Monitor yes or no...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you thinking of a continuous monitor?
That might be over the top.
Testing a few times a day for a few weeks and sorting out just what you can and can't eat needs only a meter, test strips and a lancet device.
I am over two years from diagnosis and hardly test at all these days as I know what I normally ate put me at the top end of normal pretty consistently, and I have cut down a bit from the time of my last Hba1c test.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you thinking of a continuous monitor?
That might be over the top.
Testing a few times a day for a few weeks and sorting out just what you can and can't eat needs only a meter, test strips and a lancet device.
I am over two years from diagnosis and hardly test at all these days as I know what I normally ate put me at the top end of normal pretty consistently, and I have cut down a bit from the time of my last Hba1c test.
No not a continuous monitor, just the early days to see what I react to and what is ok.
I'm just looking round for the best monitor.
Thank you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No not a continuous monitor, just the early days to see what I react to and what is ok.
Thank you.
It might be less confusing to call it a meter.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.

Please consider the recommended meter options suggested by members unless you have lots of money to spend. Most members do well taking regular meter readings for a bit longer than a few days.

The real cost is in the test strips which can be upto £25 per pot of 50 for the latest meters with functions you might not need when all meters have similar accuracy ranges. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/iso-accuracy-standards.html

Lots of great information on the website attached to the forum.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-testing.html

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please consider the recommended meter options suggested by members unless you have lots of money to spend. Most members do well taking regular meter readings for a bit longer than a few days.

The real cost is in the test strips which can be upto £25 per pot of 50 for the latest meters with functions you might not need when all meters have similar accuracy ranges. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/iso-accuracy-standards.html

Lots of great information on the website attached to the forum.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-testing.html
Thank you I will have a look at those. I'm not worried about fancy extras just one that doesn't hurt too much haha... I'm not good with blood and needles, but hopefully I'll get used to it.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
For the first time, I have made fathead sausage rolls. I have read so much on how great they are. WOW I was really surprised how nice they are. I added some onion to the sausage rolls and sage. My son tasted one and said that you could hardly tell the difference from the ones with pastry. I made a batch of mini ones. I have been having two with some lettuce tomatoes cucumber radishes for my lunch. I will be making another batch for Christmas. I think the Pizza with the fathead dough would be lovely also for a treat. I would just make a small one for my dinner one day, also will make a Calzone with minced beef and onion herbs etc. So many variations with this dough. Oops wrong place I think..Feel free to move my post to another part of the site Admin

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you I will have a look at those. I'm not worried about fancy extras just one that doesn't hurt too much haha... I'm not good with blood and needles, but hopefully I'll get used to it.

I was worried too when I started testing, it took me a day to pluck up the courage once the meter arrived, nothing to worry about at all.

Reactions: Tux 56 and AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For the first time, I have made fathead sausage rolls. I have read so much on how great they are. WOW I was really surprised how nice they are. I added some onion to the sausage rolls and sage. My son tasted one and said that you could hardly tell the difference from the ones with pastry. I made a batch of mini ones. I have been having two with some lettuce tomatoes cucumber radishes for my lunch. I will be making another batch for Christmas. I think the Pizza with the fathead dough would be lovely also for a treat. I would just make a small one for my dinner one day, also will make a Calzone with minced beef and onion herbs etc. So many variations with this dough. Oops wrong place I think..Feel free to move my post to another part of the site Admin
Im intrigued, what are fathead sausage rolls. They sound good..

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
these sound tasty, you say its the pastry thats different, can we have details please?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Oh thank you, that looks good.
You won't be disappointed. If you go onto YouTube under Fathead sausage rolls. The lady on there takes you through step by step. When I put the sausages in the rolled out dough I added onions.

Reactions: jjraak and AngiH

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was worried too when I started testing, it took me a day to pluck up the courage once the meter arrived, nothing to worry about at all.
Have not got myself a meter yet, but last HbA1c was up, so probably need one. Would you mind telling which you are using? Have looked at them and cannot decide.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the contour next one meter, I treated myself as needed to get back into testing after my worst HBA1C. Strips are pricey but I don't need to test so much after 7 years. I know what I can eat and I mostly know if I am below 5 or above 8. (is it just me?)

If I was trying to budget or needed to test a lot, I'd buy the Tee2 as it has got decent feedback from the forum over the years. The codefree meter I believe is cheaper with the bulk buy discount codes floating around the forum but I remember the early days...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here Angi. But I think I will go for it because I have to. I am considering a meter too.

Though I seem to remember having a cholesterol test at work a few years ago when my previous employer had a health drive on, using a similar method and it was really quite easy.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably the idea is to alternate fingers and not use the same finger all the while?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
which one did you go for? Am thinking i need to test.