Feeling down

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I'm sorry for lots of questions and posts but as a newly diagnosed prediabetic I just wondered if you can still get problems/symptoms? I just feel really low/tired and nauseous with headaches and dizziness. My eyes have changed considerably over the last few months and my optician just said it's my age...but I'm short sighted and now if I wear my glasses at work I can't see paperwork etc as it's so blurry. It's still getting worse and I only had a eye test 3 months ago. I keep thinking this is all in my head but it's been going on for a while. My bladder also feels tender although I have no pain when weeing. Sorry for the long post, I just feel rubbish right now and this group has already been amazing..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blurry vision is normal for rapidly changing blood sugars because the eyes have to adjust for it. So it happens when bg gets too high, but it also happens if you're used to having high bg and manage to get it lower.
Do you have a meter and use it to keep an eye on you bg? It might give you helpful hints as to why you feel rubbish.

Reactions: AngiH

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with what @Antje77 says above .. if your blood sugars have been a bit high and then start to lower it can cause all sorts of odd things to happen including blurring of vision as you eyes acclimatise to lower blood sugar levels. If you have significantly cut carbs out of your diet you could also be having a bit of "keto flu" which can make you feel a bit rubbish for a few days.. it will pass.. we've all been there. Maybe try some extra salt as changing diet can mean we miss out on salt especially.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to confess I haven't started the low carb diet yet, I was going to 'enjoy' Christmas 1st as we have bought all our food and have family coming...but maybe although I only have Prediabetes I should start now?? For the same reason I have yet to get a monitor, so I'm guessing until I get this I won't know what's going on. I have to be careful with salt due to high blood pressure. Thank you as always for advice.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I'm sorry for lots of questions and posts but as a newly diagnosed prediabetic I just wondered if you can still get problems/symptoms? I just feel really low/tired and nauseous with headaches and dizziness. My eyes have changed considerably over the last few months and my optician just said it's my age...but I'm short sighted and now if I wear my glasses at work I can't see paperwork etc as it's so blurry. It's still getting worse and I only had a eye test 3 months ago. I keep thinking this is all in my head but it's been going on for a while. My bladder also feels tender although I have no pain when weeing. Sorry for the long post, I just feel rubbish right now and this group has already been amazing..
within a couple of week of diagnosis type2 {feb 2018} my eyes went odd i had to use my 1.5 readers to drive / see long distance and usre 3.5s to read [all from poundland} optitian said once i got blood sugars under control the would return to normal ...through a low carb diat ..cut out bread rice pasta grains flour biscuits cakes potatoes sugar sweets full sugar carbonated drinks... test with a meter
blurriness went pretty quick..
feb 12.5
june 5.5
sept 5.3
also lost about 24 kilos {from november 2017}

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to confess I haven't started the low carb diet yet, I was going to 'enjoy' Christmas 1st as we have bought all our food and have family coming...but maybe although I only have Prediabetes I should start now?? For the same reason I have yet to get a monitor, so I'm guessing until I get this I won't know what's going on. I have to be careful with salt due to high blood pressure. Thank you as always for advice.

Why not start slowly by getting a meter and learning about the carbs in your current diet and how it affects you?

We are all different, some get symptoms and others do not, even when the HBA1C results are at high diabetic levels. There are over a million undiagnosed people with type 2 blood sugar levels because not everyone gets the symptoms and they build up over years.

Reactions: Prem51 and AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not start slowly by getting a meter and learning about the carbs in your current diet and how it affects you?

We are all different, some get symptoms and others do not, even when the HBA1C results are at high diabetic levels. There are over a million undiagnosed people with type 2 blood sugar levels because not everyone gets the symptoms and they build up over years.
Thank you. To be honest I want to start now as I'm fed up of feeling like this, and already everything I eat I know I shouldn't so I'm not even enjoying it anymore. I've seen so many amazing stories on here and I want to do it too. I need to get a good list of foods together and start.

Reactions: Antje77 and Prem51

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. I need to get a good list of foods together and start.
Tagging @Rachox as she may have some food lists

Please don't think you have to have that perfect list to start though. Just try one meal at a time testing with your meter as we each react slighly differently to various foods. It is worth seeing for yourself how you react. For me grapes, porridge and jacket potatoes were real shockers.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last Christmas I had two Christmas dinners on consecutive days as we visited both offspring - both times my BG level was 5.6mmil/l afterwards.
I made Yorkshire puddings to take, using more eggs than normal and cream mixed into water rather than milk, and bread flour rather than ordinary. If anything they were better than 'normal' ones - there were none left, anyway.
No potatoes, as there were so many veges on offer, and dessert was a low carb trifle - almond sponge, sugar free jelly, berries, real custard extra thick cream.
There were nuts and high cocoa chocolate too, and coffee with cream.
Perhaps it would be difficult for some people to manage - but I really did not feel deprived.

Reactions: paulmh

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. To be honest I want to start now as I'm fed up of feeling like this, and already everything I eat I know I shouldn't so I'm not even enjoying it anymore. I've seen so many amazing stories on here and I want to do it too. I need to get a good list of foods together and start.
www.dietdoctor.com has loads of low carb/ketogenic recipes..