Bloods and fasting

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just wondered if its normal for blood sugars to rise when fasting.

My bloods do rise then they do fall, but just wondered if normal or not?

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine always rise before breakfast (DP) I can wake to it in the low 5s but it can rise for a while
For example yesterday I had an endoscopy and had to fast so had nothing other than water for 13 hrs. I haven’t been testing since my last hba1c was 38, but the hospital tested at 9:30am and it was 7.6! Admittedly their testing skills were a bit lackadaisical as they didn’t get me to wash my hands prior to the test.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondered if its normal for blood sugars to rise when fasting.

My bloods do rise then they do fall, but just wondered if normal or not?
Depends what you mean by rise and fall and the degree of both. My sugars usually fall significantly when fasting but are still slightly elevated in the morning. Lowest readings usually mid afternoon. Also not forgetting the margin of error on meters and strips..

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Depends what you mean by rise and fall and the degree of both. My sugars usually fall significantly when fasting but are still slightly elevated in the morning. Lowest readings usually mid afternoon. Also not forgetting the margin of error on meters and strips..
Mine would be about 9 to 10mmol and for a few days 11 or 13mmol and this would be first thing before breakfast.

And ive noticed my bloods would continue to rise if im still fasting but once been up for 2 to 3hours they do start to fall but only to about 7 or 8mmol.

They only drop lower when i eat and workout.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's still pretty high.. still on just metformin?
Sorry but as your profile isn't very complete its quite hard to see what you're doing so hard to advise..
Have you cut your carbs much?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow that's still pretty high.. still on just metformin?
Sorry but as your profile isn't very complete its quite hard to see what you're doing so hard to advise..
Have you cut your carbs much?
Not on any meds
If i have say 5 egg whites on toast my bloods would drop 2 hours later.
And they would drop even more if i cut out starch.

Im learning that its not unusual for bgs to rise first thing in morn and even more so when fasting, because of the fat going through blood stream.(i think thats right)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not on any meds
If i have say 5 egg whites on toast my bloods would drop 2 hours later.
And they would drop even more if i cut out starch.

Im learning that its not unusual for bgs to rise first thing in morn and even more so when fasting, because of the fat going through blood stream.(i think thats right)
OK so no meds but you are still having toast?
Why not just have 5 whole eggs maybe scrambled with some butter you'd probably get far better blood sugar numbers after that and feel less hungry 2 hours afterwards...

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OK so no meds but you are still having toast?
Why not just have 5 whole eggs maybe scrambled with some butter you'd probably get far better blood sugar numbers after that and feel less hungry 2 hours afterwards...
The crazy thing is i wouldn't be hungry like that.
I have egg whites as i found i cant seem to have too much eggs as causes problems with gaul bladder area (liver function is fine)
And besides alot of fitness trainners only eat the whites, so i am kinda following that.

My diet is all over the place as u can guess/see, doing fasting for 16+ hours one day then no carbs then i would have carbs or the timeing of haveing carbs etc

At moment im on day 2 of no carbs as possible so just eating fish,chicken,meat, some eggs veg and loads of water.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And besides alot of fitness trainners only eat the whites
A lot of fitness trainers also have no idea about good nutrition.. fats (of which there are far more in the yolks) make you feel fuller for longer.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
And besides alot of fitness trainners only eat the whites, so i am kinda following that.
Just out of interest, is there a reason for that? I know the white has slightly more protein (maybe a gram ot 2 depending on the egg), has less calories, but the yolk seems to contain more nutrients and fat.

M

Member496333

Just out of interest, is there a reason for that? I know the white has slightly more protein (maybe a gram ot 2 depending on the egg), has less calories, but the yolk seems to contain more nutrients and fat.

Anti-cholesterol propaganda, mostly.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Like i said before i personally cant have too many eggs however i am going to try something next week as i do have a cholesterol reader

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A lot of fitness trainers also have no idea about good nutrition.. fats (of which there are far more in the yolks) make you feel fuller for longer.
Umm will have to agree to disagree on this im afraid.
However i am talking professional athletes rather than the guy/girl down the gym

When it comes to eating they watch the carbs just like us.
Weights and HIIT is the best for bringing bgs down.

But pretty much all of them eat egg whites only and the results are standing in front of u.

I am going to try something next week to see if eggs do raise my cholesterol, i shall keep u posted with the results

M

Member496333

If you reduce dietary cholesterol your body will just make more. It’s critical to human life. You’d be dead in minutes without it.

Yolk is the most nutritious part of the egg. Obviously you’re free to make your own choices though :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
However i am talking professional athletes rather than the guy/girl down the gym

But pretty much all of them eat egg whites only and the results are standing in front of u.

I am going to try something next week to see if eggs do raise my cholesterol, i shall keep u posted with the results

Genuine question. Do the home cholesterol monitors give you Total cholesterol alone or some sort of breaksown? If it is the former, it is worse than useless, if it is the latter I would guess it was about as good as a glucometer i.e 15% ish margin of error either way.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You are making a rather large assumption that "raising" your "cholesterol" is of necessity a "bad" thing..
Also I doubt a home testing kit will show you a breakdown of your lipids to enable a full analysis..
But if you want to try it will be interesting to hear your results. Don't forget to monitor your satiety levels too you may find yourself less hungry.. but are you intending to ditch the toast too?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But the trouble with reports like this there is another 2 or more conflicting reports

For me if i eat too many whole eggs i dont feel good at all.

I have also read and watched stuff on cholesterol, some will say watch the red meat some will say something else

My liver has been checked and all ok
But i am going to try something next week as i do like my eggs and i feel its such a waste to through the yoke away.

I got my hba1c next week so i will be curious to see what has happened since my last check which was not good.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One of the first things I learned about cholesterol is that dietary cholesterol accounts for, at most, 15% of total serum cholesterol. If you could take every scrap of cholesterol from your diet, pretty nigh on impossible especially in view of the fact that plants have sterols too, your body just makes up the shortfall.

I sometimes think of it this way, just as 'the fat you eat is the fat you wear' adage is utter codswallop simply because fats are eaten, digested and metabolised then the cholesterol in our diet should be thought of in roughly the same way.

And besides, egg whites are dead boring, what do you dunk your mushrooms in if there is no yolk?