Tips for 10 hour flight?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I'm having a 10-hour flight next week. Starting from 14.50 and arriving at 01.00 at night. What should I think of in terms of keeping my blood sugar balanced and what kind of snacks should I bring to keep my sugar levels norma?

D

Deleted Account

I have travelled that long (and longer) without taking any snacks with me for my flight although I always have a bar or two in my bag just in case; nothing to do with flying (or diabetes) , I just get hungry between meals sometimes.
As I am sitting still, my BG is more likely to go up rather than down.
However, I make sure I have plenty of hypo treatment. Based on previous experience, I would recommend keeping it at your seat rather than in the overhead compartment. It is a pain when the seat belt light is on and you realise you are having a hypo when you leave your stuff in your bag. Doh!

With that long in the air, I assume you will be experiencing a significant time difference.
Don't forget to adjust your basal accordingly.

Reactions: Dodo

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Based on previous experience, I would recommend keeping it at your seat rather than in the overhead compartment. It is a pain when the seat belt light is on and you realise you are having a hypo when you leave your stuff in your bag.

Yes, I keep meter, hypo treatment and insulin with me at my seat for that reason. I also find it's quite easy to go hypo when wandering the miles and miles of corridors at an airport :). (Going through customs/security with a hypo is not fun.)

Reactions: Dodo

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Just keep an eye on your level and keep an eye on when your basal should happen. adjust as you can until you settle into your new time zone.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done quite a lot of long haul flying (see profile pic!). I always make sure I get a Lucozade once through security. The last thing I want is a massive hypo. I also make sure I split my meds half way between my hold luggage and carry-on luggage. That way if one goes missing, I've still got stuff to get by on.

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also travel a lot and like everyone else keep my insulin/blood tester and a small supply of food on hand at my seat. I actually begin to adjust my basal insulin a few days before traveling, knocking it back (or forward) an hour at a time to bring it more in line with the daily routine wherever you are going to. At the other end, my blood sugars usually take a few days to even out - you will be hungry at the wrong times believe me! Oh, and don't put insulin in your hold luggage as its not temperature regulated. If traveling with someone else, you can always ask to put some spare supplies in their hand luggage! Other than that, just monitor, monitor, monitor, and have an awesome time!!

Jeffdh

I travelled to China this year.
Basically my basal injections went from evening to getting up first thing in the morning, with the time difference.
As for the flight, if the foods okay and you inject as you eat. Remember the portions are smaller. Also drink plenty of water, not only keeps you hydrated but will help with any jetlag time difference apparently!
I carried jelly babies as a hypo treatment. Snacks you can take whatever your comfortable with. A lot of haul flights offer snacks, but again they maybe loaded with carbs.
Might be worth mentioning to flight attendant you need to inject. All planes are meant to carry a sharps box. Good wat to get rid of needles
Most of all enjoy it.