Uncontrolled / miscarriage

amylouise17

Hi all just wanted a bit of advice and to let it all out really
I’ve been type 1 for almost 7 years 5 uncontrolled (9% hba1c mostly) for so many reasons.. but I do have a CGM now and I’m doing a lot better physically and mentally. I’m almost 23 and just miscarried for the second time (first 3y ago) I asked if diabetes was the cause first time around and dr said no this is common in first pregnancy. Second time around I didn’t even know I was pregnant but period was 2 weeks late and was in a lot of pain but no bleeding. After 2 negative tests Dr told me it was nothing, stress, maybe PCOS miscarried I believe at 6wks. Although I am sad about it I’m more shocked and worried. Always been told how important it is to control and the risks and complications but this miscarriage has hit me hard. Constantly thinking about my future- whether I’ll be able to have children, will this happen again, will I ever control like everyone else seems to etc. !
Has anything like this happened before to anyone else but managed to turn it round. We weren’t trying but will in the next year or so I hope when I’m healthy enough. I will do anything I can to sort my self out now as really want to be prepared and as healthy as I can be - not just for pregnancy, for life but can’t shake this feeling and worry now. Thanks all for taking the time to read. X
Amy

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When I had my first miscarriage a doctor told me that 60% of women lose their first pregnancy and for the majority of all miscarriages the cause is unknown. All you can do is be as healthy and as stress free as you possibly can be. Take heart, I had four lost pregnancies but in between I had three huge, gorgeous sons.
All the best.

Reactions: KK123

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Guzzler
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all just wanted a bit of advice and to let it all out really
I’ve been type 1 for almost 7 years 5 uncontrolled (9% hba1c mostly) for so many reasons.. but I do have a CGM now and I’m doing a lot better physically and mentally. I’m almost 23 and just miscarried for the second time (first 3y ago) I asked if diabetes was the cause first time around and dr said no this is common in first pregnancy. Second time around I didn’t even know I was pregnant but period was 2 weeks late and was in a lot of pain but no bleeding. After 2 negative tests Dr told me it was nothing, stress, maybe PCOS miscarried I believe at 6wks. Although I am sad about it I’m more shocked and worried. Always been told how important it is to control and the risks and complications but this miscarriage has hit me hard. Constantly thinking about my future- whether I’ll be able to have children, will this happen again, will I ever control like everyone else seems to etc. !
Has anything like this happened before to anyone else but managed to turn it round. We weren’t trying but will in the next year or so I hope when I’m healthy enough. I will do anything I can to sort my self out now as really want to be prepared and as healthy as I can be - not just for pregnancy, for life but can’t shake this feeling and worry now. Thanks all for taking the time to read. X
Amy

HI Amy, I had miscarried in July 1999 at 8 weeks, I had some bleeding, had an emergency appointment with my GP then sent to hospital and the baby had died, so I decided if it was going to happen, I wanted to be at home and I was.
In October 2000, I had my wonderful daughter, at the age of 42 1/2 years, she is 18 now. A miscarriage is often down to mother nature.
Good luck and I wish you all the very best x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing useful to contribute, other than as others stated, a lot of first pregnancies go wrong. I didn't realise I had been pregnant (at 18) until after I miscarried. Turns out I most likely can't carry a baby to term anyway due to a malformed uterus, even if I should manage to get pregnant, which is hard with PCOS. A lot of women have obstacles on their way. I know three of my friends who have kids now had problems... Two of them had gestational diabetes, between the three of them there were 3 miscarriages that I know of, and one had to jump through IVF hoops which failed to "take" over and over, just to spontaneously fall pregnant a few years after they stopped trying. It's not always easy, but I'm an aunt to a lot of kids whom their mothers barely dared hope to ever have. But they're there none the less, in spite of difficulties at first.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry. Don't give up, it's not hopeless. And be gentle with yourself eh.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Amy, just to add to what others have said, myself and many friends have had miscarriages dotted in between children! I have 3 beautiful children and 4 or 5 miscarriages in between. Please don't give up or think that that's it, diabetes or not, pregnancy can be tricky. I do hope you find some comfort from these posts. I would go so far as to say YOU are raising your chances of success because you are striving to be healthy, already under the Drs so have regular blood tests, etc and are clearly fully committed to doing all you can. x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @amylouise17, my condolences to you and family. AS a male I cannot call from direct experience but I have read that there are a number of tests which can be done to help identify possible causes for recurring miscarriages. see drchrisrussell.com.au - recurrent miscarriages for example.
In particular I note that where one autoimmune disorder like T1D is present other disorders can be more likely such as thyroid disease (see reference above) can be more likely and including coeliac disease (see www.preventmiscarriage.com/celiac-disease-miscarriage.hmtl.
Best Wishes !!:):):)

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hugs for you @amylouise17 from one who lost two pregnancies and finally went on to have two beautiful children - blessings from God indeed.....Please give yourself the time to grieve....be gentle with yourself....think about what you need to focus on now to become the healthiest you can be and see if that doesn't make you feel that you are preparing for the time when you and hubby decide it is time to try and have a baby! Hugs & prayers/L

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @amylouise17. I am so sorry for your losses. I had miscarriages many years before I became a Type 1. There are many reasons for them. However, you are doing the right thing by being proactive about control and general health. All these things will help you mentally. Do not be afraid to push for further investigations through your GP if you feel that will help also.
Another good port of call is the Miscarriage Association. They were a life saver for me. There was a self help group to go to which I got so involved in I eventually ended up going to talk to newly miscarried women. Talking to people in similar situations was invaluable for me in moving forward. It may not be for you but it is there.
Don’t lose heart, grieve, but also be positive and proactive.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just to add that when you are about to try again, ask to be referred to a pre-conception diabetes team. They can help you get sugars better and make sure your body is ready to give things the best chance.

amylouise17

Not sure if you can all see this reply as I am still new to the forum and how the posts work
Just want to thank you all for your comments, advice and kind words.. really has comforted me hearing stories from you all, Feeling optimistic.. I am somewhat glad this happened as it’s opened my eyes.. Thank you again for your well wishes, sending love to you and your families. Hope you all have a merry Christmas ❤️ See you around the forum..

Reactions: becca59

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure if you can all see this reply as I am still new to the forum and how the posts work
Just want to thank you all for your comments, advice and kind words.. really has comforted me hearing stories from you all, Feeling optimistic.. I am somewhat glad this happened as it’s opened my eyes.. Thank you again for your well wishes, sending love to you and your families. Hope you all have a merry Christmas ❤️ See you around the forum..
We can see your reply post, @amylouise17 . Thank you, and very best wishes to you, too.
Please stick with us, and let us know how you are doing.