Type 2 Overweight and just new to Type 2 diebetes

Larryr

A lot of what I’ve seen is showing lots of good things to help with the diabetes but a lot this I don’t think will help with trying to lose weight.I know moderation is very helpful but even moderation with this won’t help me,right now anyways,and good ideas or anything,lol,sorry,I know I’m probably grasping at air but that’s all I got
Thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

Never give up hope! There's a shedload of things you can do to improve your overall health. Could you tell us why you seem to think you are beyond losing weight?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The first to come to my mind is @Rachox , but there are many on this forum who pulled the trick of significantly lowering blood sugar and weight by lowering carbs and upping fats. Without having to go hungry, that is. Could you give @Larryr a heads up with your story, Rachox?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Larryr, thanks for the tag @Antje77 .
Welcome to the forum. I’m a similar age to you and was diagnosed with type 2 18 months ago. I was well overweight (officially obese) and had been for over 20 years. I had given upon dieting, low fat this and that, shakes, fruit diet, soup diet, you name it I’d tried them. My type 2 diagnosis was a blessing in disguise. I went low carb to get my blood sugars under control but that had the happy side effect of weight loss. To date I have lost over six stone without counting a single calorie and my HbA1c has been at a non diabetic level for over a year now.
If you could give us a little more info about yourself, if you are comfortable doing so it will help us guide you. Do you know your latest HbA1c? Do you take any meds? And do you monitor your bloods at home?

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The first to come to my mind is @Rachox , but there are many on this forum who pulled the trick of significantly lowering blood sugar and weight by lowering carbs and upping fats. Without having to go hungry, that is. Could you give @Larryr a heads up with your story, Rachox?

Hello Larry

I’ve been type 2 (steroid induced) fo about 3 years. I was about 23 stone. I’d spent a lifetime trying to loose weight by cutting down on fat , with little or no success.
When I was diagnosed my blood sugar levels were in the mid to high teens. Fortunately I found this site early on, and switched to low carbs and higher fat. I decided to forget about loosing weight and concentrate on getting the blood sugar levels down. By the time I saw the diabetes nurse 6 weeks later I had already got the blood sugar levels down, and surprisingly had lost about a stone.

Altogether I have lost about 9 stone, without really trying, and my morning blood sugar is usually between 4.5 to 5.5.

I’m not the only one. There are quite a few of us who switched to LCHF, and found weight just dropping off.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was concentrating on controlling my blood glucose, and was shocked to find that I had lost so much weight, just by eating low carb foods.

Larryr

Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

Never give up hope! There's a shedload of things you can do to improve your overall health. Could you tell us why you seem to think you are beyond losing weight?

It just seems like I’m always hungry,I know that might sound lame.I quit smoking about a year and 1/2 ago,and than I just figured I should give up something bad and not that that made me hungry,I’ve always liked food,not sweets or cakes or cookies,but steak,chicken turkey,as you can tell I’m a meat guy,and I know my portions were probably to big but never gave it much thought.Since I found I grade type 2 diabetes on Monday the 3rd I’ve done pretty good,under 2000 calories every day net carbs are around 200.I haven’t seen the diabetic doctors yet,my own doctor is seeing me on the 15th to prescribe what ever pills I’ll have to take and than I’m guessing I’ll see the rest of who I have to see
So just winging it right now,but I’m a little scared of what I’ll have to change and hope I can

Reactions: zauberflote

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It just seems like I’m always hungry,I know that might sound lame.I quit smoking about a year and 1/2 ago,and than I just figured I should give up something bad and not that that made me hungry,I’ve always liked food,not sweets or cakes or cookies,but steak,chicken turkey,as you can tell I’m a meat guy,and I know my portions were probably to big but never gave it much thought.Since I found I grade type 2 diabetes on Monday the 3rd I’ve done pretty good,under 2000 calories every day net carbs are around 200.I haven’t seen the diabetic doctors yet,my own doctor is seeing me on the 15th to prescribe what ever pills I’ll have to take and than I’m guessing I’ll see the rest of who I have to see
So just winging it right now,but I’m a little scared of what I’ll have to change and hope I can

Meat is GOOD. Carbs are not so good. Eat more meat, less potatoes. Not loads of red meat mind but chicken, fish if you like it? Lots of above ground vegetables. Well done on stopping smoking :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Exercise routine?

Larryr

Meat is GOOD. Carbs are not so good. Eat more meat, less potatoes. Not loads of red meat mind but chicken, fish if you like it? Lots of above ground vegetables. Well done on stopping smoking :)

Thanks,I’ve stopped eating bread,with my lunch I’ve gone to a wrap,90 calories each,I have 2 a day,no more potatoes or fries,I’m ok with that part,but I know theirs calories in chicken and steak so will have to cut down on that,I’ve been reading to go with 6 ounces at dinner but I’m used to 10 or 12,minimum!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
carbs at 200gm per day - I can manage 50 and keep my blood glucose levels down to almost normal.
There's no need to cut right back on meat or fish, or eggs or cheese - they have no carbs, and would only be converted to glucose if you were in need of fuel - keeping up your intake of fats and proteins should keep your energy levels up but drop blood glucose.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Well done on quitting the ciggies (I envy you) great news, you can keep the meat in your diet and forget all the hogwash about calories. I suggest you cut your carb intake to about 100g per day while at the same time raising the amount of healthy fats in your diet to replace the fuel fr8m carbs but (more importantly) keeps yousatisfied for far longer. So, out with the higher carb veggies like spuds and sweetcorn and in with the bacon and butter to keep you fuller for longer. Job's a goodun'.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What can I eat at at 50 carbs a day?

A typical meal for me is steak, buttered cabbage and broccoli. If I have eggs, bacon, sausage and mushrooms for my brekky then this totals less than 30g of carbs and comes with lovely blood glucos levels and a full stomach. Have a gander at https://dietdoctor.com

edited to add. I forgot about the cheese! Cheese for snacks and cheese on the side, too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Any meat or fish, shellfish, eggs, cheese, plus loads of low carb veges. If you stick to foods under 11 percent carbs - and there are lots of them, you can fill your plate eat well and have low blood glucose.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The 200 grams of net carbs would be a reason for feeling hungry and would hinder weight loss and diabetes control. Like you I want a lot of food. I removed carbs, increased good fats (cheese, avocado, full fat yogurt, nuts), then I pulled back a little the fats and increased protein as I weight train (suggest barbell squats, deadlift, bench press as staples in preference to cardio).

Take a look at these sites to see the types of food:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/SampleMeals.html

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Last time ... what is your weight?