Free eye test question

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In the UK diabetics are entitled to a free NHS eyesight test every 2 years. However, if your eyesight is changing the optician can recommend you have a free NHS test annually.
Boots give me a free NHS test every year. I didn't ask - they just said it was free.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Boots give me a free NHS test every year. I didn't ask - they just said it was free.
Fairly recently opticians were told by the NHS that they would only pay for bi-annual checks unless there was a special need. Maybe Boots haven't caught up yet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My independent optician told me 2 years ago that I could only have one NHS eye sight test every 2 years from now on. However, I was called in again 12 months after that and still had a free one, but I have not been called in this year. (was due in November).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/free-nhs-eye-tests-and-optical-vouchers/ free if diagnosed with diabetes

And

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...nts/how-often-can-i-have-a-free-nhs-eye-test/

It's recommended that most people should get their eyes tested every 2 years..........
Your ophthalmic practitioner or optometrist may recommend you have an NHS sight test more often than every 2 years if you:
  • are a child wearing glasses
  • have diabetes
  • are aged 40 or over and have a family history of glaucoma
  • are aged 70 or over
Can I ask for an eye test more frequently?
If you're concerned about your sight before your next NHS eye or sight test is due, you should visit your ophthalmic practitioner or optometrist.

They'll be able to carry out an NHS eye test earlier than planned if it's considered clinically necessary.

If you want an eye test more often than your ophthalmic practitioner or optometrist considers clinically necessary, you'll have to pay for a private eye test.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. Found a free eye test voucher if I'm buying glasses, I just went to my specsavers and asked if I could still use it even though I don't have the money for my glasses until Monday.

They suggested rescheduling my appointment to then so I can get my free test..

In theory having different pairs of glasses is a good idea, but the reality is, just typing this I need two different ones, one for when I look down at the keyboard, another when I look back up at the screen.

As I suffer from numerous health and pain issues, it just makes my life more comfortable having all 3 lenses in one pair of glasses.
When I was working, my optician prescribed “ intermediate distance” glasses which Id never heard of before but which worked very well with computer use in terms of managing the different vision requirements of screen and keyboard use.
One thing to be aware of with specsavers ( and probably other opticians offering 2 for 1 offers) is that both pairs of glasses need to be for the same prscription ( i.e. 2 long distance, 2 short distance etc) - for different presciption lengths, Id always have to get 2 pairs of each distance length. If I was just looking for 1 of each llength, Id ignore the 2 for 1 offer and go for frames from the £25 range - lots of the frames in that range didnt appeal to me style wise, but delve around and there are some nicer ones

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Scottish NHS gives one test per year.

D

Deleted member 308541

We only get one free eye test every two years, people over sixty five get one every year.
Here's my bi focals with transition lenses I got last year, I see no need to cart two pairs of specs around including sunglasses.

lbPltHt.jpg

tuffythedog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get a free test with Specsavers once a year.
By law you don't have to buy your glasses with your opticians. But by law they have to give you a copy of your prescription.
So you could have your test, take your prescription with you and get your glasses online cheaper. Some sites you can try before you buy frames.
My last glasses only cost me £6 a pair after using a site recommend by money saving expert.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a free test with Specsavers once a year.
By law you don't have to buy your glasses with your opticians. But by law they have to give you a copy of your prescription.
So you could have your test, take your prescription with you and get your glasses online cheaper. Some sites you can try before you buy frames.
My last glasses only cost me £6 a pair after using a site recommend by money saving expert.

While true, I wouldn't want to buy tailor made varifocals online. Much rather the opticians measures everything proper;y, plus (as happened once before) I don't get on with them, they made me a pair with a different lens free of charge.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've had great success using a site called Zenni Optical. When sailing, it wouldn't be unknown for one of us to make a spectacular "donation" to Neptune, so we like to have a spare pair at all times.

Even with all the add-ons, like varifocals, transitions lenses, and the coatings, they're a fraction of the price of the High Street, and they come pretty quickly too. Of course, you have to know things like your pupiliart distance and so on, but most of the numbers you need you can garner from your existing frames, and the help guides.

set-in-stone

Just had my eyes tested.

Optician was great (Specsavers)

Bill came to £306, I said I simply couldn't afford it, and he gave me a 50% off voucher :) So my new tailor made Vari focals with reaction lenses, ultra clear etc only cost £153.

Very very happy

I’m so envious. Ha!
Mine came to £501 with same bells and whistles as yours. For 2 pairs. Had a free voucher for the eye test.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last two pairs from Zenni, with all those bells and whistles were just over £100, delivered.

Of course, I accept I run the risk of me giving them bad measurements, but things like my pupiliary distance isn't going to change, and you can "try on", using uploaded photographs, although that is imperfect.

I usually have a practical pair I can wear for everyday, and the other pair I usually choose as a pair of sunnies (optically correct etc.).

It has worked well for us, for a few years now, but I totally embrace it isn't for everyone.