Over the moon

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So tomorrow I’m in with the doctor to discuss my first Hba1c results since diagnosis. But couldn’t wait till then to find out what results were so called the surgery and have had the joyous news that my Hba1c is now 32. (It was 62 on diagnosis 14th sept this year) my first ever cholesterol result came back as 4.5 - they hadn’t got the breakdown to hand but as they said it was normal I’m not overly worried, will find out exact details tomorrow.
Over the moon doesn’t cover how I feel. The nurse Who gave me the result was shocked and asked me a lot of questions about how I’d got such a good result. Well I know it’s down to this forum and you amazing people. This may only be the start, and I’ve got hopefully at least 50 more years of needing to control this but for now I think I’ll be smiling for the next 3 months :D:D:D

Reactions: JoKalsbeek
M

Member496333

Awesome! Your profile says you’re using Metformin. You could probably reduce the dose or even come off it with that sort of HbA1c :D

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awesome! Your profile says you’re using Metformin. You could probably reduce the dose or even come off it with that sort of HbA1c :D
Thank you! That’s what I’m going to suggest to the doctor tomorrow if he doesn’t lead with the idea :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Smashing job? You kicked Diabetes right in the teeth, very well done.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done! I hope they are interested. My doc and DN not been in touch or mentioned my huge reduction

Reactions: Emma_369

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done - that is a great result! Do tell them how you have done it. Every success story that medical professionals hear must help make a difference eventually!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! I hope they are interested. My doc and DN not been in touch or mentioned my huge reduction
I don’t expect my doctor to show any interest tomorrow! But was nice that the nurse who phoned at least asked a few questions and genuinely seems both surprised and pleased at the reduction

Reactions: Flora123
M

Member496333

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but I asume you achieved this mostly through LCHF/keto?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if I’ve missed it, but I asume you achieved this mostly through LCHF/keto?
Yes, I take 3 metformin a day but other than that it’s LCHF. Personally I try to stick to no more than around 60g carb a day - some days I’m nowhere near this, others somewhere around that figure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent result, and being over the moon is where you deserve to be. Congrats and well done. I hope you can keep it up. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news @Emma_369
I really love it when people come back and report on their success stories with low carb.
Your Dr should be incredibly proud too (although I wouldn't hold your breath for that!).

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent result, and being over the moon is where you deserve to be. Congrats and well done. I hope you can keep it up. :)
I hope so too. There is a tiny part of me that thinks I’ve set the bar too low now and maybe back up is the only way for the readings to go :banghead: but, putting that quickly out of my head and believing in myself that this is maintainable :)

M

Member496333

Yes, I take 3 metformin a day but other than that it’s LCHF. Personally I try to stick to no more than around 60g carb a day - some days I’m nowhere near this, others somewhere around that figure

Cool. In that case definitely shout it from the rooftops. We need to keep pushing the message.

Incidentally, and speaking only from my own experience, your HbA1c and Metformin dose (assuming 500mg) is identical to mine when I first quit. Unfortunately for me it turned out that the Metformin was doing more than I gave it credit for. My numbers crept up and I went back on it but at a reduced dose and worked down to zero from there.

Just something to keep in mind in case you do come off it and get disheartened if you see a rise in blood glucose. Consider reducing the dose gradually so that you have time to react and adjust to any changes in glucose trends.

Keep everyone updated and good luck! :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Emma. That is HbA1c to be very proud of. You have smashed it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Keep up the good work!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news! Well done. :D

Don’t forget to let us know how your appt goes tomorrow. :)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t expect my doctor to show any interest tomorrow! But was nice that the nurse who phoned at least asked a few questions and genuinely seems both surprised and pleased at the reduction

It was very nice indeed and to be praised. Sometimes that is a huge boost to a patient. It’s a good feeling

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well just come out of doctors and feel even more amazing. The doctor was full of praise (nice ego boost ;)) Asked me what diet I was following. I told him LCHF and a huge grin crossed his face. He said I have to advise you that carbs are required as part of a healthy balanced diet, however I will also tell you to shout from the rooftops to anyone that will listen about how you have got your levels down because if more diabetics were to find out about and follow that diet we would see a lot more results like this.
So I left feeling a little sorry for him - he seemed to support the LCHF yet be constrained on being able to personally promote it?
Anyway he has refused to prescribe any more metformin. He said that yes he expects a slight rise in next Hba1c but that as long as I can keep it under 42 on diet alone then diet works and he won’t prescribe tablets. I’m ok with that, although a little concerned I’m suddenly going to have a huge appetite back. I do have a few boxes of tablets left so think I’m going to drop to 2 a day then 1 then none over next couple weeks.
He said he’d be happy to go 6 months before next Hba1c as I’m clearly comfortable and confident in my diet but that if I would feel better being checked before then to just make an appointment in 3 or 4 months, choice is mine. I think I’ll do that as 6 months feels a long time especially with the drop of meds.
So that’s where I’m at for now - onwards with the LCHF, probably slightly upwards with the Hba1c but happy happy happy :D