Medtronic 640g - 4 failed pumps

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all , I’m wondering if anyone else has been experiencing problems with the Medtronic 640g.

I started on the pump in April , and I’ve had 4 fail on me , I’m now on my fifth! Medtronic have always been amazing and got a replacement to me straight away and I can’t fault the customer service team. However , as you can imagine I am at my wits end with it.

My first pump lasted 3 months , until it failed a self test and came up with error code 53. Medtronic said this was a software failure and a replacement was sent.

Pump 2, no alarms or errors but more worryingly so it was spurting insulin out. I had bolused for my dinner and then disconnected for a shower. Insulin was dripping out the end and my basal was on 0.4 at the time. I called Medtronic , we ran through some tests with the motor and it was continuing to kick insulin out. Pump replaced.

Pump 3, a week later i had bolused for breakfast and 0.3 units in, it alarmed and said no delivery and had 3 error codes : 42, 3 and 54. Medtronic said this was a motor error and pump replaced.

Pump 4- sound went on the pump and the infamous error code 53 reappeared and Medtronic said I needed yet another new pump.

Understandably my confidence has completely gone and the replacement is still in its Jiffy bag. Has anyone else experienced these problems - I just can’t believe how poor quality and unreliable these pumps seem to be!?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow! Poor you. I've only had little hiccups with pumps. The worst was getting "Replace battery" several times in less than 24 hours.

The pump is the best thing that happened to me since diagnosis 40 years ago (this week). You have been very unfortunate and you couldn't be blamed for giving up on the pump, but once they send you out a decent one, and you get all your basals sorted, you will think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Please persevere and get that latest pump set up. If you have problems with this one, contact your Medtronic Rep (if you don't know the rep, ask your DSN for their number.) Something must be done to help you, so go for it!

Good luck!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @sophc, Each insulin pump manufacturer will have a quality control system to attempt to reduce pump faults to a minimum.
You seem to have copped all the 'dud' pumps and that does not speak well of the company despite its apparent excellence in dealing with the faults.
The occasions when a pump pushed out too much or too little insulin are worrying, particularly as in the 'too much' example it could have remained unnoticed before leading to a hypo or repeated hypos..
Other pump manufacturers do have failure and error rates too but of course finding out how often etc is going to be a close kept secret.
Whether the new Medtronic pump due to reach the UK ? soon is any better, who knows?
For completeness sake it might be worth asking about what alternative pumps/pump brands are available to you and seeing what various forums say about them in terms of reliability, error and failure rate.
Best Wishes.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I'm on my second. This is to try and resolve enlite sensor to pump issues.
I do know their enlite sensors / pump are very unreliable for me at least. I think they have dropped the ball on QA.
The Medtronic help line has been great up until my call a few nights ago. The person I spoke to was insulting, patronising, know it all pompous git. I will be putting in a formal complaint to my local Medtronic office on Monday.

Reactions: kitedoc

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a 640G for about eighteen months, no issues so far. Maybe you've just got a run of duds? Really disappointing for you, though, it must be tough.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@sophc - in the 640Gs early days there were a lot of problems like this with the pumps. Sorry that you've had to go through it. I'd suggest having a chat with your clinic and asking them if you can change to a different one.

Reactions: Engineer88

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@sophc - in the 640Gs early days there were a lot of problems like this with the pumps. Sorry that you've had to go through it. I'd suggest having a chat with your clinic and asking them if you can change to a different one.

It’s so disheartening , it’s causing me a lot of anxiety . I asked but our local clinic offers Medtronic , to get another pump I have to transfer out to another hospital. ☹️

Reactions: kitedoc

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
4 pumps!!!! That's awful!! I have an Animas Vibe which I love but my warranty is up and I've chosen a 640g. This was ordered for me back in September but I'm still waiting as they have supply issues. Having read your post and other posts about reservoir problems etc I feel totally sick with fear about moving to Medtronic. I have had great control with Animas for 8 years and now it feels like I will be going backwards with an unreliable company. I have 3 children, one special needs, so I can't be having problems like you have experienced and I don't have time to do numerous injections instead. Plus my control would be awful on mdi. I really, really hope your fifth pump works as they should.

Reactions: sophc and Jollymon

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
4 pumps!!!! That's awful!! I have an Animas Vibe which I love but my warranty is up and I've chosen a 640g. This was ordered for me back in September but I'm still waiting as they have supply issues. Having read your post and other posts about reservoir problems etc I feel totally sick with fear about moving to Medtronic. I have had great control with Animas for 8 years and now it feels like I will be going backwards with an unreliable company. I have 3 children, one special needs, so I can't be having problems like you have experienced and I don't have time to do numerous injections instead. Plus my control would be awful on mdi. I really, really hope your fifth pump works as they should.
@sophc has been particularly unfortunate and the supply problems Medtronic is having is definitely dreadful for the ones who are running short. I have been with Medtronic for over 8 years and have always found them helpful when I have had problems. The one thing I don't like is that they never give a reason for any production difficulties (this is the 2nd I have encountered.) To be fair, they have never let me run out of items, but I have been worried.

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hey :) Medtronic themselves have been extremely good in getting replacement pumps out, they always arrived same day or at worst the following. I can’t fault their customer service.

2 of my pumps were part of a field safety notice recall but that issue has now been resolved , and all new pumps have the software update so you won’t have that problem. Like dancer said , I think I’ve just had the worst luck.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
My second pump arrived today. Wasn't getting sound and vibrate, or it was intermittently working. Now I've got to set up a new pump but there doesn't seem to be a way of backing up settings and copying them over. Even through Carelink (the option is there to save settings as a pdf but not copy over). Fun.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I had my animas replaced twice in 3 years. Only been on the med 8 months. Sounds like horrendous luck as others have said. I know the fear and panic though. What has your DSN and Endo said ?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my animas replaced twice in 3 years. Only been on the med 8 months. Sounds like horrendous luck as others have said. I know the fear and panic though. What has your DSN and Endo said ?

Had my pump clinic check this week and there is still no sign of my 640g so they are going to chase it. The clinic is aware there have been quite a few problems with Medtronic recently regarding supply and faulty products but they hope this is due to taking on Animas customers and will rectify itself. I have no choice but to move to another pump and they feel the 640 is one of the best so I have to hope they are right.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a 640g for two years, and I'm about to get the third one.

To be fair, the last one was probably down to faulty infusion sets, as shortly after I returned it with a problem which could have been either, they recalled that batch of infusion sets

I'm on holiday and my second pump started alarming with an error. I had to take the battery out then couldn't get it working again. Looks like it may be a motor problem; Medtronic have usually been very good, but can't replace it until I return so back on pens for the next few weeks.

Next time I have a choice I'll get a pump which allows closed looping from a phone, and whose manufacturer is more cooperative with the various open source initiatives.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi - I have the same pump and have had a couple of complete battery failures which have left me panicking.
At what point should I contact Medtronic in case there’s a problem with my pump? Or is it not unusual to have these battery failures?

TessG83

Omg.... Soph... I'm on pump #4 (640g) after 1 episode in A&E with DKA after my pump was blocked & GAVE NO WARNING!
Pumps 2 & 3 have continuously given me "Insulin Flow Block" errors while I've gone back to my Novopens.
I feel your pain, I don't trust my pump & am honestly anxious all the time about high BSLs & the dreaded error beeps!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome @TessG83 sorry to hear about your DKA episode, what was Medtronics response on this ?

I have insulin flow block a few times recently and rang up to discuss, I discovered that my pump had developed a hairline crack across the battery compartment so ended up a day later with a new pump and touch wood it's been ok since, so please check your pump regularly for cracks, as I sleep with mine in a belt I can only assume it had weakened over time as I rarely take it off and was perhaps the pressure of sleeping on it, however this is my third pump now with a hairline crack.

Reactions: kitedoc and TessG83

TessG83

Hi and welcome @TessG83 sorry to hear about your DKA episode, what was Medtronics response on this ?

I have insulin flow block a few times recently and rang up to discuss, I discovered that my pump had developed a hairline crack across the battery compartment so ended up a day later with a new pump and touch wood it's been ok since, so please check your pump regularly for cracks, as I sleep with mine in a belt I can only assume it had weakened over time as I rarely take it off and was perhaps the pressure of sleeping on it, however this is my third pump now with a hairline crack.
I'm glad they sorted the issue out for you! That must be a relief!

Medtronic have been very patient but can't give me an answer as to why this keeps happening.

I spent Friday at the endocrinology department with a Medtronic representative & my diabetes educator & they can't explain why it keeps happening either.

*tears hair out*

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Tess it would help to merge your two threads as it can get confusing, let me know ?

TessG83

Hi Tess it would help to merge your two threads as it can get confusing, let me know ?
The other thread isn't mine.. it was an older thread from another user. I'm honestly say my wits end with all this & just need to know I'm not alone