Exercise and BG

Mags52

Hi Folks
The other night I had some strange BG results so thought someone on here might be able to explain them for me. I was out with friends and had scampi and chips in the pub (I know! :oops: ) and soda water and lime. Then after an hour we went off and played an hour of really hard badminton. I had this vague idea that the hard exercise would offset the high carb meal.
After I got home (by now 3 hours after eating) my BG was 11.3 - not great. Then after another half hour I realised that I'd forgotten to wash my hands before testing so did it again - it was 12! So I tested before bed (now 4 hours since eating) and it was 12.8.
I was confused and a bit worried. I am not taking medication at the moment although this is to be reviewed in November.
I hardly ever eat high carb unhealthy food but it feels pretty grim to think that a very occasional diversion into the land of normality (and not even any beer!) can have such a bad effect.
My BG results 3 hours after eating are usually about 8.5
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mags

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
My first thought,and I stand to be corrected by the more knowledgeable,is that the hard exercise caused a liver dump of blood glucose into your system causing the higher reading.That also coupled with the high carbs from your chips!

tasha

Hi Mags,

I've been having huge problems with this recently too. Last week, my reading went so high it went off the scale of my meter.
If you exercise and the intensity is high (heart rate above 85%), your BG will actually rise. I've been really pushing myself recently and had this problem alot-making me think I'd be better off sticking to more moderate exercise.
I hope this helps!

tasha

layla42

Hi, I don't know much about this either, but have been told by another parent of a diabetic child that exercise can make BG rise. EG his son plays rugby and has to keep having novorapid injections through the match and at the end, to get his BG down.

That is obviously the opposite of what I've been told to do for my DD - give her sugar before exercise.

Layla x

bonerp

I eat something as a boost at the start of exercise which is good - but may need to shoot up by the end. I'm on a pump now and I reduce basal rates 30 mins before and until 4 hours after.
Its that glucose from the liver thats the problem!

I dont always get it right either which is the baffling thing for me. Sometimes I and ok later, sometimes high! Sometimes low mid session too! I wish there was some consistency in diabetes loL!
Paul

padulica

Hi,
I used to have that problem, I also play badminton and found that my BG was higher after playing for 2hrs...not as high as yours.
I have found that since I have been doing low carb this does not appear to happen.