Honeymoon Extension Evidence?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Insulin itself doesn’t extend the honeymoon period, but insulin helps us control our blood sugar levels by keeping them close to normal levels.
There is much evidence that high sugar levels destroy our insulin making beta cells. Dr Bernstein my solution book clearly identifies this..... he says keep sugar levels to 4.8 prior to meals and 6.8 two hours after eating can prolong the honeymoon period to upto 10 years. He has seen thousands of patients and is a T1 himself.

I am 5 years into the honeymoon period, and follow Dr Bernstein Solution. My NHS consultant notes have me as T1 in the honeymoon period. No reference to Lada or T1.5, he says I am, but the NHS don’t use these terms.
I believe the honeymoon period simply refers to a T1 person that still has some working beta cells, thus does not need so much insulin as a full T1.

I once asked my consultant how many beta cells he thought I have remaining. His reply was around 300,000.... and that a normal non diabetic has around 10 million.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is possible that the autoimmune process in type1 is being driven by inslin or a byproduct of the bete cells making inslin. If (and it is not proven yet) this is the case, then reducing how much inslin the bete cells makes with low carbs may slow down the autoimmune process. (external inslin will also reduce the byproducts the bete cells make by allowing them to be less active)

It is also possible the autoimmune process is driven by grains (eg wheat) low carb would also help if that is true.

What if the process is partly driven by high BG?

Currently research is starting to show that their are many drivers for the autoimmune process in type1 and that it is different between people.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My c-peptide 3 months after diagnosis was 281 against a fasting BG of 6.5

I had 70g of carbs (glucose test) and after 2 hours it was 956 against BG of 15.4

Roll forward a year and c-peptide of 399 against fasting BG of 8.7. Two hours after 70g of carbs it was 799 against BG of 19.7

So I'm still producing some insulin 15 months post diagnosis just very 'sluggish'. I certainly can't manage without it and I've upped by background dose since then to bring my fasting levels down. Aged 43 at diagnosis.

Reactions: SueJB

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi. T1.5 is the same as T1 but is defined as T1 that comes on later in life. There will often be a honeymoon period and insulin will only be needed early on if blood sugar is too high despite a low-carb diet.
Hi @diabell Just checking are you saying that insulin will not be needed after the initial period?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I was diagnosed 2 years ago as T1. But until the anti-GAD test came back as positive it was assumed to be T2 (this was about 2 months) Because of that I did a lot of research, reached the conclusion that I needed to go low-carb and made the change.

This change obviously helped my pancreas and 2 years on no insulin and a Hb1ac of 34. I’ve had my c-peptide done twice and both times it was normal, which is to be expected as my pancreas is still working and not under pressure.

I do take metformin as this helps a little with ensuring my body uses insulin effectively.

If I had continued to eat a normal carb diet then I would definitely need insulin.

Even when I do need insulin I won’t be changing my diet.
@fionaclare so did they decide you are T1 or 2 and how did you stop taking insulin. Very interested

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It is possible that the autoimmune process in type1 is being driven by inslin or a byproduct of the bete cells making inslin. If (and it is not proven yet) this is the case, then reducing how much inslin the bete cells makes with low carbs may slow down the autoimmune process. (external inslin will also reduce the byproducts the bete cells make by allowing them to be less active)

It is also possible the autoimmune process is driven by grains (eg wheat) low carb would also help if that is true.

What if the process is partly driven by high BG?

Currently research is starting to show that their are many drivers for the autoimmune process in type1 and that it is different between people.
Sorry, I don't understand your point about insulin @ringi

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@fionaclare so did they decide you are T1 or 2 and how did you stop taking insulin. Very interested

I’ve never had insulin at all. My initial hb1ac wasn’t at a level where you would prescribe insulin.

By the time they did the anti-GAD results, that came back positive (so I’m definitely T1) my blood sugar readings were stable and low enough to again not-warrant insulin. If they had prescribed at that stage I would have a lot of lows.

This is mostly because I decided right at the beginning to cut carb consumption right back. From what I understand it has resulted in my beta cells getting some respite and I’m basically in a pro-longed honeymoon.

I’m in NZ and the doctors I’ve seen are supportive of the low-carb approach. Mostly because my bloods speak for themselves. I also understand diabetes from a body chemistry point of view. As one of them said, I’d do better than some of their medical students on the exam.

As I said, if I’d followed standard diet advice, then I’d probably need insulin.

Hollie474

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone’s doctor actually say that it’s possible to extend the honey moon period?
As mine thought type 1 but due to s long honeymoon aren’t sure anymore and want to trial no insulin.. but when I feel like it can’t be an exact science so i’m not sure on if I agree with the doctor

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone’s doctor actually say that it’s possible to extend the honey moon period?
As mine thought type 1 but due to s long honeymoon aren’t sure anymore and want to trial no insulin.. but when I feel like it can’t be an exact science so i’m not sure on if I agree with the doctor

My doctor has said that there isn’t a prescribed way to pro-long the honeymoon, but what I’m doing has worked for me so keep doing it & testing to make sure it is still working.

Presumably you have been tested for anti-bodies. If they are present you have T1, but if you are producing insulin then you may not need to inject yourself.

Longest honeymoon I’ve heard of is 11 years and quite a few of 2-5 years.

Reactions: Ian DP