Type 1.5 Could permanent reversal be possible with small weight loss

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only reason I'm asking this is I look after a group of patients with inflammatory joint disease. I saw a lady today who was a bit overweight but not massively so. She was diagnosed with type 2 a few years ago, when I was adding her hba1c to our records I noticed it was only 33. We got talking about her diabetes and she said she had lost may be a stone but that her diabetes was completely gone. I asked her if she ate a particular diet to keep it under control and her response was no I eat rubbish. Just got me wondering whether actually just losing weight is enough to put your body into total reversal so you can eat what you like, and whether any of you weightloss/ keto/non.diabetic hba1c guys have ever tested going back to carbs to see whether your diabetes has really gone or whether it is just in remission? Hope you don't mind me being nosey I really am curious about this! Oh and my lady has had non.diabetic hba1c for the last few years (despite the 'rubbish' she eats!)

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With type 2 or prediabetes - possibly but it would depend on maintaining the weight loss as a bare minimum.
With T1 or Lada - no but it would probably help in diabetes management
She was definitely diabetic hba1c originally was something like 52 I think. Definitely not a miserable LADA like me who has no chance of reversal! No it just made me wonder if it is possible and whether anyone else has achieved total reversal with just a bit of weight loss. I just found it interesting but couldn't question her too much because she was there for something else!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If she hasnt had an hba1c for ages, she could still be ok or she could be living in cloud cuckoo land!
With regards to recersal / remission its an area of quite a bit of dbate on the forum - pesonally I think long term remission is possible but not completes reversal and that a returnto the bodily situation in which D was first diagnosed, will see a return of diabetes. You will find some others who disagree and some who agree with my take on it

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
All things are possible the real question is is it likely and I think the answer to that is no.