Alternatives to forxiga

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all - I’ve been told I have a type 1/type 2 hybrid. I’m on insulin but I’m very insulin resistant.

I’ve taken max dose metformin for years and was given forxiga earlier this year, but I’m going to have to stop it. I’m frequently getting up to the toilet in the night, need to drink constantly, getting frequent yeast infections and it’s impacting bladder issues.

Any experience of alternative drugs that may work better? I have a while until my next dr appointment and would like to be informed before I go.

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your weight and exercise regime like? Improvements to these can really help reduce insulin resistance, without the side effects of medications.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the same experience with this drug, I've just gone onto insulin so have stopped it.
Good luck in your search.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - I’ve been told I have a type 1/type 2 hybrid. I’m on insulin but I’m very insulin resistant.

I’ve taken max dose metformin for years and was given forxiga earlier this year, but I’m going to have to stop it. I’m frequently getting up to the toilet in the night, need to drink constantly, getting frequent yeast infections and it’s impacting bladder issues.

Any experience of alternative drugs that may work better? I have a while until my next dr appointment and would like to be informed before I go.

Sweaty betty (great name!), I'm reliably informed there are over 400 combinations of medications available to doctors for the treatment of T2 diabetes, so there are plenty options around. What's best for you will be governed by your overall condition and what you and your Doc may have tried already.

Good luck with it all.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all - I’ve just had a look at the different options (admittedly alone not different combinations) and feel thoroughly deflated. I’m already on insulin so don’t need anything that will help me produce more (because they don’t work, hence me taking insulin), I can’t face another drug with the same side effects of forxiga. The only other drug that seems to address insulin resistance is pioglitazone which makes you gain weight.

While my weight/exercise has never really impacted my diabetes/insulin resistance (and I’ve yoyoed over the years) I don’t want to risk further weight gain.

Has anyone found a change in insulin type has helped? I’m currently on novorapid.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a quick update. I stopped forxiga about 2 weeks ago. After a couple of bad days my blood sugar has been ok - better than when taking it!
Not sure what to put it down to - I was waking up 3-4 times a night to either pee or have a drink, so maybe I’m more rested. But otherwise I have no clue - just trying to make the most of it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you never needed the Forxiga in the first place.

If your levels are doing well with your insulin, why do you need another drug?

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Because my levels were awful - double figures the majority of the time. And not decreasing with additional insulin (& metformin).

I can’t explain it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Because my levels were awful - double figures the majority of the time. And not decreasing with additional insulin (& metformin).

I can’t explain it.

It could just be you need your insulin doses changing and a carb counting course - have you been offered one?

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have done a course but a while ago. I’m hoping my insulin settings will go down at my next appointment but it still doesn’t explain why coming off forxiga has improved things dramatically.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done a course but a while ago. I’m hoping my insulin settings will go down at my next appointment but it still doesn’t explain why coming off forxiga has improved things dramatically.

No it doesn't, but don't knock it!

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And now bizarrely they’ve gone back up to double figures today. I’ve changed my pump set and libre and levels have gone from below 7 consistently to between 11-21. I give up!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And now bizarrely they’ve gone back up to double figures today. I’ve changed my pump set and libre and levels have gone from below 7 consistently to between 11-21. I give up!

I think you need some help from pumper users. Perhaps put a post in the T1 forum? I'm afraid I can't help.
@Jaylee and @Juicyj are on-line. Perhaps they can put you in touch with some.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sweaty betty - Could you please confirm your diabetes type. Your mix of treatment regimes along with yourr pumper status is a bit unusual.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sweaty betty

As a pumper myself I only use novorapid, it's effective so insulin would only a problem if it had gone off, so if I was running high I'd change it and use a fresh bottle, also check your cannula sites, if you have lumps it would cause absorption issues so ensure you have good rotation sites. Still high then you could be coming down with a bug which raise your levels or have a dental infection.

Have you done DAFNE and are you ok with doing correction boluses ?

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there - thanks & sorry for the delay in response - Christmas etc...

So I’m told I’m a type 1/2 hybrid. Originally diagnosed as t2 but starting hba1c of 12. Type 2 meds not ever very effective on me. Frequently asked if I was sure I wasn’t t1 but antibodies were never detected (I’m now told that they don’t always show up).

Switched to insulin when I became pregnant & never looked back, much easier to control etc. Kept taking metformin throughout but recently insulin resistance has been getting worse, so tried forxiga.

I’ve taken myself off forxiga now & bg was great previous week. But rubbish again this week!

I’m on novo rapid via a pump but I’m wondering if it’s the sites I’m having a problem with...