Testing for 1.5/LADA

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I had my first diabetes check up since my diagnosis on 1st November 2018. Initially it was believed that I had type 2 diabetes, but since my appointment today they are now talking about Type 1.5.

The reason being that I am only 26 years old and very healthy and active and they do not think I am a true type 2. The check up in general went ok, no problems with my feet, blood pressure etc. I have dropped a little bit of weight (around half a stone) since the diagnosis. Although this may not seem like a lot to most people, I was not overweight to begin with. I now sit at 9 stone 7 and I am 5ft 7.

My initial treatment was 1 metformin 2 times a day and although they has decreased my levels, they are still just above where they should be. I am currently doing exams which has meant that on a couple of mornings of my exams I have been at 14!! However, they have gone down over the course of the day back to around 7/8.

The doctor has suggested doubling my metformin to 2 twice a day for now before talking about glycazide (sp?). I am going to start the increased dose of metformin next week after my exams are done as I don't want to experience my first hypo in an exam.

I wondered if anyone else had a similar experience that could share any tips they may have?

also could someone clarify if there is a specific test they do to establish type 1.5?

One good thing the doctor did say was that I am one of the most informed diabetic patients he has ever come across and I thank that to this forum!!

Thank you in advance.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
26 years old, active, thin and losing weight without trying.
That should definitely ring a bell with any doctor.

I'd go ask for a C-peptide and anti GAD test.
The first tells you something about how much insulin you're producing. High C-peptide = T2, low C-peptide is either T1 or longer standing T2. Normal could be either.
Anti GAD tests for antibodies against insulin producing cells. Positive is T1, negative is T2 or T1.
There may be exceptions to this, and of course there are some other types of diabetes as well.

There's officially no such thing as T1.5 or LADA, the antibodies just indicate it's an auto-immune condition, which makes it T1. The difference with 'traditional T1' is that it starts after childhood and that it develops more slowly, hence the regular misdiagnosis as T2.

Good luck!

Reactions: michita and SB.25

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree with Antje77. BTW spelling is 'Gliclazide'. I was on max dose for several years and not a good idea; push for insulin if you BS won't come down. Also It's very difficult to go hypo with Metformin so don't worry.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
26 years old, active, thin and losing weight without trying.
That should definitely ring a bell with any doctor.

I'd go ask for a C-peptide and anti GAD test.
The first tells you something about how much insulin you're producing. High C-peptide = T2, low C-peptide is either T1 or longer standing T2. Normal could be either.
Anti GAD tests for antibodies against insulin producing cells. Positive is T1, negative is T2 or T1.
There may be exceptions to this, and of course there are some other types of diabetes as well.

There's officially no such thing as T1.5 or LADA, the antibodies just indicate it's an auto-immune condition, which makes it T1. The difference with 'traditional T1' is that it starts after childhood and that it develops more slowly, hence the regular misdiagnosis as T2.

Good luck!
Thank you for your help, it’s really useful! This diabetes is a mindfield!

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree with Antje77. BTW spelling is 'Gliclazide'. I was on max dose for several years and not a good idea; push for insulin if you BS won't come down. Also It's very difficult to go hypo with Metformin so don't worry.
Thank you, I still think I’m going to wait to up the metformin dose (my exams finish on Sunday) so it’s only a few more days and originally I wasn’t meant to be seeing the doctor until next week anyway.

I just don’t want to risk anything for my exams as they are ones so I can qualify as a solicitor!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I still think I’m going to wait to up the metformin dose (my exams finish on Sunday) so it’s only a few more days and originally I wasn’t meant to be seeing the doctor until next week anyway.

I just don’t want to risk anything for my exams as they are ones so I can qualify as a solicitor!
Good luck with your exams! The brain works better when your bg isn't too high, so I would advise you to go easy on the carbs (fruit, sweets, bread, pasta, rice) and eat meats/vegetables/cheese/nuts instead to fill up for the next days, it will help! Even if you are T1, your numbers aren't through the roof, and diet might work for some time :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your exams.

I agree about not increasing the Metformin until the exams are over. An increased dose may well give you tummy problems and you will have to keep leaving the exam room for toilet visits. (very common side effect)

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with your exams.

I agree about not increasing the Metformin until the exams are over. An increased dose may well give you tummy problems and you will have to keep leaving the exam room for toilet visits. (very common side effect)
Yes that could also be disastrous in an exam Lol!