very first day. I usually run in the high 200's and sometimes 300 in the am. I take 35 Units of Novolog 70/30 with breakfast and dinner and also 1000 metformin Extended Release with both breakfast and dinner. Right away, with the Victoza, the numbers came down and are in the 100's. I don't understand why my GP didn't prescribe something else, He just let me go on and on and on with high numbers and an A1C between 10-11 for over 8 years... I decided to go to an endocronologist to get things under control. I am hoping for the weight loss and the loss of apetite, We'll see.... Is going from having high numbers to low numbers possibly causing my tiredness??? Will it level out???

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

When I went from high bs in the high teens early 20s down to the low 10s it gave me a allot of tired spells but after a few weeks of the same constant bs it did even itself out. I sometimes still get some spells where I really feel so tired I cant move but there few and far between. Hopefully you will level out.

purplecrystal

Hi everyone.I seem to be having a problem with the injection site.I seem to be getting a raised red and itchy bump when I inject the vitoza.I use to get the occasional rash from injections while on the byetta but this wasn't all the time.
does anyone else have this problem?and any advice as I not long been on the victoza say under 2 months and I am seeing results and I also have just been placed on a weight management program with the diabetic clinic.who will be monitoring me while on the victoza.so I dont want to stop this unless the clinic advise it :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Do you rotate the injection sites ?

purplecrystal

yes I inject in my stomach and thighs but I heard some people find it better to turn the dial while the pen is in your skin as the tip of the needle can drip and cause the rash?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

I use Byetta, not Victoza but even so I wouldn't recommend turning the dial whilst the needle is in your skin.....this can cause some movement and bruising or irritation. Best to dial up first then inject, nothing should leak out until you press the plunger.

The rash may be just some irritation, may not actually be connected to the Victoza........best to let your HCP know about this. Most times site problems are usually down to technique.

descartesmum

Are the pens preset like the Byetta ones?

I was told today by, I think, the diabetes nurse I will be meeting soon, that since I haven't lost weight with Byetta I have to come off it. It doesn't matter to them that it has gotten my bs down, nooo, I have to have lost weight too. I haven't lost weight with the metformin either.

I wonder if I present all the information on Victoza they will put me on that. It is cheaper than Byetta.

Apparently since I'm missing my appointment tomorrow due to a sore throat and temperature, I won't see the people in the clinic until July. This is something new because I used to go to the local hospital's diabetes clinic and know the nurses there.

I have to admit the woman I spoke to didn't seem to be all there mentally. It was like she didn't know what she was talking about and hemmed and hawed. :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes

descartesmum said:
Are the pens preset like the Byetta ones?
Yes. You only inject once a day at a time to suit you. There is a similar criteria to the Byetta ones.
I wonder if I present all the information on Victoza they will put me on that. It is cheaper than Byetta.

Afraid Victoza is not cheaper......Byetta costs the NHS £68.24 for 60 doses (30 days). 5ug/10ug.
Victoza costs the NHS £78.48 for 30 days supply. 1.2mg

I answered your other points on the Byetta thread.

outdoorgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Just wanted to say that I've just started Victoza today. Diabetes nurse said she'll contact me in a week or two and I've got an appointment with her next month.She talked my situation over with our new GP who's a diabetes expert and he immediately suggested Victoza, especially with my weight problem! Will keep you posted, no side effects so far!!!

purplecrystal

hi all again.
I have been trying to get hold of my dsn since my last post.and had no luck or reply yet to which I am disapointed to be fair as The hospital diabetic clinic is meant to be monitoring me while on victoza.I keep getting an answering machine sigh.
anyway reason why I am posting this again is I am getting worried now that everytime I inject I am getting a rash with severe itching and slightly raised.I have even tried injecting with wiping before and after with a baby wipe.and still get the rash.
The rash fades after afew days and gives a bruised looked.I am using nappy rash cream to try ease the itch.
I came across this information online and I am very concerned now ...Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching;. I am worried the dsn may take me off the victoza because the rash reaction.does anyone have anymore advice for me please?
thanks
Side Effects of Victoza - for the Consumer
Victoza

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Victoza:

Constipation; decreased appetite; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; sinus inflammation; sore throat; upset stomach; vomiting.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Victoza:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); increased or painful urination; severe stomach pain (with or without vomiting); symptoms of thyroid cancer (eg, lump or swelling in the neck, trouble swallowing, shortness of breath, persistent hoarseness).

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories

just started on victoza today, 0.6 for one week. feel ok but am not hungry like before, maybe this will work. i hope so
have been on glicazide for a year and have put nearly 2 stone on. i'm now 130kg and need to reduce to around 90kg, do you think i can do it ?

oh-so-hopeful

Hi - I have T2 diabetes for nearly 15 years now. I have been told yesterday that I now have to take Victoza to help my A1C and help reduce weight. I am 5'6.5" and weigh 210 - with lots of chronic pain due to arthritis and feet neuropathy.

I take Met (2.5 twice/day) + Glyburide (max) + 30 units of insulin (lanthus in the pm) together with ramipril for BP and Crestor + gabapantene.

I have to admit I am afraid to take on another medication (let alone another needle!) and I read about it and just got me scared. I am almost to the point where I am inclined to ignore the helpful medical professionals and just do what I think I want to do (which isn't much). I can't exercise much due to the arthritis and neuropathy.

Is there anyone out there who is taking this diabetic medication cocktail - or basically in the same boat that I am in?

I would welcome all the comments you can share with me as I am already getting depressed.

Thank you very much.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hiya, Am not taking same or similar mix of your meds, but have been using victoza since febuary 25th 2011 it has been successful with a great weight loss of 1.5stone, thanks to the appetite suppressant mechanics of it, but only made a small dent in my high BS levels. Am now moving onto insulin this next weds as my hba1c 9.7 and still going up ! Despite tiny food portions n amounts. [low carbs n proteins n salads n few veggies]. If the weight issue is a concern with you it is an excellent thing n very clever peptide to tell your stomach its full and when you do eat its peptide glp1 enzyme goes to the pancreas to stimulate it for more insulin. All I can say is all you can do is give it a whirl? especially if weight is causing you distress or as in my case discomfort. [am actually tiny with heart problems n extra weight was putting too much pressure n strain on my heart plus more importantly-my BS levels were too high also] so it was worth me trying victoza. Hope this may help n encourage you. Anna.x

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories

hi, victoza doing really well, still at 0.6 but no side effects at all, noticing complete change in eating habits, not hungry at all which is a real change, just on metform 1000mg twice a day, hope this will work and get down my weight. am quietly confident, oh and feel a lot less tired, bs hovering between 6,8 and 10 is max (had a magnum icecream that nite) mostly around 7-8. i just hope this works and can at least loose the weight i put on with glicazide atleast which is about 28llbs and then need to shift another 60 llbs. if i just lost a steady 2lbs a week or even 3lbs then that would take me between 30 and 45 weeks. oh i wish a brand new me for 2012 wouldn't that be lovely. i keep going

Gaz

Hi All
Just thought I post a note on how I'm doing with Victoza. I've been on victoza 1.2mg for 12 weeks tomorrow and my hb1c has come down from 10.7 to 8.1, great result

Gaz

Amansco

Hi Folks
I am so glad that I found this thread on Victoza as I have just been prescribed this Victoza. My blood sugars are horrendous and have been for years. Because of other serious health problems, my diabetes is out of control. A few years ago I was prescribed Avandia (Rosiglitazone) to take along with my insulin but after being on the drug for over a year, I ended up with heart problems and had to stop taking the drug right away. Last year I was prescribed the Byetta injection and it really brought my blood sugars down however after taking the drug for a few months I ended up with chronic diarrhoea for 3 months - it was awful and I couldn't leave the house at all. In the end I had no choice but to stop taking the drug. For the last year I have been on Humalog 50 mix.

I have to admit that I am apprehensive for fear it will make me ill like Byetta did but my doctor did tell me that Victoza is more user friendly so I am hoping that I will be able to tolerate it well as I need to get the blood sugars down. I wanted to ask if anybody has any experience of taking Victoza along with insulin and if anybody has experience, can you tell me if you adjusted your insulin dosage. My GP wasn't sure what to advise me to do. I can't remember how much insulin I took when I was on Byetta so would appreciate any advice. I am not starting the Victoza until next week. I would really value any advice you can give with regards to adjusting my insulin levels when starting Victoza

Madame P

Hi Amansco

I was on 88 units of Lantus per day as well as four 80mg gliclazide per day. When I went onto Victoza in February I dropped my Lantus units to 56 and halved my gliclazide. My HBA1C has dropped from 7.8 down to 7.2 so am pleased with that. Not lost very much weight tho' but I think that's me being too greedy still - must start listening to my Paul McKenna CD again as that was working for a while telling myself to stop when I'm full. At least one doesn't feel too hungry on Victoza.

good luck Madame P

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi, amansco. Am similar as far as intolerance to various meds goes, seems the byetta didnt agree with you [been there unable to leave home n trapped indoors due to risk of the runs n sickness etc] been on victoza some time now and am a happy lady on it too, lost the weight n gained freedom to get out more as I am able to tollerate it. What are your readings of high BS ? Am other way round to you with was firstly on victoza with the levemir added to it. The consultant is starting me of small dose to see IF I can tollerate levemir? if cant am stopping it immediately n they will have to try something else... As victoza agrees with me the insulin dose will be added to my daily regime n life bit by bit to see IF I can tolerate. When you start out on victoza its usually tiny dose of 0.6 for 2weeks this is to see IF you can tolerate the GLP 1 peptide enzymme in which it works as... A very clever enzymme designed n created to mimic our own in the pancreas. Let us know what your high sugar readings are? See if can shed any? light on it to help you. Anna.x