Silly question.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 in June 2018. Since diagnosis I have been following a LCHF diet and doing quite well.
Now the silly question.
I have found that I am unable to eat large meals if I try to. I feel full up very quickly and cannot finish the meal, especially if I have a takeaway treat with the wife.
Is this the norm, not being able to eat a large meal for us type 2's.? Before I was diagnosed I could eat eat eat. Now I cannot.
My medication is 1 x 1000 sr metformin daily.
Thanks all.

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of large meals are we talking about (food content)? and what would you define as "large"?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin has an appetite suppressant function
Additionally when eating high carb there is a kind of roller coaster effect where the more carbs you eat the hungrier you get and the sooner after eating you get hungry
http://www.nutritiontotheedge.com/how-blood-sugar-affects-your-health-and-energy/
Eating low carb flattens the roller coaster out
Edited to add
The roller coaster applies to both diabetic and non diabetic people - for those of us with diabetes, tho it is more problematic and the actions taken about carbs ( type nd number) usually need to be more restrictive

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you have cut down on carbs and raised the level of healthy fats in your meals then the fats satisfy you much sooner and for longer so those huge meals become a thing of the past eventually as you become 'full' alittle earlier. It becomes a (good) habit.

Well done.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I found that not eating carbs made my food volume smaller.
Also the meat and vegetable matter will maybe take some extra process time.
With the smaller volume I think your stomach will shrink, contract at least. So less space for food.

Could be as simple as the take away spikes your sugar telling your brain your good much earlier because your settled on a lower average bg because of lchf.

And it could also be cos it rained in Holland and the bloke in the blue car picked his nose. Diabetes is a round peg in a square hole on a rectangular day.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have cut down on carbs and raised the level of healthy fats in your meals then the fats satisfy you much sooner and for longer so those huge meals become a thing of the past eventually as you become 'full' alittle earlier. It becomes a (good) habit.

Well done.
Thank you. Yes I have cut back on the carbs and improved my overall diet. When I stick with this I am great. When I go back to old eating habits I get full very quickly. I do feel that the huge meals are a thing if the past.

M

Member496333

Well done.

Yes indeed. Once you’ve left the glucose/insulin cycle behind, and in particular cut out excess fructose, leptin begins to function normally again. You eat to satiety while everyone else around you eats until their stomach is overflowing but still finds room for desert.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There may also be currency in the 'stomach shrinking' idea in that I think the stress receptors in the stomach get to learn to do their job more efficiently. Just a random thought here, though.

M

Member496333

Very possibly a combination of both. Although I understand that leptin delivers the feeling of “fullness” irrespective of the contents of the stomach. Our bodies are wonderous machines!

In any case yes, LCHF definitely results in eating smaller meals and never feeling like you’re about to explode :D

(Unless you forcibly overeat!)

Reactions: Marcus1234

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat my evening meal on a sandwich plate and still moan at my wife for giving me too much so I think maybe if you eat less, you can only eat less, I used to consider myself a powereater

On a side note, after using the freestyle libre, I will never ever ever eat another naan bread, not as a treat or as a last meal if I am ever offered one before my execution, I would drink a bucket of lucozade in front of a naan bread, the effect that doughy slab of lovelyness had on my bg was frankly shocking!

Edit to add, I'm hard to shock lol im used to very high blood sugars

Reactions: Marcus1234